Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#19837)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-28-17 10:02 PM - Post#219756    

Lions won by 3.
west coast fan

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-28-17 10:09 PM - Post#219757    
    In response to internetter

The Columbia "No Stars" knock off the Harvard "Four Stars" to the great pleasure of Aaron Rodgers and every other athlete who was not recruited very much out of high school. Congratulations to Coach Jim Engles and the entire Columbia Lion Basketball Team!

internetter 
Postdoc

01-28-17 10:14 PM - Post#219759    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Pet had to shoot at the end because of shot clock.

Johnson kept H in the game with 7 threes in 2nd, but C didn't take advantage of FTs.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-28-17 10:47 PM - Post#219760    

Great team win. Gutty performance. I was worried when obvious goal tending was not called against Harvard that we would get rattled but we didn't. Our foul shooting was atrocious or otherwise we might have been able to keep it to a three possession game.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
Harvard
01-28-17 11:04 PM - Post#219763    
    In response to Chet Forte

A huge win, one that at least partially offsets the disaster of last weekend. After a first half that was the best we've played all season, they outscored us 36-24 in the second half. We almost blew it with our lousy foul throw shooting, but we hung on, holding Harvard to .95 ORAT. Harvard frosh were plainly very athletic, but not particularly productive. In the end, Corey Johnson was the only real offensive weapon they had.

Play like this the rest of the way, and we will make it to the Palestra.

Edited by cc66 on 01-28-17 11:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-28-17 11:08 PM - Post#219765    

Now here comes the criticism/areas where improvement is needed: until I saw the box score I hadn't really focused on just how badly our offense got bogged down in the last 5 minutes. Why Luke took that three pointer at the very end is beyond me and could have cost us the game a la Cannady last year in the Princeton meltdown. Our free throw shooting is just awful and in some cases embarrassing. Meisner is underutilized and can be an all Ivy player with his size, athleticism and skills. Tape also needs more minutes. The Harvard three point guy (Johnson) was either the second coming of Steph Curry or we just couldn't find a way to cover him. I love Voss but he has to make those bunnies. And I love Rodney for his defense, athleticism and hustle, but until he develops an outside shot and learns how to make FTs he will never be in the game in the lasr five minutes. Even though they didn't score a lot of points our two point guards seemed to play Chambers and Aiken basically to a standoff.

internetter 
Postdoc

01-28-17 11:24 PM - Post#219769    

The shot clock was winding down when LP tried the long jumper.

Killingworth played an important role despite stats, and Adlesh hit some big shots.

H's rebounding on the O board was as daunting as Johnson's 7 (?) threes in the second
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-28-17 11:30 PM - Post#219770    

I must have missed the shot clock when Luke threw up the three pointer. And I agree that Killingsworth and Adlesh played well. Finally, the way H was clearing the offensive boards in the second half was also something that mystified me--our failure to box out.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
01-29-17 12:29 AM - Post#219772    

We were lucky to win this with our better than normal 3pt shooting, we were unlucky not to win by more because of our poor FT rate. But the biggest problem was the proportion of offensive board H stole from us, huge number of second chance attempts that will kill us when we play away.

We won this on turnovers and our defense deserves credit for it. Well done, on to the next weekend.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-29-17 12:55 AM - Post#219775    
    In response to Columbia Alum

Now next Friday's home game with Yale is huge as we are both 3-1. Whichever of the two teams wins this game will likely make the Ivy Postseason Tourament.. Yale is an enitrely different team from last year's squad as Sears and Sherrod have graduated and Mason is out for the season with an injury. We need a big turnout to rally our guys. We need to win this one for Alex, Maodo and Grant.

internetter 
Postdoc

01-29-17 02:30 AM - Post#219779    

Brown has been playing well; it took 4 Yale threes in 3 minutes by one Eli fy at the end of the game in Prov to beat them by 1.

Columbia's WBB came this close to stopping H's winning streak up there.
west coast fan

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
01-29-17 08:27 AM - Post#219781    

Great win last night. A win like that can really turn around a season.

This brings to mind that double OT game against Harvard three years ago, when Lo and Rosenberg stepped up to carry the Lions. We didn't win that game (due to a ridiculous foul call by the refs on Rosenberg that took the game out of Rosy's and the Lions hands), but Rosenberg and Lo emerged as stars after that game, and Columbia proceeded to go deep into the CIT tournament that year, and win it two years later.

Columbia should build on this win. If we can beat Harvard, we have no excuse for not qualifying for the Ivy Tournament.

Coby had his best game of the season. Meisner and Adlesh played very well off the bench. And our defense has improved to the point that it's now above average.

And as far as Harvard is concerned, why aren't they starting Endosomwan? I get the whole "this is the greatest recruiting class ever, blah, blah, blah", but Endosomwan is still their best big man and interior defender. To bring Z off the bench is foolish.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
01-29-17 09:18 AM - Post#219783    
    In response to Murph

Feeling much better than after last weekend.

Cornell beat Dartmouth and almost beat Harvard - they are a tough team. I'm still not happy losing to them the way we did.

I think Endosomwan doesn't start because he sometimes bogs down Harvard's offense. But yeah, I'd lean towards starting him anyway.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-29-17 11:20 AM - Post#219796    
    In response to TheLine

Kudos to Engles and Columbia. Well coached and played game last night, especially the first half+. The final 15 minutes reflected what Harvard's talent can do, but the first 20+ minutes reflected how strategic coaching can neutralize that talent.

Many Harvard fans wonder about the usage of Zena as well. Amaker has gone on record saying that he is aggressively trying to develop his younger players and exploit the resulting depth. Harvard has outscored all its Ivy opponents substantially in the second halves: 169-120 in aggregate after trailing 126-153 in the collective first halves. Columbia's intense substituting this weekend seems to ascribe to this same philosophy. If you have deep benches like Harvard and Columbia do, it's a strategy.

Possibly just as relevant is the looming Ivy Tournament. Zena played a lot last year and got hurt, impacting a big part of the season. By season's end, the shorthanded 2015-16 squad was beat up. Having 10+ well rested and experienced players will a better place to be than having ridden Zena for 3 months. Amaker can always start Zena on March 11th and play him as much as is needed. Looks like Engles is subscribing to the same approach. For example, if Columbia makes it to the Palestra, I wonder if you'll see Voss play double digit minutes as he did both games this weekend.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-29-17 11:22 AM - Post#219797    
    In response to TheLine

PS, Engles was furious at the two non-calls for goal tending. Rightfully so.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-29-17 11:28 AM - Post#219798    

So part of the reason for the nail biting at the end was the below average (horrific) free throw shooting, the missed bunnies by Voss (although I hate to criticize him), the non-calls on goal tending, the failure to restart the shot clock at the very end, and Johnson's incredibly hot hand. While nyhoops rightfully touts the ability of the H freshmen, and their ability in the second half to control the offensive glass (a real problem for us), we should feel pretty good about our freshman point guard, who played 31 gutty minutes and held his own against Chambers and Aiken. He is an excellent ball handler. I would also note that this was Meisner's third game since injuring his back, and I think he has a huge upside.

internetter 
Postdoc

01-29-17 02:06 PM - Post#219809    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

HG: shouldn't that have been on the H board? As of 1:00PM Sunday, there are no posts about the Columbia game.
west coast fan

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-29-17 04:40 PM - Post#219819    

Well, I think Yale is going to be in the tournament regardless of what happens this weekend at Columbia. Seems like a losable game, but there is a pretty big gap between them and everyone else. So dumping a road game to somebody in the next tier seems possible and not catastrophic.

I also don't think Columbia becomes a lock with a win, though it will help. This seems like a game where Yale will be favored, but a Columbia win is a very reasonable possibility. The fact that Penn and Brown both lost at home to Yale makes this a great spot for Columbia to pick up a game on their most likely competition for 4th place.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-29-17 07:17 PM - Post#219837    

It could have gone on this Board or Harvard's, but I was responding the TheLine's questioning about Zena starting. Other than responding to that thought, I was observing that Columbia and Harvard seem to be playing the deepest rotation - and honoring Columbia's zone for throwing Harvard off for much of the game. If it appeared I digressed into Amaker's strategy, it was to explain why Zena isn't playing major minutes.

cc66 
Postdoc

01-29-17 08:57 PM - Post#219851    

The protocol here is intended to keep each school's lane free of taunting. Since you weren't doing that, I thought what you wrote was a gracious and perfectly appropriate comment.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Harvard
01-29-17 09:12 PM - Post#219856    
    In response to cc66

Thanks. I apologize if I diverged from the core point, but I see similarities in the approach of our two squads in this new arrangement (i.e., league tournament). I was at the game last night and felt that Columbia really came with a well thought out defensive scheme that worked exceptionally well.

If you go back to the pre-season prognostications, I was one of the few (or the only) non-Columbia grads who picked Columbia to make the tournament. Hopefully, Harvard will come out strong at home Friday against Penn, further helping Columbia's cause.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 01-29-17 09:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-29-17 09:31 PM - Post#219857    

I have to say that Harvard is a hard team to get a bead on. They've played so many player combinations and gone up against so many different opponent approaches to each one that it's like there's a small sample for everything. Bassey looked like player-of-year material against Cornell in the second half and his name isn't coming up in this thread at all.

cc66 
Postdoc

01-29-17 09:37 PM - Post#219858    
    In response to SRP

There's a reason for that. Bassey hit a 3 pter 52 seconds into the game and was held scoreless the rest of the way.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

01-29-17 09:40 PM - Post#219860    
    In response to SRP

For the moment, Bassey is much like Cohen was to Columbia. A defender, rebounder and facilitator with a low TO rate, Bassey is filling the defensive role left by Okolie and Saunders. He held Morgan to 10 points Friday. Bassey may shoot more than Cohen, but that's likely because he's the guy being left open when opponents focus on others. He's a 'glue' guy.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
Harvard
01-30-17 08:02 AM - Post#219871    

• internetter Said:
HG: shouldn't that have been on the H board? As of 1:00PM Sunday, there are no posts about the Columbia game.

I think internetter was giving HG a slight dig on the fact that the Harvard board, which is seldom at a loss for words, is uncharacteristically quiet after their upset loss to Columbia. And HG, who is clearly jonesing for a basketball conversation, has been forced into slumming on the Columbia board.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-30-17 10:20 AM - Post#219879    
    In response to cc66

I fully agree. Your insights are always both gracious and thoughtful. We will be analyzing this instant classic for the rest of the week.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:44 AM