Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dartmouth/Harvard        (Topic#19847)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-31-17 02:57 PM - Post#220014    

It has been a long break and the Tigers have experienced some issues in the past even with a warm up Division III game. Princeton is probably fortunate to have the first game of the weekend at Dartmouth.

Appears to be a good match up for the Tigers based on the offensive and defensive strengths/weaknesses of Dartmouth. Will be interesting to see if Coach H puts Stephens or Miller on Boudreaux. Tigers offense should be able to move the ball for some open looks.

Three risks are probably rust, complacency or simply being the visiting team plus it is the Ivy League regular season and anything can happen when you are the road team. Vegas spread should be in mid to upper teens?

Coach has said over the past several years that a seasoned club has a competitive advantage based on the Ivy League back to backs. Let's see if Weisz, Cook and Henderson keeps the boys focused on Friday night. Some big games coming up on the road with Harvard and Penn.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
Re: Dartmouth/Harvard
02-01-17 02:11 PM - Post#220065    
    In response to bradley

Two out of the next three would be just fine for me, especially if one of the wins comes at Penn.

I'd love to damage Penn's chances of making the tournament and thereby lessen the possibility of playing on their home court with ncaa bid on the line.

As far as this weekend's games are concerned, I agree it's fortunate that we play Dartmouth first, even though any league road game is tough, I think they can win at Dartmouth without playing their "A" game.

Harvard scares me. I've only seen them a little bit this year, but Aiken looks very dangerous to me, Chambers appears to be back to his old self, and they're really big. It seems to me they are better than their record indicates. A win for the Tigers in Cambridge would be a very pleasant surprise to me.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-01-17 07:42 PM - Post#220087    
    In response to Petrie

I've seen Harvard a few times and have been underwhelmed, although they clearly have a lot of individual talent. They do seem to play to the perceived level of the opposition somewhat, so that portends a tough game.

The main thing against them is to play physical basketball on the boards and avoid turnovers; if they can get about the same number of shots as Harvard, the Tigers should outscore them. It will be interesting to see how MH guards Aiken--it would be tempting to put someone like Stephens or Cook on him and accept the size mismatch elsewhere, or else to insert another big. But more likely we'll see the small lineup at crunch time as we have recently.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-01-17 08:02 PM - Post#220094    
    In response to SRP

I think the last Tiger win in Cambridge was in 2009-2010 season. Those guys might be entirely too comfortable.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-01-17 08:10 PM - Post#220096    
    In response to sparman

Wow! I forgot that Princeton plays 5 games in 11 days - 3 on the road! Tuesday game at Penn will really test depth and conditioning of both squads.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-01-17 09:17 PM - Post#220098    
    In response to sparman

As you point out, the Tigers have not enjoyed success in Cambridge over the past six years -- very tough environment for them. It will be interesting to see if the seniors respond to the challenge in playing Amaker's young and still developing team. I am sure that Henderson has carefully studied the Crimson's uneven performances at Cornell and Columbia and how to attack Harvard's defense which will probably hold the key to the game. Penetration and ball movement seems to work although as always, players need to knock down shots.

It would have been helpful to have Brase on the boards as Harvard will have the rebounding edge.

To different degrees, both teams have not reached expectations to date but this game is a good measuring stick as to where they are. The Tigers may be a 2 pt favorite depending on what happens Friday night. As a Tiger fan, I almost hope that the Crimson win Friday night as Princeton could be facing a desperate team on Saturday if they lose to Penn.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-03-17 12:45 PM - Post#220235    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

You are absolutely correct as to a challenging stretch for the Tigers over the next 11 days. The Ivy League regular season has always presented special challenges for each team during the course of the season and this stretch is one for the Tigers, especially with the rescheduling of the Penn game due to the IL Tournament. It will not be easy for the Tigers but that is the way it should be.

The difference this year coming out of this challenging stretch is are you still part of the four team mix. Pre-IL Tournament, John Houseman's famous Smith Barney words "We earn it" was a fitting way to describe who went to the Big Dance representing the IL. Although the IL Tournament will be "exciting" for sure, it is certainly a different way to decide who represents the league and probably, a reflection of the times that we live in.

Let's hope that the Tigers meet the challenge over the next 11 days but you never know. To me, winning the IL regular season remains the ultimate testament as to the skill and fortitude of a team.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.495 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 PM