Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#19868)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-04-17 09:59 PM - Post#220504    
    In response to TigerFan

Wow! Plenty of grit and maturity there. Cook with the huge OR on the missed FT and then they get the stop on Johnson's off-balance trey.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
Harvard
02-04-17 10:00 PM - Post#220505    
    In response to SRP

Wow. Just wow.

To win a game while having that brickitude.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-04-17 10:00 PM - Post#220506    
    In response to TigerFan

Wow! Another crazy game at Harvard. Gritty, ugly win!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Harvard
02-04-17 10:04 PM - Post#220511    
    In response to TigerFan

That was one helluva game from a basketball standpoint but still a concerning one from a Princeton standpoint.

There was a moment when they were up 13 and Harvard looked like they were about to call it a night. Then they had two fastbreak TOs that turned into SIX points for the Crimson. That just can't happen. I still don't see how this team can win a game in the Big Dance like Harvard and Yale did. But at least I'm convinced they can make it there. Myles Stephens is our clutch guy -- thank god he's just a sophomore.

Over in Ithaca, Brian Earl has Cornell 2-3 in a year where they should have started 0-5. Letting him go could have been a huge mistake...

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-04-17 10:06 PM - Post#220514    
    In response to TigerFan

I am perverse enough to kind of love this type of win based on strong D, forcing turnovers, scraping out tough rebounds at key times. A championship team has to be able to win some games this way. The treys are not always going to fall and you may have some FT butchery (although could we please at least shoot 66%?).

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-04-17 10:18 PM - Post#220518    
    In response to SRP

Poor Penn. It looks like the refs stole another one from them

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
02-04-17 10:18 PM - Post#220519    
    In response to SRP

Caught the last 5 min of the game. Princeton really stole that game. Down 3 - with an open look at 3 - Stephens really didn't have time for 2 - if they let him go - Harvard ball up 1 with 7 sec to go. Maybe you have 5 seconds on the way back to score? Great sub to put Gladson in to challenge for the reb on the FT.

Speaking of Gladson, 0 points from the bigs. Harvard will force you to play one of them, and they need to pose at least a credible threat on offense. Can't imagine Henderson would go small too much against them.

Big win, as usual not as big w/o the tourney waiting. Now it's about developing the bigs so they can play D against Harvard and Yale while forcing some respect on offense so the bigs can't help out so easily.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-04-17 11:15 PM - Post#220540    
    In response to umbrellaman

Loved this game, although I was sure that we had let it get away at the end. Harvard shouldn't have been as close, but when we led by 9 or 10 they were getting all the calls (see SRP above). Then two fine steals were able to get them back in it while we were running out of gas. Both teams missed key foul shots. But, in a tight defense, low scoring game it is not unusual to see under average free throw shooting. In the end it was Miles Stephens, Amir Bell and Steven Cook who pulled this one out of the fire. If Cannady had had a normal night this game would not have been dramatic. GO TIGERS!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Harvard
02-05-17 12:58 AM - Post#220551    
    In response to gokinsmen

If Coach H would have let a guy of Bassey's height trying to box out Cook on Stephens FT attempt with 6 seconds left, he would have been ripped upside down. Although the Tigers had an awful shooting night with many wide open 3 point shots, they demonstrated that the Tiger players are as athletic and skilled to compete against Harvard's athletes. You could argue that Princeton had two of the three most athletic skilled players on the court tonight which is a reflection of what Henderson has done on the recruiting and player development front. Cook always seems to come up big against the most athletic and skilled opponents. I always love it that when the Tigers lose, it is the coaches' fault but he does not get much credit when they win. He has transformed the program to today's style of play.

Cannady and Gladson had brutal shooting nights and the Tigers still had a 13 point lead in the second half. I do agree that it should have been an easier win.

Crimson court looked like an ice skating rink with players losing their footing. Chambers is a player and as Henderson contends, it has been a senior league in the past. Harvard announcers could spare the audience with who was recruiting Harvard's freshmen. Aikens is fearless and very talented -- Towns may have simply had an off night. Edosomwan was touted for POY??? -- Lewis looks much better.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-05-17 06:54 AM - Post#220559    
    In response to bradley

Not much to add except I thought the poor FT shooting (and Weisz's late airball trey) were due to tired legs. To win at H with Cannady 0-8 and Pete Miller playing 2 minutes (is he hurt?) and being down 3 with H at the line with 30 seconds ... man.

I agree with Bradley, H has talent and athleticism but so do the Tigers and last night their edge in experience, poise and competitiveness allowed them to steal that game.

(And gokinsmen, Princeton did not "let Earl go", he got a great opportunity at Cornell that he had been working towards for many years.)

Kyle Wente was smiling last night!

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-05-17 09:20 AM - Post#220566    
    In response to Tiger81

Gladson did a good job in post defense. Also very nice job of doubling down both games this weekend, with nice rotation off the ball.

I sure hope Gladson finds his stroke (also Cannady).

Very tired of watching Harvard try to take the charge on every drive to the hoop, an old Duke tactic which led to the restricted zone. And Bassey did not "have his heels in the restricted zone"--only his toes were OUT of the restricted zone. Also the Harvard player was clearly moving on a charge taken early in the second half.

It's just a tiresome defensive strategy.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-05-17 09:39 AM - Post#220568    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Gladson did play good post defense but it was surprising as to Miller not playing. Miller looked fine on the bench as he did not appear to be injured. If the Tigers had Brase last evening, he may have knocked down some 3s' unlike Gladson. Miller did a great job of Brodeur during the first game and hopefully, he was just sick or Coach thought that he was not a good match up against the Crimson.

Tigers contested a higher percentage of shots than Harvard even with 4 guys playing 35+ minutes the night before -- 7 vs. 4 blocks, 9 vs. 3 steals --- willpower and athleticism. Stephens 2 pt with foul at 6 seconds left was a function of poor defense by 3 Crimson freshmen -- Towns, Aikens and Bassey; simply growing pains that they will learn from and hopefully, not this year. Harvard freshmen are very good but will they be dominant??? Time will tell.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Harvard
02-05-17 09:47 AM - Post#220569    
    In response to Tiger81

Because I'm in sort of a harumphing mood this morning:

• Tiger81 Said:
(And gokinsmen, Princeton did not "let Earl go", he got a great opportunity at Cornell that he had been working towards for many years.)

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. Unless the OP was advocating firing MH mid-contract or paying BE a head coach's salary, which is possible, though shall we say unrealistic.

• Tiger69 Said:
. In the end it was Miles Stephens, ....!

I believe his twin Myles contributed, too. (C'mon, man, how would you feel if your name were being consistently misspelled by your own fans? He's not some unknown frosh who never gets PT).

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
02-05-17 09:52 AM - Post#220570    
    In response to bradley

Active, extended defense, quick switches and immediate double-downs on Zena and Lewis were the constant of last night's performance. That takes remendous energy and focus to maintain and it ended up being the difference given that the usual contribution from Cannady was missing. H has been winning by forcing turnovers but last night the equation went the other way.

So nice to see Bell returning as a key contributor and Myles emerging as a game-changer on both ends of the floor. But I still think we will need someone like Miller, Brennan, Gladson or Young to step up if the Tigers are going to win the (stupid) tourney.

Best Penn!

bradley 
PhD Student

02-05-17 10:03 AM - Post#220571    
    In response to Tiger81

Even if one of the bigs step up, no guarantee with "stupid" IL tournament as it comes down to a 2 game season but Tigers can at least have the reward of winning a 14 game season. Yale is very tough and it now appears that Columbia plays defense. Harvard freshmen should also get better. Long way to go and it will be challenging as it should be.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-05-17 10:59 AM - Post#220576    
    In response to sparman

Criticism gracefully accepted. Apologies to Myles, who is not only a very talented and reliable player, but also a classy guy.

I, too, am a harrumpher.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-05-17 11:03 AM - Post#220578    
    In response to sparman

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
02-05-17 11:22 AM - Post#220584    
    In response to Tiger69

I know you're as strong a supporter of him as any of the rest of us.

I've had my Snickers bar now.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
02-05-17 11:27 AM - Post#220585    
    In response to Tiger69

Great tweet this morning from Assistant Coach MacConnell that credited the scout team with making a big contribution to last night's win

pic.twitter.com/VITePoFzSd

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-05-17 12:24 PM - Post#220592    
    In response to Tiger81

Harvard's frosh are impressive but Princeton's tall, rangy guards really kept them in check, particularly in the first 30 minutes or so. Aiken looks smaller than his listing at 6'0" and 175 lb and he had a tough night, shooting 3 for 13. It will be interesting to see if he (and Cannady for that matter) heat up in the rematch at Jadwin.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.242 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:18 AM