Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Probabilities        (Topic#19885)
cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
02-13-17 11:24 AM - Post#221690    
    In response to PennFan10

I'm afraid I have to agree with the Penn faithful on this issue. You have failed to specify the mechanism by which the "League" transmits its putative intentions to officials on the floor.

Officials do make bad, nay, even some enraging calls. It is even possible to argue that in some arenas, there is a persistent bias in favor of the home team. Nevertheless, it does seem like quite a stretch to argue that the Ivy League in general has overdetermined the outcome in order to funnel Penn into the tournament.

Of course, this whole debate becomes pretty moot if we beat Penn in Levien on February 25th.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
02-13-17 11:33 AM - Post#221695    
    In response to cc66

I do not pretend to be objective. As a long suffering Columbia fan I have developed the unwavering belief that we are the only team in the league that does not get the usual home town edge in officiating.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Probabilities
02-13-17 12:10 PM - Post#221704    
    In response to Chet Forte

When I'm a biased observer then most of the calls are going against my team.

When I'm an unbiased observer like Friday night (I root for both teams to win as my daughter observed) then I realize that the refs miss things both ways. They do tend to favor the more aggressive team and the home team. Penn was both on Friday.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Probabilities
02-13-17 12:24 PM - Post#221708    
    In response to TheLine

I guess that since I went to CU Law School, I am equally "unbiased." I find it hard to believe you didn't have a rooting interest, even if it were slight.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-13-17 12:34 PM - Post#221711    
    In response to palestra38

I only have a rooting interest when one team has a chance to win the conference and the other doesn't. This is a rare year when I'm conflicted.

I am happy that Penn has Sunday games this year, it is relieving the burden on deciding which team to watch on Saturday.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-13-17 05:51 PM - Post#221740    
    In response to TheLine

1) I honestly can't imagine why 'the league' (whatever that means) would give a rat's butt if Penn's in the tournament or not.

2) Despite having had a rough weekend, Columbia is still in the driver's seat for the 4th playoff spot. If they blow it, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

3) I think Engles has done an outstanding job at Columbia this year, and has outperformed my expectations. He clearly can coach (as he demonstrated in his previous gig). Ultimately, the longer term success of the program will depend largely on recruiting, and Engles isn't fully in control of that.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
02-14-17 03:00 PM - Post#221813    
    In response to Silver Maple

My expectations for Columbia are that we have the talent to qualify for the Ivy Tournament. We still have a realistic chance of achieving that goal. If we don't qualify, it will be disappointing.

The one game I would really like back is the Cornell game at home, when we lost by 5, while missing 5 FTs and a layup in the final 3:36.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
02-14-17 03:28 PM - Post#221814    
    In response to Murph

Agreed that we never should have lost that Cornell game. And if Killingsworth had made the open three we would all be in a better mood this week. Unlike the four teams that trail us, we control our own destiny. But Petrasek has to be the man and cannot have the sort of game that he had against Princeton for us to get it done.

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
02-19-17 12:16 PM - Post#222450    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Columbia has underperformed my expectations this year, but only slightly. I didn't expect the offense to deteriorate this quickly, but the defense has held (very) firm in the bad, but not awful, category.

Six wins should be enough, but that really needs to include a win over Penn as one of the two. Without it, you'll probably need seven or you'll need Penn to lose a game it shouldn't.

Lions are definitely the (big) frontrunner for the four-seed right now.

Tragic game last night. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well, it looks as if we're going to have to test Mr. James' theory that 6 wins will get us into post season play, provided one of the wins is against Penn.

I am skeptical.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.772 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:45 PM