Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Penn        (Topic#19888)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-07-17 09:22 PM - Post#220895    
    In response to SRP

Up 50-35 as Weisz and company continue to bomb away from three and the defense is still pretty sticky. Cook is struggling with his offense and Cannady hasn't been too aggressive, but Weisz and Stephens and Bell are pulling the train scoring-wise.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-07-17 09:33 PM - Post#220906    
    In response to SRP

Up 19 with under 8:00 to play. Stephens making Foreman miserable on both ends, but as soon as somebody else tries to guard Foreman one-on-one, he makes a play. Weisz playing at an effortless level, casually stealing passes, tossing in long jumpers after pump fakes, finding open guys.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-07-17 09:44 PM - Post#220910    
    In response to SRP

Up 20 under 2:00 to go. Great way to celebrate the 90th birthday of the Palestra, all but ending the Quakers' chances this season, barring a massive turnaround.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-07-17 09:47 PM - Post#220912    
    In response to SRP

Inauspicious start to garbage time, as Jones is fouled while shooting a trey. Focus!

SRP 
Postdoc

02-07-17 09:51 PM - Post#220913    
    In response to SRP

Margin more respectable-looking after garbage time, only 15. Very satisfying win. Probably could go .250 the rest of the way and make the conference tourney.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-07-17 09:56 PM - Post#220914    
    In response to SRP

Boy did I enjoy that game! Great to see the Tigers hold and extend a lead so thoroughly. Defense getting better and better.

Go Tigers!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-07-17 10:09 PM - Post#220919    
    In response to SRP

At courtside, looked like men against boys.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-07-17 10:16 PM - Post#220924    
    In response to bradley

• Quote:
At courtside, looked like men against boys.

Looked the same on my TV!

Let the Quackers eat their cake in the cold dank Ivy cellar

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-07-17 11:10 PM - Post#220932    
    In response to TigerFan

I kept waiting for the inevitable Quacker run ... and waiting.... But when we shoot 3s like tonight, it doesn't matter whether they get it right or not. Regression to the mean after this past weekend?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-07-17 11:13 PM - Post#220933    
    In response to Tiger69

I will breathe a sigh of relief if/when penn is eliminated from the idiotic tourney.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-07-17 11:22 PM - Post#220935    
    In response to Tiger69

I can assure you that no Penn folks on this board are thinking about the tourney--or at least not this year's. More like the future of the "program", to the extent that it exists.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-07-17 11:46 PM - Post#220937    
    In response to penn nation

I had a conversation with two Penn fans pre-game and they were commenting that Princeton looked so much taller and athletic in warm ups. I think that Penn played pretty hard on defense but offensively, they were completely over matched. "If Princeton suc.. Always" as suggested by one of your comrades, I am not sure what words would accurately describe Penn's offensive skill level but the Ivy League could use the return of Penn to a competitive level down the road. Palestra was awesome as always.

Other than incredible off nights by Cook and Cannady's continued laid back play, the one concern is the C position although they had 12 pts combined with 7 rebounds and 4 blocks. Miller is obviously buried in Mitch's dog house. Gladson is an adequate defender but I would be giving Brennan and Miller more minutes. Big difference in Gladson guarding Penn's bigs vs. the other guys. Maybe, Gladson's style of play opens up the lanes for Stephens, Cook and Bell but I am not sure that I get it. I did see Hans in the stands and the Tigers could definitely have used him. Then again, I thought that Coach should have buried Bell on the bench after his early season play.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Penn
02-08-17 12:36 AM - Post#220940    
    In response to bradley

This team can certainly take care of business, but they haven't proven they can beat any very good to great teams. Unfortunately, the next opportunity to prove that will be the NCAA tourney...if they survive the Ivy tourney first.

Myles Stephens has had 5 straight games with 15+ pts on 50%+ shooting. That's huge with everyone else running hot and cold. He originally broke into the lineup for his defense, but now he's been the rock of the offense.

I think Gladson's big body and toughness are more valuable to this team than Miller's finesse game. Throughout basketball, the center position is becoming increasingly "blue collar." Set screens, box out, body up shooters in the paint. I'm looking at DraftExpress and the highest ranked C is at #12. Perhaps the age of the Princeton Center is over...

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-08-17 09:28 AM - Post#220960    
    In response to gokinsmen

Great game, it is always fun to see Princeton control a game from the opening minutes in the Palestra.

Weisz indeed looked effortless: the rest of the team seems to defer to his leadership and the offense flows through him on most possessions. No Cook and little Cannady last night but it didn't matter, thanks to Spencer, Myles and consistent offensive movement (70% assist rate) and attention to detail on defense.

I really like what Miller brings to the team and have no idea if he is in the Coach's doghouse or if he is just not 100%. If he is viewed as being less valuable then why wouldn't he come off the bench like the downgraded Amir Bell? Alec Brennan is now playing with much more confidence and freedom and I hope he emerges as a bigger contributor as we move into the second half of Ivy play.

As for Penn, winning 7 straight is hard to fathom. I also felt that the Quakers seemed slighter and slower than the Tigers, except for Brodeur and Rothschild. They will need a few more horses and time in the weight room to contend for the (stupid) Ivy tournament.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-08-17 11:10 AM - Post#220980    
    In response to Tiger81

Weisz has been stepping up his game even more as the year progresses. I always get a kick watching a 6'4" not highly recruited player driving the other team crazy. He does not have any of the measurables other than he knows how to play basketball. Even though not heavily recruited, he was a starter as a freshmen and IL ROY. If you look at the driving force behind a number of teams -- Weisz, Spieth, Chambers etc., they have one common trait -- they know how to play the game and they are leaders.

It is interesting to match up recruiting ratings and performance and there is not a high correlation in many instances, i.e. Brennan, Edosomwan, Egi, etc. There seems a larger discrepancy when it relates to the "bigs" as to recruiting rating vs. performance.

It is distinctly possible that a more athletic "2" rated player than Weisz, Miye Oni will be IL ROY as it appears that he has skills and intangibles. Unlikely that Weisz will be IL POY based on his stats but he is the on court coach.

Senior night will be special this year with Weisz, Cook and others.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-08-17 12:39 PM - Post#220987    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Senior night will be special this year with Weisz, Cook and others.

I'm looking forward to attending.

The brief cameo by Aririguzoh was nice to watch.

Very few points scored going to the hoop, which always troubles me. I don't know if it was due to the Penn defense focusing on this, or just wasn't working for Cook, Bell, and Stephens. It's nice when the 3-ball drops, but the variance can kill us.

The more I see of Gladson, the more I like about his game.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-08-17 03:03 PM - Post#221004    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Brennan was great in a very short appearance. Of course, it was a low-pressure outing, but he made the most of it.

Miller is still the best post defender on the team, but the Tigers have shown they can contain the inside without him. Gladson looks like the future there, combining size and strength with traditional shooting and passing skills for a Princeton center.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-08-17 03:15 PM - Post#221009    
    In response to SRP

If Brennan can give us some quality time coming off the bench next year to spell Gladson/Aririguzoh, he will have done his job.

bradley 
PhD Student

Re: Penn
02-08-17 04:16 PM - Post#221016    
    In response to gokinsmen

You are correct that the Tigers have not beaten any very good or excellent teams although they certainly came close against VCU, UCAL and BYU. Unfortunately, they did not get the job done. Bucknell and Yale are the only teams at or below #100. They had the opportunity this year to get a NCAA bid without the need to win the nonsensical IL Tournament but did not cash in for a variety of reasons.

As to Gladson, Coach said it post-game last night that he likes him as he stays outside which means that he does not get in the way of Cook and Stephens getting to the hoop unlike Miller's style of play. The problem is that Gladson is shooting only 25% on 3 pt shots while Brennan is shooting 45%. Both Miller and Brennan are stronger defensively as witnessed last night against Brodeur and Rothschild. Gladson gives up too much ground on defense in the post. He is not bad but the other two are clearly better defenders. If they get to the NCAA tournament, Gladson - a freshmen -- will have problems.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-09-17 07:35 PM - Post#221163    
    In response to bradley

Gladson is a bit slower afoot than the other two, which probably makes him less good at containing post guys with good footwork. Some of it may also be inexperience and lack of anticipation, which could be fixed. Hard to believe strength is the problem, given his build--that ain't baby fat.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.454 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:03 PM