Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Mitch Henderson future        (Topic#19899)
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-08-17 04:24 PM - Post#221019    

Over on Voyforums, the statement has been made that unless "Princeton opens up the wallet", Henderson is gone after this year.

Somehow, I don't see it. I don't think Princeton coaches are quite as attractive these days. Carmody never quite succeeded at Northwestern, Robinson is out of coaching, JT III is not succeeding at Georgetown the way the fans would like, Johnson and Brennan just OK at their current positions. Chris Mooney seems to have reached his recruiting apex at Richmond.

We shall see.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Re: Mitch Henderson future
02-08-17 05:26 PM - Post#221025    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Well, even if you take the Princeton out of it, he's established himself as reasonably successful coach who could probably make a lateralish move at a considerable increase in pay.
Whether that is "worth it" to him or what his aspirations are is unknown. He's good enough to be at Princeton for awhile - that's not a bad gig, as opposed to the uncertainty elsewhere.

As it is, I think there has been somewhat of a convergence between how Princeton plays and the rest of basketball. Princeton is less like classic Princeton, and some Princeton concepts are very mainstream.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
02-08-17 06:56 PM - Post#221031    
    In response to umbrellaman

There is one poster on the Ivy sports board who commented about Mitch leaving and no one else has supported the comment. The name he uses on that board is Go Green, so it's not likely he's got much of an inside connection on Princeton sports. In the same thread he also said "If Penn ever gets good in basketball again, don't be surprised if the basketball team starts outdrawing the football team in attendance." Seems like a poster who's frustrated by Dartmouth's slow start in Ivy play.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
02-08-17 07:05 PM - Post#221032    
    In response to umbrellaman

I agree with both previous posts. Don't think the Princeton pedigree is all that valuable, but a lateral move for significant salary increase would seem to be there for him.

I for one, and I would think, most, would like him to retire where he is. I think he's proven himself on and off the court.,

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-08-17 07:25 PM - Post#221041    
    In response to Petrie

When/if MH leaves there will be a long line to replace him. Most likely Brian Earl will be at the front unless he gets an offer he can't refuse to leave Cornell first.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

02-08-17 07:52 PM - Post#221045    
    In response to Tiger69

The last time an Ivy team poached a coach from another league team, it didn't work out all that well for either team.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-08-17 09:17 PM - Post#221058    
    In response to Tiger69

Henderson is only 41 years old with 11 years as an assistant coach in the Big Ten plus his 6 years at Princeton. I always thought that he would take the next level job, if offered, after this year as he might be very marketable if the Tigers finished as a top 50 team which will not happen. Another factor could be if he believed that the Tigers would regress over the next few years in light of Harvard and Yale recruits.

It was somewhat striking that Earl took the Cornell job. Based on their relationship, I am sure that Earl touched base with Mitch to see if he planned on staying or leaving Princeton prior to accepting the Cornell job. My gut is that he stays at Princeton if he is offered reasonable compensation rather than making a lateral move for more money. If he is offered the next level as to competition with money, he may well decide to leave.

I would hope that Princeton tries to retain him. It is better to have consistency in the program. Coach H is not perfect but there is more downside than upside risk in losing him. I would not be surprised if he thinks that the Tigers will be competitive over the next few years.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-08-17 09:20 PM - Post#221060    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
It was somewhat striking that Earl took the Cornell job. Based on their relationship, I am sure that Earl touched base with Mitch to see if he planned on staying or leaving Princeton prior to accepting the Cornell job.

Interesting thought.

I just hope he doesn't go on TV saying he "love love loves Princeton basketball".

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-08-17 10:13 PM - Post#221073    

I have often wondered if Sydney Johnson regrets departing from Princeton. He was really an important figure in rescuing the Tigers from the damage of the Joe Scott era. He recruited well, the team responded to him and he had the opportunity to establish himself as a long-term successor to Coach Carril. Then again, maybe Fairfield basketball has become as special to him as Princeton hoops is to the Tiger faithful on this board.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-08-17 11:44 PM - Post#221082    
    In response to Bryan

This is just the latest display of a long held, odd obsession with Tigers. Among other manifestations, he also thinks Princeton erred in cutting ties with Roger Hughes and every year he pushes the "Courtney Banghart is about to leave" meme. He has no inside info.

Mitch may leave at some point (I doubt this year), but I'm not worried about MM finding a good replacement if and when.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-08-17 11:54 PM - Post#221083    
    In response to Old Bear

Penn poaching anyone is a loser for everyone.

mrjames 
Professor

02-09-17 09:37 AM - Post#221095    
    In response to Tiger69

Unlike with Sydney, Princeton (and Yale, for that matter) have stared down the Harvard recruiting machine and carved out quality talent year after year. When Sydney was making his decision, Harvard was an on-coming freight train, and it was hard to say whether any team could keep up. The Crimson is still winning most battles with other Ivies (see Djuricic), but the overlap isn't huge and the other Ivies are doing a great job in the pool where Harvard isn't playing (see Much) or securing talent that Harvard couldn't guarantee a spot early enough (see Desrosiers).

All that being said, if Princeton hasn't changed its stance that coaches not make more than the highest paid faculty member, well, there are going to be a hundred jobs or so out there that can double Mitch's salary just like Fairfield did for Sydney. And a couple straight Top 75 finishes with a tourney berth will bring on interest from more than a few schools in need.

I don't think Mitch needs to be desperate to leave, but I wouldn't blame the guy for taking his shot at a payday in what is a fickle industry.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-09-17 11:26 AM - Post#221101    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
This is just the latest display of a long held, odd obsession with Tigers. Among other manifestations, he also thinks Princeton erred in cutting ties with Roger Hughes and every year he pushes the "Courtney Banghart is about to leave" meme. He has no inside info.

Hardly the first time a Princeton guy has taken issue with my posts.

http://goprincetontigers.blogspot.com/2014/11/defe...

And I gave up the "Banghart's leaving" a while ago. My understanding that she was indeed offered bigger positions (which ones are escaping me), but elected to stay in Princeton. I expect her to be the female Pete Carril.

That being said, it would have been nice if she had recognized Wielgus last month.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-09-17 11:58 AM - Post#221108    

Somehow, I do not envision Coach staying at Princeton for his entire coaching career. He seems like a guy who is driven to succeed and what I have heard, he is pretty intense. I watched him pull Weisz after a foolish pass against Penn even with the game comfortably in hand to send a message.

For a guy with his athletic ability to even play a few games in the NBA as well as being drafted out of H.S. as a baseball player suggests that he got the most out of his God given abilities. He may well want the next challenge at a higher level program and I think that it is less likely that he goes lateral just for the money although you never know. He is also a Midwest guy which may be a factor dependent on the job opportunity.

For his detractors, check back 3 years if and after he leaves to see if you were happy that he headed out of town. Princeton AD should definitely try to keep him if at all possible from my perspective.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
Re: Mitch Henderson future
02-09-17 12:52 PM - Post#221116    

Obviously, there are no guarantees in life, but I seem to remember, Gary Walters said something addressing this when MH was hired, because a lot of people were a little unpleasantly surprised SJ bolted so quickly. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but the subtext I took away was "Don't worry: this new hire is someone who cares more about Princeton basketball than a cool half-mil."

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-09-17 01:13 PM - Post#221119    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
All that being said, if Princeton hasn't changed its stance that coaches not make more than the highest paid faculty

like at least one other Ivy which shall be nameless.

I don't know a thing about Henderson's past, other than his excellence as an athlete in an Indiana prep school, but I have wondered if he does not have some additional source of income.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
02-09-17 02:25 PM - Post#221131    

Do you wonder the same thing about all Ivy men's basketball coaches (other than Amaker)? If not, what is different about MH relative to the others?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-09-17 07:53 PM - Post#221164    
    In response to Bryan

No problem. Just endow a chair for some professor in, say, machine learning at $500,000/yr. Instant lift of the coaching salary cap.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
02-09-17 08:42 PM - Post#221168    
    In response to Bryan

• Bryan Said:
Do you wonder the same thing about all Ivy men's basketball coaches (other than Amaker)? If not, what is different about MH relative to the others?

Hmmm. Hard to explain.

But first, I love SRP's solution to the salary cap.

I know nothing about the coaches at other Ivy schools, just Princeton. With Henderson, I have never read any of the hard scrabble narratives of the other Princeton coaches. Carril growing up poor in coal country, Carmody one of 11 children, Sydney Johnson raised by the single father. True JTIII is a different story, but we all knew the story. Henderson's story starts in the private school in Indiana. So I just kinda wondered. Could be dead wrong.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
02-09-17 08:51 PM - Post#221169    
    In response to SRP

Endowed chairs run $4m+ so that would be a bargain!

I don't know what makes Coach Henderson tick but if he wants to maximize his income he will need to move on. Princeton has lost a few excellent coaches to better financial opportunities, most notably in men's hoops and Bill Tierney in lax, but also managed to keep a lot of long-term, very talented coaches in high profile sports (Courtney Banghart, Scott Bradley, Chris Sailer) who seem to value the facilities, institutional support, culture of success and stability of coaching at Princeton.

After his famous "love, love, love" TV interview I thought for sure that Sydney Johnson was in the latter group!

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.193 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 AM