Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#19915)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-11-17 08:42 PM - Post#221429    
    In response to SRP

Now only up 2 with 0:28 seconds left and ready to inbound the ball. CU has hit a ton of really deep treys while the Tigers have missed a lot of open shots.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-11-17 08:49 PM - Post#221430    
    In response to SRP

Killingsworth had a great look for a trey but missed it badly. Not a good job of closing out the game by PU, although the use of all those fouls to bleed down the clock on the Lions' last possession was good.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-11-17 09:05 PM - Post#221433    
    In response to mrjames

With only one bid, the chance to play in the NCAA tournament is a great part of what the league title is all about. So, if we are going to trash the value of that championship, let's go all the way and let all eight teams into the tourney. Then, at least, the champ gets an easier opener.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-11-17 09:08 PM - Post#221434    
    In response to SRP

Hey, Amir. You have four other teammates on the floor!

Ugly finish, but we squeaked by. Teachable moment?

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-11-17 10:51 PM - Post#221451    
    In response to SRP

Tigers slowdown offense from the 12 minute mark was designed to hold the ball until 10 seconds on the clock shot and then get off a good shot -- not a fan of this approach. They got good looks but shot nothing but 3 pointers and missed badly. Lions made some very difficult and long shots to their credit.

What should have been a much easier weekend turned out far more difficult than it should have been but they are 8-0 with a big game coming up in New Haven next Friday night.

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
02-12-17 04:35 PM - Post#221582    
    In response to bradley

Strange game. Weiss disappeared on offense although did have 4 assists. Bigs a non factor. Wonder what Mitch has against bigs? Musta been some big guy who hazed him in private school?

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-12-17 10:33 PM - Post#221636    
    In response to joe nassau

I was at the game--drove up from Baltimore. Sat directly behind the Princeton bench. Viewing angles were tough for the far end of the court, but nice to be able to hear the coaches. Two things I learned that I could not tell from TV:

Kittles is very active and vociferous.

Myles Stephens is even more talented in person--man is he quick to the hoop.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-14-17 10:16 PM - Post#221842    
    In response to mrjames

"If Princeton ends up clearly in the Top 68 and loses at The Palestra, I will think the Tigers got a raw deal. But if they remain hanging around the 80s/90s in quality and resume metrics, I don't feel bad."

I have found the recent conversation on the Penn Board interesting regarding the location of the IL Tournament and the discussion of a possible second bid in the context of your comments. The reality is that Princeton cannot get into the top 68 even if they run the table in the Ivy League and finish 14-0. Why -- Princeton's performance in non-league play, the performance of IL teams in non-conference play and the degree of difficulty as to non-league games. If Princeton beat all six remaining IL teams by 20+ points (laugh/laugh) and walk on water, they would not get in the top 68 and even if they did, they would not get a bid. If Princeton finished 10-4 in non-league play with two good wins rather 7-6, they may have gotten a bid with a 14-0 or 13-1 record IL record -- challenging task to say the least. Yale or Harvard would not have gotten a bid as well based on their non-conference record and the other factors cited above if they finished 14-0.

Bottom line is that it was at the very least premature to introduce the IL tournament until non-conference scheduling and overall performance improves so that a second bid is realistic. No one on the Princeton forum has ever suggested that the Tigers deserve a bid this year as they were accountable for their non-league performance. The margin is extremely tight currently for the IL to receive two bids. As a matter of fact, some Tiger fans have argued that other teams, i.e. Yale or Harvard may feel the same effect next year. Ironically it does not seem to concern you that a #218 rpi team may represent the IL. A better argument at this time might be that it will be exciting at the Palestra.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-15-17 01:27 AM - Post#221869    
    In response to bradley

The Tigers are currently #69 in the RPI. I am not a fan of that ratings system but it has been the favorite of the selection committee for many years (although unfortunately they seem to deviate from it when mid-majors' RPIs are very high). Look no further than the "bracketologists," who earn their notoriety by predicting the brackets that the committee puts together--last time I checked, their predictions tracked the RPI more closely than any of the other ratings systems. Of course the committee does not choose the top 68 teams under any ratings system (nor would we want them too) because some of the leagues' representatives are invariably ranked well below 100, sometimes into the 200s.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-15-17 01:30 AM - Post#221870    
    In response to bradley

The best 68 teams don't make the tournament. Often, conference champs are ranked lower, which leapfrogs lower ranked teams into those spots you seem to consider reserved for top 68 squads. For instance, there look to be roughly 20 conferences that don't have any teams rated in the top 68. Those champions - and any tournament underdog champions in the other larger school conferences - fill spots, resulting in less at large openings. I'm sure someone has historical results and can identify the ranking of the final at large slot handed out. I've got to think that ranking is somewhere around 45th to 50th or so. That's why the last at large bid often lands as an 11th/12th seed. I believe that last year KenPom #50 Michigan may have been the last at large selection, earning an 11th seed.

Thus, for the Ivies to get a second bid, the non-conference tournament winner needs to be a top 50 team, not top 68.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Columbia
02-15-17 09:31 AM - Post#221884    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

HARVARDGRAD are you trolling us? Princeton ended the season at RPI #38 last year yet there was no #2bidivy (and yes I know the RPI is a lousy system, but the powers that be use it--although not in that instance).

(I'd welcome an analysis showing that I'm wrong and that the selection committee has used other ratings systems more than the RPI but I don't expect any. At this point I'm afraid more advanced analytics are just an academic exercise.)

Edited by TigerFan on 02-15-17 09:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-15-17 09:54 AM - Post#221886    
    In response to TigerFan

Absolutely not! I had no idea of last year's Princeton RPI. I just wanted to correct the use of the 'top 68' because the threshold is actually higher. My point is that a second Ivy bid is going to be tough - for Harvard, Princeton and the others - especially when there is anti-midmajor bias.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-15-17 10:17 AM - Post#221887    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I agree with you that the benchmark is around 50 and it is very difficult for a mid-major, particularly an Ivy League team to hit this threshold. A-10, a very good league, probably gets two bids this year. Princeton recently played 5 games over 14 days, 3 games on the road, won all five and regressed several spots on Kenpom. Why, the RPI rankings of the Ivy League teams based on their non-conference scheduling and performance. I was a big fan of Henderson taking the Tigers on a magical mystery tour all of the country to chase a top 50 ranking rather than leave it up to the two day randomness of an IL Tournament.

Sears and Sherrod deserved to go to the NCAA tournament last year. The Tigers had an opportunity to play Yale in a playoff game but they lost a two point game to Harvard. They had beaten Yale, albeit at home, earlier in the year and the Tigers may have beaten Yale if there was an IL tournament. That would not mean that the Tigers would have earned the trip from my perspective.

Bottom line for me, is that I have no interest in watching the IL Tournament. If the winner of the IL Tournament is the regular season champ or co-champ, I will certainly root them on at the Big Dance. Does not matter in a given year if it is Princeton, Penn or Dartmouth. The arguments made by the 2nd bid opponents seem to drift around for convenience sake.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-15-17 10:37 AM - Post#221891    
    In response to bradley

Is there a job more inane and ridiculous job than a "bracketologist"? Something for all those communication majors who can't get jobs as perky TV weather persons to aspire to.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-18-17 07:10 PM - Post#222341    
    In response to Tiger69

So apparently there is widespread belief on the Columbia board that Lions would have won this game (plus the Harvard game, but like Johnny Mathis advises, not for us to say, right?) easily if not for silly Lion coachimg mistakes.

Meanwhile they may not make it to the IL tournamemt at their current rate.

palestra38 
Professor

02-18-17 07:32 PM - Post#222342    
    In response to sparman

Beats blaming the refs

SRP 
Postdoc

02-18-17 10:56 PM - Post#222403    
    In response to palestra38

Columbia chokes another one away at Dartmouth, and now RasPennTin comes to life once more. They could lost at Yale tomorrow, sweep the rest and end up facing PU in Round One at the Palestra. There is no justice. Maybe the Tigers should just tank against Columbia.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-19-17 01:23 AM - Post#222421    
    In response to SRP

Curious. How did Penn manage to put off Yale an additional day? Not a bad idea to give the legs an extra day to recover. Is there a reason why we don't also play Friday/Sunday games? Saturday classes?

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
02-19-17 01:32 AM - Post#222422    
    In response to Tiger69

Cornell at Penn (last week) and Penn at Yale (this week) were moved to Sunday for television purposes, at the request of the ASN network, prior to the start of the season.

Please direct your suggestions and complaints to ASN, a division of Sinclair Broadcasting.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-19-17 01:47 AM - Post#222424    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Thanks for reply.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.243 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:01 PM