Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Cornell Game #2        (Topic#19927)
hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
02-18-17 03:35 PM - Post#222305    
    In response to hoopla

I'm not sure what the right word is for anonymously calling out college kids in a mean spirited way. Cowardly? Sad? Pathetic?

The good news is that while I do think our guys are still kids, I think they are old, wise, and tough enough to ultimately understand which voices to respect and which aren't worth the time.

For the record GG, while I disagree with you on some stuff, I consider your voice one to listen to.

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
Re: Cornell Game #2
02-18-17 03:37 PM - Post#222306    
    In response to Cooper

I agree with Go Green. I don't think being direct isn't "nice". It's direct. Why sugar coat the truth? If the "kids" (young men) or parents don't like it, they can A. Not read it, or B. Change the way they play. My opinion is that the collective "niceness" from the staff, the coaches, to most of the players, and the fans has contributed over the last 30 years to Dartmouth's anemic performance in basketball. In sports, nice guys generally do finish last. The goal in sports, especially college D1 sports, is to win. And here at Dartmouth basketball, we don't do much winning. We've been the league doormat for what, 30 years? And I believe it's time to change that.

hoops123 
Freshman

02-18-17 03:53 PM - Post#222310    
    In response to Cooper

So Hoopla, guessing your solution is get the team around the campfire, sing Men of Dartmouth, have a nice group hug, then tell the players 'do your best guys, we hope you win' and give the guys their participation trophies?? Have you ever played a sport in your life?? I'm guessing no.In your world, no one is accountable and calling out poor performance is a dreadful thing. Funny! Have you ever watched ESPN? These people make a living calling out poor performances. Dartmouth athletes are suddenly immune from any criticism? Read my last post. Being the board cheerleader and not facing reality and HOPING things will get better is way more "sad" because your attitude is part of the Dartmouth Athletics complacency/apathy problem. Oh, and you still want Cormier to be the coach. That shows the readers how out of touch you really are. Now we're talking "pathetic"......

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-17 04:00 PM - Post#222311    
    In response to Cooper

I think there is plenty of room to discuss this stuff without taking unnecessary shots at kids. To me, there is a big difference between saying that Brendan Barry or Cameron Smith should be playing because they do xyz, and the kind of vitriol directed at one player that appeared in the prior post.

hoopla 
Masters Student

02-18-17 04:05 PM - Post#222312    
    In response to hoops123

Are you tweeting from the Oval Office?

hoopla 
Masters Student

02-18-17 04:06 PM - Post#222313    
    In response to SomeGuy

Yes

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-17 04:06 PM - Post#222314    
    In response to hoops123

The thing about the "ever played a sport in your life" comment is that not all athletes view their teammates in the way that you seem to. In fact, many of them are if anything over protective of and overconfident in their teammates. I suspect that you won't find many kids in the Dartmouth locker room who would say the sorts of things you said about Fleming. Moreover, I would argue that the type of players you want are exactly the kids who don't think the way you do.

I also think that it is a good thing you aren't coaching kids anymore. You seemed to suggest previously that the problem was the parents, and not you, but the simple fact that you saw somebody else as the problem is a pretty good indicator that you shouldn't be out there coaching.

hoops123 
Freshman

02-18-17 04:55 PM - Post#222320    
    In response to SomeGuy

Well SomeGuy you are wrong on all counts. Consider me not surprised... And it's clear to me based on your and Hoopla's posts why Ivy League sports are viewed so poorly by the non Ivy world and why we'll always be a tier below other D1 sports programs. I guess its the way it is. Not going to try and change the views of people that have made up their minds. I'll just keep posting along and Hoopla (with your White House comment, sounds like you're still butt hurt over the election, eh Hoopla?)and SomeGuy can whine in the background when they don't agree. Maybe you two can set up a picketing protest group to convince those mean spirited writers at the Valley News to be nicer too and not pick on the Dartmouth "kids" and coaches. Hopefully you are so successful, then the whole board can all sing Kumbaya together and the basketball world will be so perfect......

http://www.vnews.com/Dartmouth-men-s-baske tball-vs...

hoopla 
Masters Student

Cornell Game #2
02-18-17 05:24 PM - Post#222326    
    In response to hoops123

Whether you or a loved one rode pine, got cut or yelled at (perhaps by Cormier) or just didn't pan out, you seem to have some issues to work through with regard to an athletic career and I honestly wish you well.

Edited by hoopla on 02-18-17 05:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

hoopla 
Masters Student

02-18-17 05:26 PM - Post#222327    
    In response to hoopla

Go Green beat Columbia!

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-18-17 05:50 PM - Post#222333    
    In response to hoopla

I'm only going to say this. Sometimes the people on these boards get a little hot under the collar, and a few do seem to have a proclivity for nastiness. But, if you get a chance, lurk around some other conference's discussion boards. This forum is the University of Woolamaloo Philosophy Department by comparison.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
Cornell Game #2
02-18-17 05:51 PM - Post#222334    
    In response to Silver Maple

Oh-- and I'm also pulling for The Men of Dartmouth to beat Columbia. Not only because that would benefit Penn, but because Dartmouth is my grad school alma mater. So, Go Green and all that.

It's possible (but not guaranteed) that replacing Paul Cormier will benefit the program in the long term. But there's no question in my mind that, in the near term, the team is paying a major price.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-18-17 06:49 PM - Post#222339    
    In response to hoops123

• hoops123 Said:

Well *this* is nice to hear.

"Internet message-board chatter has questioned whether Boudreaux might follow in the steps of former Dartmouth guard Alex Mitola, who completed his degree in three years and transferred to George Washington for his fourth year of NCAA eligibility. Asked that question on Friday, Boudreaux responded in the negative."

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-19-17 09:33 AM - Post#222437    
    In response to Go Green

Had we gotten done against Cornell, we'd be tied for the fourth slot of the tourney.

We could still make it with some upsets, but even then, I seriously doubt we have many advantages in the tie-breakers against anyone.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-17-17 06:16 AM - Post#227428    
    In response to Cooper

• Cooper Said:
I have indeed spent time on the Penn board and yes, it can be ugly. That doesn't mean it's right there OR here. Be constructive without being destructive. How do you think particular kids or their parents and families feel reading some of these comments if they come by here?

If you still think that college players should be immune from criticism, google "Matthew Fisher-Davis."

Edited by Go Green on 03-17-17 06:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.29 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:00 AM