Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Yale, etc        (Topic#19929)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-12-17 11:32 AM - Post#221495    

There was a disturbing similarity to the second halves of both games this weekend. We couldn't close out either game after gaining leads that appeared sufficient. Columbia nearly overtook us from a 20 point deficit, and Cornell turned a 10 point halftime deficit into a five point lead with a 19-4 run at the beginning of the second half. They stayed within striking distance for the rest of the game. Cook and Stephens seemed to be off their reliable comeback form, Bell tried to do too much himself, and Cannady has gone on sabbatical. True, it was an exhausting 5 games in 9 days. But, we'll have to get things back together for the rest of the season. Six, if you include two games in the Palestra, of our remaining eight games are on the road. Get plenty of rest, Guys!

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Yale, etc
02-12-17 11:59 AM - Post#221502    
    In response to Tiger69

One wonders if moving Cannady to point has impacted his shooting game negatively. He has gone from catch and shoot to look for the pass, then maybe shoot.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-12-17 12:34 PM - Post#221507    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Positives for the Tigers have been defense, ball security and experience, which have been enough to produce wins, although many have featured the depletion of large leads. It is the offense that has been spotty, with many comfortable first halves when we are hitting treys followed by a sputtering final 30 minutes.

When outside shots have not been falling Princeton begins attacking the rim, and Bell and Cook and especially Stephens have produced enough interior points to avoid Falconian collapses so far. But it ain't pretty to watch and lacks the firepower of last year's fluid offense.

I agree that Cannady previously was a reliable antidote to cold spells and lately he has not been as deadly. Perhaps due to his new point guard duties, perhaps because he is now featured in the Tigers' scout and perhaps because Caruso's presence opened up spaces for him on the court that are no longer available. In Ivy play Cook has also not been as big a 3-point threat (just 3-17 until going 5-7 last night).

This year the #1 seed, assuming it wins vs. #4, will have a big advantage because the other finalist will need to beat H-P, Y-P or H-Y within 24 hours on a neutral court, which won't be easy. So the last six games of the regular season will all be high stakes affairs. To win the title the Tigers will need to sustain all of their positives and raise their level of consistency when they have the ball.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
02-12-17 03:17 PM - Post#221548    
    In response to Tiger81

Given Amir Bell's return to form ( thank god) and Canady's decreased production, wonder if it might be time to revert to original roles, with Canady coming off the bench.

Meanwhile, there must be something that can be done to get production out of the center position. Personally, I think Miller deserves more time . Just hard to see continued success while getting so little from the position.

Have to love 11 straight, but doesnt mean we can't worry.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-12-17 04:24 PM - Post#221576    
    In response to Tiger69

Big picture -- they are 8-0 and the Tigers have enjoyed the lead after the first 10 minutes of the remaining game for greater than 90% of the time. Only two blow outs but 10+ point leads in 5 other games with less than 10 minutes to go. If Tiger fans would be asked at the beginning of the Ivy season if they would be ecstatic at 8-0, the answer is easy. The reality is that there have been some tight moments, like any IL season, but somehow the veteran team has kept their composure and had the will to win unlike their non-conference game performance.

Even with a 2 game lead, nothing will come easy for the rest of the way with 4 games on the road -- far more challenging than the 1st 8 games. It is possible that they will finish 3-3 if they do not keep their focus. Yale is obviously a huge game next week if Weisz/Cook and others want to see a banner hanging at Jadwin after they graduate. As Cook stated last night, do not focus on the IL tournament just focus on the next game.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
02-12-17 04:27 PM - Post#221578    
    In response to Petrie

I liked what Gladson did this last game--I remember one short baseline jumper, very impromptu with the clock winding down. Nothing but net. Aririgozuh also looked good on defense & rebounding. He had no room in the low post on offense though.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-12-17 05:26 PM - Post#221592    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

If the team didn't have so many other options, developing offense from the bigs would probably have been more of a focus to date. Personally, I like getting them involved offensively because it makes the passing game more fluid when there is a post threat. Witness Miller's two touch-pass backdoor assists last night against Columbia.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-12-17 05:58 PM - Post#221593    
    In response to SRP

The team just came through a hell of a 5 game stretch with 5 big wins, 3 away from home. Yes it is tough to watch them lose big leads but they are a gritty, determined bunch and I like their chances to win the league and the tournament.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-12-17 08:59 PM - Post#221617    
    In response to TigerFan

Very tough 5 game stretch as you point out with another tough 4 game road stretch coming up. I do like their chances to win the IL regular season especially if they win at New Haven but it is certainly not a slam dunk even with a two game lead.

As to the IL tournament, who knows? Much more random possibilities simply based on playing two games in two days. As we know, anything can happen when shots rim out or rim in. If they rim out, the seniors can head out to the NIT and hopefully, cause some havoc. If they rim in, they can go off a play a #3 or #4 seed at the Big Dance.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-12-17 09:49 PM - Post#221627    
    In response to bradley

Very tough to beat a team 3 times, as Penn found out in '96. Would be beyond awesome to see Penn come out of nowhere and knock off Princeton at the Palestra.

But a lot of work to be done before Penn can get to that point.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-12-17 09:49 PM - Post#221628    
    In response to bradley

This team is fun to watch with lots of guys to root for who can make impressive plays. When they D up consistently they are really tough to beat.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-12-17 10:04 PM - Post#221631    
    In response to penn nation

Tough talk for a team with a 2-6 record

bradley 
PhD Student

02-12-17 10:13 PM - Post#221633    
    In response to Tiger69

I believe that he was one of the guys that jumped ship on the Quakers a few days ago -- typical neurotic Philadelphia fan. He may be getting a little ahead of himself regarding the IL Tournament but he will be jumping ship again if Penn somehow loses to Brown and Yale next weekend. Pretty funny post.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

02-12-17 11:31 PM - Post#221643    
    In response to bradley

Watching the Penn fans' reactions to their team's ups and downs is almost as much fun as following the Tigers. Glad to see the Quackers apparently playing better ball after we bested them twice--maybe they can give Y and H a run.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-13-17 09:16 AM - Post#221655    
    In response to TigerFan

In fairness I was a little surprised to see that Penn is only 2 games out of the tournament at the moment despite their poor start. It's not like Columbia never stumbles and stranger things have happened.

In the meantime, let's hope there is no Xanax shortage in Philadelphia.

palestra38 
Professor

Yale, etc
02-13-17 09:38 AM - Post#221658    
    In response to sparman

The odds still are slim. Penn has to win at least 4 of its remaining 6 with 4 on the road, including wins over Brown (at home) and Columbia on the road to have a chance. 5 wins with victories over those two almost certainly will get Penn in. Gotta take it a game at a time, but this weekend, Penn was a different team with a different rotation. Whether or not they get in this year, the fact that Penn starts 3 freshmen and 1 soph is promising. This is Donahue's first true recruiting class, so the foundation may be being put into place. I think a lot of Penn fans wonder why it took so long to get to this set lineup.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-13-17 11:04 AM - Post#221679    
    In response to palestra38

While I respect the math involved, I've never paid much attention to calaculated probabilities and emotion, momentum, improvement can't be quantified. Channelling my inner Yogi, you aren't out of it until you're mathematically eliminated.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-13-17 11:29 AM - Post#221692    
    In response to sparman

Princeton can lose 2 games and still grab the #1 seed, especially if one of their wins is Harvard at home. But looking at the schedule suggests that 3 losses is quite possible. Remember a few years ago when the Tigers needed three wins to win the league outright and two to get a tie? Road losses at Yale and Brown killed that dream. Shell-shocked,the team voted not to play in a post season tourney. This week's foes: Yale and Brown on the road. Fasten your seat belts, fans.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-13-17 05:58 PM - Post#221742    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Was one of the crazier finishes to a season I've ever witnessed. Harvard dumped both games on a trip to the Ps to go from one up to one down and then Princeton dumped both at Brown/Yale to go from one up to losing the title.

Princeton goes at least 4-2 down the stretch over 80% of the time, so I really think the only way you lose the one seed is if you specifically lose to Harvard and Yale. Otherwise, you will win every tiebreaker at 12-2.

bradley 
PhD Student

02-13-17 10:18 PM - Post#221770    
    In response to Petrie

Had time to kill and was able to look at a replay of the first game with Yale at Jadwin. In addition, it was interesting to watch the Harvard-Yale for comparison. One conclusion was that Yale could certainly use the one-on-one skills of Makai Mason in addition to Copeland and Oyne. What Mason did against Baylor last year was amazing and they really miss him offensively this year.

In the first game, Dallier did not play but the end result was the Tigers got 38 minutes of Copeland. Oyne got in early 1st half foul trouble which definitely hurt Yale. Other than Copeland, Bruner was the only other scorer that night and Stephens was the only guy who could guard Copeland well. 24-22 half time score with the Tigers 1 out of 15 on 3 pointers with many wide open looks after shooting lights out against Brown. Coach Jones commented that Yale was fortunate to dodge the bullet in the 1st half at halftime.

Stephens, Cook and Bell drove past their defenders often which opened up the offense. Other than Oyne and Burner, Yale does not appear to have quick defenders. I would not be surprised if Henderson uses the 2nd half strategy on Friday night and kick the ball out to Weisz and Cannady if the Yale defenders collapse around the basket to fend off Stephens and crew. Yale will play desperate and defend hard but will they be quick enough???

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.144 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:16 PM