Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Yale, etc        (Topic#19929)
sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-17-17 10:48 PM - Post#222210    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
Is it just me or is the lighting in the Yale gym kind of weird? It seems dark and the players have distinct shadows on the floor coming from some lighting source on one side.

It's not you. The baselines and sidelines look like the game is being played outside.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
02-17-17 10:51 PM - Post#222213    
    In response to SRP

Stephens is Ivy POY

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-17-17 10:52 PM - Post#222215    
    In response to sparman

And the Tigers finish the wipeout by 19. They are not going to lose too often with either that good of shooting or that level of defense. Get both and the win should be big.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-17-17 10:52 PM - Post#222216    
    In response to SRP

Wow, best performance of the Ivy campaign, soundly beating a really talented Yale team on their home court. They sustained their defensive effort and shooting all game long and Yale was never able to get back in the game. What a treat!

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
02-17-17 10:58 PM - Post#222220    
    In response to Tiger81

I don't want to count chickens before they hatch, but with wins on the road against Harvard, Yale and Penn, I feel like they're leading in the "popular vote" but of course, that doesn't matter.

SRP 
Postdoc

Yale, etc
02-17-17 11:01 PM - Post#222221    
    In response to umbrellaman

Funny analogy. I'm very happy to have watched this terrific performance on the road against a tough team, but there is not the same sense of relief and exultation I used to get from such events. Nice to have the clean sheet in the loss column, though, for sure.

BTW, Miller had 3 assists, 2 rebounds, a steal, and a block (plus 3 PFs) in limited playing time. And he had great low-post position a bunch of times in the first half without receiving the ball. While I'm glad Gladson is performing pretty well (including a nice one-on-one defensive stand against Copeland), I think we are going to need continued good play from Miller to get through the tournament.

Edited by SRP on 02-17-17 11:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
02-17-17 11:04 PM - Post#222222    
    In response to umbrellaman

• umbrellaman Said:
I don't want to count chickens before they hatch, but with wins on the road against Harvard, Yale and Penn, I feel like they're leading in the "popular vote" but of course, that doesn't matter.

I was told quite insistently that the spectacular new Ivy tournament would make every regular season game meaningful. And yet now I find out that isn't true for Princeton's final five?

SRP 
Postdoc

02-17-17 11:05 PM - Post#222223    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Not too many tournament boosters in the black and orange precincts on these boards.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-17-17 11:10 PM - Post#222224    
    In response to SRP

Yes. I knew that.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-17-17 11:31 PM - Post#222229    

Chip's hopes are alive with big Penn win @ Brown tonight. Their board has been a lot more upbeat since they still cling to the possibility of a #4 finish plus the home court in the tourney. It would be ironic if the penn men crawled back from the grave to qualify for and then win the tournament at the same time their fine women's team swept the regular season and were then upset in the tournament and failed to get a 2nd bid?

You laugh. But consider what happened to us all in November.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-17-17 11:43 PM - Post#222233    
    In response to Tiger69

I don't think anyone is laughing at this not-implausible possibility.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-18-17 12:08 AM - Post#222237    
    In response to Tiger81

Very strong performance with defensive intensity and technique setting the tone once again. Tigers are a very different defensive team than prior years. You can count the number of uncontested shots on one or two hands that they give up and they get their fair share of open shots offensively.

They easily could have enjoyed a 15 pt first half. Yale certainly did not quit and stayed in the game during the beginning of the 2nd half.

Tigers are a selfless team and they go to the open shooter and/or hot guy. Weisz certainly sets the tone and Stephens is remarkably talented. I wonder if Henderson has anything to do with defensive effort and selfless play??

Yale announcers were accurate, analytical and not biased; not what you usually hear. They were very complementary as to the quality of play by the Tigers and what the season would look like right now if not for the (dopey) IL Tournament.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-18-17 12:26 AM - Post#222240    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Chip's hopes are alive with big Penn win @ Brown tonight. Their board has been a lot more upbeat since they still cling to the possibility of a #4 finish plus the home court in the tourney. It would be ironic if the penn men crawled back from the grave to qualify for and then win the tournament at the same time their fine women's team swept the regular season and were then upset in the tournament and failed to get a 2nd bid?

You laugh. But consider what happened to us all in November.

To state the obvious, since I must: I was mocking the league's PR about the tournament. But I should have understood that you wouldn't understand.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

02-18-17 02:05 AM - Post#222246    

Guess I'm not at your level of mocking, asstroll.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Yale, etc
02-18-17 02:21 AM - Post#222248    
    In response to Tiger69

Mr Bayers. I withdraw my above remark. I shouldn't post so reactively. On the other hand, neither should you. One would think, with this evening's success at Brown, you would be in a better mood. So, I can only think that you are either one unhappy dude or a very unpleasant person. If the former, you have my sympathy. If the latter, please troll elsewhere.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-18-17 02:26 AM - Post#222249    
    In response to Tiger69

Jeez, all I did in the first place was make a lighthearted reply to Pat's post because we've known each other virtually for decades (yes, it has been that long).

What happened after is all about some people having no sense of humor or perspective.

You really need to look in a mirror.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-18-17 02:46 AM - Post#222250    

I give Chip a break here; he was trying to play off of our mutual dislike for the tourney and the BS surrounding it. I didn't get it because the tone was a tad off.

PU did all it could to knock Penn out of this thing. I am definitely rooting for Yale tomorrow because I do not want to see these guys in the Palestra for another crack at the Tigers. Although I guess losing to Brown would raise their chances of nosing out the Quakers. Oy, this tournament is creating all sorts of weirdness.

I'm really liking my proposal more and more for the N+1 tournament (that I left in the comments of the Cornell thread on the Penn board). If the regular season champ goes undefeated, no tournament (or a tournament with only one team and zero games)--it would be like not having an election runoff if a candidate gets over 50% in the first round. If the champ has one loss, the champ and the second-best team play a one-game playoff. Two losses, and the top three teams have a playoff. Etc.

SRP 
Postdoc

02-18-17 03:01 AM - Post#222251    
    In response to SRP

One thing I might have been wrong about is the effect of the tournament on coaches. I thought it would make their lives easier because they'd only have to get into the thing once every few years and maybe win one game in order to look acceptable. But it seems I've overlooked the anger fans feel at the prospect of being in the bottom four, which must feel worse now that there is a formal cut. The vitriol level on the earth-toned boards is rising to a level I haven't seen before.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-18-17 03:06 AM - Post#222252    
    In response to SRP

I am certainly a tad off.

But no more off than the higher power known as Variance who has kept the Quakers alive for another day!

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-18-17 08:23 AM - Post#222256    
    In response to bradley

I agree, the Yale announcers were very good (although the guy on the right looked like he should be carded ...).

And you are right about Princeton's defense, which never has been better. A great combination of athletic talent and tenacity, they anticipate switches, double the post quickly and deflect and disrupt many shots and passes. Last year we were concerned about the sporadic defensive efforts and I believe Brian Earl mainly focused on this when he was on the coaching staff, I wonder who has elevated the team's play this year?

SRP - I also liked Miller's play last night, but I admit I am a fan of his game. He plays solid positional defense, rebounds well and offensive possessions always seem to flow better when he is on the court.

Without Brase and Caruso the rotation is still short with the starters + Bell getting 90% of the minutes and only five players scoring last night before Brennan's garbage time bucket. Last night's game seemed like a bit of a throwback to the Carril era when stingy D, deliberate O and a short bench was often the formula for success. I hope they have enough gas tonight in Providence against a Brown team that got pasted by Penn.

Page 3 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.744 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:26 PM