Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Final 66-51        (Topic#19957)
mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-17 08:55 PM - Post#222346    

Nice finish to a great week-end!!

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-18-17 09:45 PM - Post#222355    
    In response to mmp629

Yep. Even with a big dropoff in shooting percentage and a bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers in the second half, the Tigers were only outscored by 1 point in that half. Love the energy displayed by some of our ironman guys. Also love the way Cook was a low scorer last night and led the team in this game, Cannady was a high scorer last night but didn't force it tonight, etc. Also loved seeing Miller involved in the offense, even doing my favorite fake-handoff-half-spin-an d-drive play where he got fouled and then hit both FTs.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
02-18-17 10:13 PM - Post#222380    
    In response to SRP

Good analysis! So much versatility on this team.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
02-18-17 11:00 PM - Post#222405    
    In response to mmp629

Back-to-back beatdowns on the road. That's the team I thought we were getting this year. Who knows what it means come postseason time, though. Even if they make it through the Ivy tourney, will they be able to take down their NCAA opponent?

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-18-17 11:11 PM - Post#222406    
    In response to SRP

25-10 after 8 minutes -- it looked like men against boys once again. Brown announcers were pretty much like the Yale announcers last night commenting about Tigers' maturity and unselfishness.

Looked like the Tigers were not in first gear offensively after jumping off to big lead.

It appears that Miller is getting back in good graces with Coach H. Miller was a scoring machine. Stephens was a little off offensively but he shut down Blackmon once again.

Great weekend once again! More work to do as to being sole Ivy League champ and go for the rainbow, 14-0.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-18-17 11:35 PM - Post#222408    
    In response to bradley

In a lot of games where Princeton has dissipated a big lead it is clear that they start running the offense to bleed time off the clock, feeling that an extra 15 seconds run off is better than a 10%-point improvement, say, in the quality of the shot they get. It seems very conscious and analytics-based. But it drives me a little crazy when it starts before the three-minute mark.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-19-17 01:54 AM - Post#222425    
    In response to SRP

Tonight it might have to do with 2nd night fatigue. The outside shooting pct drops off as well as foul shooting. That is when we need our inside game most.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-19-17 09:44 AM - Post#222439    
    In response to Tiger69

Just watched the replay on ILDN. This weekend I feel like the Tigers elevated their play to a new level. Past wins this Ivy season have often been the result of gutsy play down the stretch, unyielding defense and making fewer mistakes than the opposition. In these away games, the confidence and patience on the offensive end reminded me of how the team looked at the end of last season where most possessions ended in a clean look. It helps to shoot well but the scorers tonight were different than against Yale which indicates that they are letting the offensive flow dictate shot selection. As a result they are a harder team to defend, a very tough team to beat and a lot of fun to watch.

Steven Spieth reminds me of Steven Cook, really athletic and dangerous in so many ways, I'm glad we won't need to face him again.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-19-17 09:58 AM - Post#222440    
    In response to Tiger69

Good question and a tough one to answer. My best guess is that the early 15 point lead took the intensity level down on offense unlike the Yale game. There always a possibility of a little bit of a let down after finally beating Yale at New Haven.

The other possibility is fatigue as you suggest. Weisz, Cook, Cannady and Stepehens are averaging over 30 minutes per game with Bell getting 20-25 minutes. Fortunately, Miller's minutes are moving up.

One of the many ironies of the IL Championship is that they decided to play two games within 24 hours with the purpose to enhance the quality of play vs. money although I am sure that every player on all four teams will be physically and mentally tuned in unless there is a 3OT semi-final game. Quality of play probably would have been enhanced with additional day spacing.

Last team to go undefeated was Cornell in 2007 -- would be a nice accomplishment for the Weisz, Cook and the boys.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-19-17 11:26 AM - Post#222445    
    In response to bradley

It would be awesome to see the Tigers win out but the C-C homestand was hard-fought, Harvard will want to avenge their choke job in Cambridge and Dartmouth showed last night that it can be a tough out as well. But I love the way the Tigers are playing and it would be a sublime career capstone for this team's seniors to join the elite ranks of undefeated league champs.

It is indeed ironic (and moronic) that with the new Ivy tourney a 14-0 team must go 16-0 to represent the league in the NCAA's. While I get that this creates Big Dance hopes and dreams for teams that haven't performed as well during the regular season I am less interested in that than rewarding the team that got the job done during the grind of the previous 14 games. I will try now to stop complaining and accept the new order, similar to the mentality I am struggling to adopt for the fate of our country ...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.176 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:10 PM