Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Username Post: Jackson Donahue        (Topic#19969)
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-20-17 12:25 PM - Post#222649    

For all of you who wonder why SD plays JD so much, here is the quote on the former, about the latter, directly from Jonathan Tannenwald's (Philly.com) twitter feed:

"I think it was just a matter of time until he started making shots. I know it's been a really hard year for him in shot-making. And we watched him-he was not confident and comfortable, and maybe his minutes weren't as consistent as he needed to be consistently shooting. Beside that, he's our glue on defense. he talks the best. Out of bounds on both sides of the ball, he's almost like a special teams player. I've got to have him out there on both sides. he runs our offense, He gets guys moving. he talks. All those things. And now he's confident in his shot. It really helps us be a better team."

So there you have it, straight from the top.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-20-17 12:38 PM - Post#222655    
    In response to PennFan10

Look, he's the coach and his opinion is all that matters, but it's sure hard to watch sometimes. At least, they need to keep him out of really bad defensive matchups like Spieth and Oni.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-20-17 01:05 PM - Post#222661    
    In response to Streamers

I'm not so sure. Overall, we defended Brown much better with Donahue on Spieth than we did the time before. It doesn't matter if one guy gets all the points if we beat them by 24. And as I pointed out in another thread, Spieth had 2 points with Donahue on him in the first half. All his other points came with Betley on him. Once we're up 25, I'm not too concerned if Spieth gets his off Donahue.

Same thing with Yale -- Oni killed our big guys the first game, and he got some points off Donahue in the 2nd game. But if we keep them in the 50s, it doesn't matter. Not sure why the whole drink mixes better with Donahue on a much bigger guard, but it sure worked this past weekend.

The point about the offense is true, too. When Foreman is off the court, Donahue is the guy running the offense, even if Goodman is doing the physical point guard things.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-20-17 01:31 PM - Post#222665    
    In response to SomeGuy

Jackson plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's all intensity - the kind of guy the other team hates to play against.

That said, the only reason I can see him playing the minutes he does is if you like Dev coming in off the bench (and I do - he has that Anthony Arnolie vibe going) and think it's better to go with Donahue over MacDonald or Wood. I can see the logic as long as we don't get caught up in the trap that Donahue is an integral player in the rotation.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-20-17 01:46 PM - Post#222668    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Jackson plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's all intensity - the kind of guy the other team hates to play against.

I've said on more than one occasion that if JD were playing for Princeton, he would bring out the haters here like nobody else.

That said, I understand the argument that says we had two really strong defensive performances this weekend, so JD getting scored on by star guards who can shoot over him is not so bad. But, they did take him off Oni in the second half and that is when we took over the game.

I also get the part that you have to let shooters shoot their way out of slumps... as long as they don't take dumb ones. SD has yanked him for poor shot selection, but not soon enough IMHO.

Whatever, it's all going so well right now, I hope they change little or nothing going into next weekend.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-20-17 02:29 PM - Post#222674    
    In response to TheLine

It's certainly fun when we're winning. Both halves against Yale, we were pounding them early, and I found myself thinking "this is really going to get fun once Dev gets in the game." If we were down 7, I guess it would be "why the F isn't Dev in the game!"

While we seem to have an iron 8 now, there is still a little wiggle game to game. Donahue's minutes have been in the low teens a couple of times. Yestrday, it was really an iron 7, as Jones didn't play much despite some foul troubles. Whether we play Max with AJ (and how much) varies depending on matchup. I actually like it more against smaller teams like Brown. I think Howard gets the better of matchups against bigs. Once the matchup is with a 4th guard like Spieth, I like making the small team figure out how to guard Max while still doubling AJ.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-20-17 10:30 PM - Post#222777    
    In response to SomeGuy

I get what SD is saying about JD, but I think he should be more of an energy player off the bench. He clearly is active and has great work ethic. His skills are excellent. But he was taking shaky shots and missing them. Against Brown, I watched him getting burned off the dribble repeatedly. Goodman and Foreman would only lose their man off of a pick, not off of a one-on-one dribble drive.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

02-21-17 02:08 PM - Post#222872    
    In response to Penndemonium

the glue guy whatever role that i hate (and therefore maybe can't evaluate well)... why couldn't that be MacDonald? I thought he did it better than JD.

palestra38 
Professor

02-21-17 02:22 PM - Post#222873    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I don't understand what happened with McDonald--he showed enough to be named a captain without playing a game and was able to score at FDU. But he had no offensive game and was slow defending the dribble. Apparently, putting in a guy with greater quickness and a much better shot (Betley) is more important than "glue". With Jackson, it is live and die with his shot.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

02-21-17 03:05 PM - Post#222879    
    In response to palestra38

i have 0 issues with betley over mac. that wasn't the question. the question was "if i need a bad offensive player that hustles a lot and "calls out the plays", why not go with mac, the captain?"

palestra38 
Professor

02-21-17 03:12 PM - Post#222881    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I thought I mentioned that---because JD can drill 4 or 5 3-pointers and change a game. He's frustratingly inconsistent though

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

02-21-17 03:16 PM - Post#222883    

yeah but those are just like words strung together. He shoots 30%. mac shoots 32%. He's in no way instant 0. I mean if this was sam, I could understand that. You bring him in when you need instant 0 and recognize he's limited elsewhere. He's more likely to shoot us out of a game than shoot us into it.

palestra38 
Professor

02-21-17 03:26 PM - Post#222885    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I agree with you....I have wondered why he plays the minutes he gets. But I'm trying to get across what SD is thinking. He's thinking---the next 5 are going in.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-21-17 04:20 PM - Post#222893    

Here's what I think is the big difference between Jackson Donahue and Matt Macdonald: Donahue's clearly willing to shoot it, and Macdonald isn't. A player who's obviously uncomfortable being aggressive on offense (despite all of Macdonald's other talents) is a liability in S. Donahue's system. The coach has picked his poison, and it's the guy who'll hoist it up anytime. Hard to argue with the results, at least so far.

palestra38 
Professor

02-21-17 04:34 PM - Post#222894    
    In response to Silver Maple

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-m...

It's just hard to understand why Matt was so reticent to shoot this year---look at his numbers with FDU and his ORAT. Something just caused him to lose confidence.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

02-21-17 04:36 PM - Post#222895    

It's Fran McCaffery all over again.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-21-17 04:52 PM - Post#222896    

That is a very astute observation--for this year.

Of course, in other recent years we had no shortage of guys who chucked up shot after shot, with disastrous results.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Jackson Donahue
02-21-17 04:57 PM - Post#222898    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
That is a very astute observation--for this year.

Agreed-- We have two potential impact freshmen joining the program next season. If either of them can chuck it with greater consistency than Jackson, he might find himself spending some more time on the bench.

Furthermore, if Macdonald somehow finds his misplaced mojo over the summer, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEuw2mgLRuQ) or Caleb Wood gets his ball handling skills up to a D1 level, those developments would also endanger Jackson's minutes.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Re: Jackson Donahue
02-21-17 07:28 PM - Post#222926    

With Woods back, he's got to stay ahead of Goodman, too, and any lead he has there for playing time is closing fast. Howard graduating helps some, as Betley my slide up to play that role at times if Simmons isn't immediately ready. But I'd prefer not to play 3 small guards at once, so it really looks to me like Donahue/Foreman/Woods/Goo dman are splitting two positions, and that is before anyone else forces their way into the mix, and we may play big some with Betley or Jones at the 2 as well. So lots of competition for Jackson.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-21-17 07:41 PM - Post#222927    
    In response to SomeGuy

He better make hay now.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.208 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 AM