Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Calling Steve Danley        (Topic#19987)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-23-17 11:10 AM - Post#223106    

Where have you been? Really curious to get your views on Ivy Madness, this freshman class, and AJ in particular since you would understand better than most what he needs to do and learn.

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
Re: Calling Steve Danley
02-23-17 05:23 PM - Post#223146    
    In response to Streamers

Thanks for thinking of me Streamers.

It's been a crazy year or so on this end. Was married in July, on sabbatical and largely out of the country in the Fall. Work has been busy since Christmas, when we got back to town.

It means I've only seen the Quakers a few times (in league) -- my wife played at Columbia, and one of the young women McLaughlin recruited is from her AAU program, so we've caught some of the women's games too.

I've been pretty quiet, in part because the games I've made (Yale, Princeton, Brown) we have looked awful.

I no longer have much of a connection to the guys on the team -- Darien was the last guy whose phone number I had and who I would check in with once in a while. But I, like many here, have wondered how the guys are getting through a season with ups and downs, and the stress of starting one day and not taking off your warmups the next. I can still remember the weeks (mostly in the preseason) when I was "demoted" from first team as a motivational tool. They were hard.

As for the tourney -- it makes me a little sad that games between the top few teams don't have quite the same stakes. And I can't really believe (for competitive reasons) they're letting the tournament be played in the Palestra. But other than that, I'm mostly just curious to see how it plays out, and genuinely excited to have some games down the stretch that matter for my Quakers.

I love AJ. He's got a 6th sense in the post. My sense is he's worn down a bit as the season has gone along (understandably -- college is MUCH more physically demanding than HS -- and for a freshman big he's going from having a physical advantage every night in HS to a strength deficit most nights here). The games I saw, he was a mess with the double team -- though it sounds like that's getting better. There are a few little things I'd love to see him add (he depends a lot on dribbles and counters in the post -- would love to see a quick-hitter move before the double). But my general take is we have a guy who will be 1st team all-ivy the next few years and that we can build around.

I've talked a bit to the staff about maybe working with him -- for me, having a big to vent to (Shawn Trice) and to work with me was one of the best things in my career. But life is pretty busy (I go up for tenure next year) and being across the bridge makes it harder to do that consistently. We'll see if something arises at some point. But he's already pretty freakin good, and he doesn't really know me from Adam. It was easier when I was around more and played pickup with the guys a few times in the fall/spring.

I do wish we made life a little easier for AJ. Most of my post-ups were a result of "rim-running" in the secondary fast break. It's easier to get deep position that way, and defenses aren't set in their rotations. We had guys get lots of early threes because I was just enough of a threat down there. AJ is already far more of one -- seems like we could get some easy buckets, either for him before a double could arrive, or for our shooters. But hard without a point you completely trust, and for whatever reason I don't see us attacking that way.

Lastly, I was hearing great things about Jelani before he went down with the injury. He had a big game against my HS this summer, and folks were just raving about his size and body control. I think Steve D is going to have some interesting choices at the point and wing position next year -- hopefully the rotation will shake out early and guys will get a chance to grow into their roles.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-24-17 12:31 AM - Post#223169    
    In response to SteveDanley

Great to hear from you Steve. Sounds like life is treating you well.
Seems to me AJ would benefit from having you on speed dial. Hope that works out. He still has so much upside. I think we'd all love to see him take that shot he has from the top of the key often enough for opponents to be forced to defend it and get more comfortable playing with another true 4 on the floor like Max.
Hope you make it in for the next home stand.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.419 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:28 AM