Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: The state of Brown hoops        (Topic#19992)
jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
03-22-17 09:09 AM - Post#227883    
    In response to JBears

I will start by saying that I do hope Corey is fully recovered from his concussion, is overall at full strength, and finds happiness away from the game.

Hoops wise though watching him clank open shot after open shot at critical times was testing my sanity. Not to mention he couldn't stop a RISD art student from getting into the lane. Him playing anything resembling meaningful minutes moving forward would have been a bad omen.

Bruno 
Masters Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-22-17 11:33 PM - Post#227943    
    In response to jst4245

Nah, I liked Corey. Liked his smooth offensive game and feisty defense. He's a loss. But in context of crowded minutes at the 1/2, he may have felt he was odd man out.

So it would seem from the other comment that the other three leaving the program are in fact from this year's team. I note the ProJo article mentions a number of players but does not discuss the three freshmen bigs - Charnov, Erebor and Howard. Let's hope it's not all of those guys. Then we're back to no depth in the front court.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-25-17 08:20 PM - Post#228129    
    In response to Bruno

Still working. Twitter says we have another shooting guard from Houston.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
03-27-17 10:20 PM - Post#228244    
    In response to Bears03

• Bears03 Said:

There are a lot of things we can't quickly change - facilities, AI, finaid. So in my eyes this all comes down to recruiting.

It seems to me that, without making progress in areas you mention (facilities and financial aid in particular), recruiting success will be nearly impossible.

There appears to be a perception that all you need is a head coach who's a great salesman, and you'll be able to recruit. This is wrong. Recruiting is a team effort, and the HC is only one member of what's actually a pretty large team. In addition to the entire coaching staff, you need several members of the athletics department staff, the financial aid office, the admissions office and senior university administration all working together. Success requires an institutional commitment, not just a coach can sell shoes to snakes.

So, the question isn't whether Mike Martin can recruit, it's whether Brown University can recruit. Don't put it all on Martin.

Bruno 
Masters Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-28-17 11:10 PM - Post#228283    
    In response to Silver Maple

By the same token, don't suggest MM is a bystander. To suggest he isn't the captain of the effort - through the staff that he chose and works for him, leveraging the relationship he builds and the influence he has on the AD or finaid - isn't accurate. Nobody is more accountable for the success in recruiting than the head coach. You change the coach, you get different players. That's the case here, even at Brown.

There is no way to absolve the head coach of the outcomes. And I guarantee you MM doesn't want to be.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.082 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:12 PM