Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 8 « First<4567>
Username Post: Current Status: All-Ivy, ROY, POY        (Topic#20000)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
03-08-17 03:08 AM - Post#225517    
    In response to Jake Wilson

• Jake Wilson Said:
  • T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
Welcome back, Jake. Where you been?

Disneyland.

Haha, great to see you back on the board again Jake!

What was your favorite ride?

Jake Wilson 
Freshman

Loc: United States
Reg: 03-05-05
Current Status: All-Ivy, ROY, POY
03-08-17 10:49 AM - Post#225552    
    In response to Mike Porter

• Mike Porter Said:
Haha, great to see you back on the board again Jake!

What was your favorite ride?

Radiator Springs Racers.

It was keep doing this or stay married and have a family. I was burned out, disillusioned by college athletics in general, and upset by a few things in Ivy hoops specifically. So I walked away.

And I really didn't watch any Ivy hoops save a few NCAA Tournament games for about six years, as I increasingly got into European soccer. Then my parents moved to the East Side of Providence and got Brown season tickets, and I joined them for some games. Between that and not being able to look away from the car crash that was the end of the Jerome Allen Era at Penn, Ivy basketball crept back into my consciousness.

It was an alien landscape from the league I had last followed in 2008. Ivy teams won regularly in the NCAA Tournament. Recruiting was up dramatically across the league. The sport seemed to be real priority at all eight schools. It was basically what I dreamed of back in the day -- except for the Ivy tourney, of course.

This season I checked in nearly daily with the league from the beginning of the season through the start of the league. I subscribed to the ILDN. (I would have killed to have something like that 15 years ago...) I took a friend up on an offer of a spare ticket to Princeton-Harvard at Lavietes and really enjoyed it.

This has been a fun season. From Princeton emerging as a 14-0 champion in a hyper-competitive league, to a freshman-laden Harvard team improving over the course of the season (and freshmen leading the way at Yale, Penn, and Columbia, too), to the wild battle for the final Ivy tourney spot, I got sucked back in to some extent. I'm not about to start writing daily analytical pieces about the league again, but it has my attention.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-08-17 01:29 PM - Post#225599    
    In response to Jake Wilson

Welcome back Jake. I think I will work out in my old ivybasketball.com t-shirt to celebrate.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-08-17 02:13 PM - Post#225608    
    In response to mrjames

Awards will be announced at 3pm today. Bumping my picks from yesterday.

• Quote:
My guesses:

COY - Mitch
DPOY - Stephens
POY - Weisz
ROY - Aiken

1st Team - Cook, Weisz, Stephens, Spieth
1st Team/2nd Team Battle: Aiken, Boudreaux
2nd Team - Chambers, Oni, Cannady, Morgan, Petrasek
HM - Howard, Brodeur, Downey, Copeland

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-08-11
03-08-17 02:18 PM - Post#225612    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Awards will be announced at 3pm today. Bumping my picks from yesterday.

• Quote:
My guesses:

COY - Mitch
DPOY - Stephens
POY - Weisz
ROY - Aiken

1st Team - Cook, Weisz, Stephens, Spieth
1st Team/2nd Team Battle: Aiken, Boudreaux
2nd Team - Chambers, Oni, Cannady, Morgan, Petrasek
HM - Howard, Brodeur, Downey, Copeland

Those look like pretty good guesses. I'd put Boudreaux on the first team. Bump Aiken down to HM. And have Oni as ROY.

mrjames 
Professor

03-08-17 02:45 PM - Post#225620    
    In response to westphillywarrior

Lots of people selling Aiken short...

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-08-17 03:19 PM - Post#225626    
    In response to mrjames

No one is "selling Aiken short..". He is in the conversation and would not be a surprise winner. I think everyone recognizes its Aiken/Oni and the others. My preference is Oni since he is more of a two way player. After all, Aiken was on the bench for Penn's last play against Harvard last week. That tells you what Amaker thinks of him in crunch time on the defensive end.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
03-08-17 03:20 PM - Post#225627    
    In response to mrjames

I think Aiken is the bee's knees but traditionally hasn't the vote skewed towards upperclassmen?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-17 03:34 PM - Post#225629    
    In response to TheLine

Too many good players. Too few spots. Too few bids.

mrjames 
Professor

03-08-17 03:43 PM - Post#225633    
    In response to Tiger69

We'll see

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-08-17 03:57 PM - Post#225640    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Too many good players. Too few spots.

Football solves this issue by naming a 14 or 15-player "first team" on both sides of the ball.

mrjames 
Professor

03-08-17 04:01 PM - Post#225642    
    In response to Go Green

Here you go:

Player of the Year
Spencer Weisz, Princeton (Sr., F – Florham Park, N.J.)

Rookie of the Year
Bryce Aiken, Harvard (Fr., G – Randolph, N.J.)

Defensive Player of the Year
*Myles Stephens, Princeton (So., G – Lawrenceville, N.J.)

Coach of the Year
*Mitch Henderson, Princeton

First Team^
Bryce Aiken, Harvard (Fr., G – Randolph, N.J.)
Siyani Chambers, Harvard (Sr., G – Golden Valley, Minn.)
*Steven Cook, Princeton (Sr., F – Winnetka, Ill.)
Steven Spieth, Brown (Sr., F – Dallas, Texas)
Myles Stephens, Princeton (So., G – Lawrenceville, N.J.)
*Spencer Weisz, Princeton (Sr., F – Florham Park, N.J.)

Second Team
Evan Boudreaux, Dartmouth (So., F – Lake Forest, Ill.)
AJ Brodeur, Penn (Fr., F – Northborough, Mass.)
Matt Morgan, Cornell (So., G – Concord, N.C.)
Miye Oni, Yale (Fr., G – Porter Ranch, Calif.)
Luke Petrasek, Columbia (Sr., F – East Northport, N.Y.)

Honorable Mention
Devin Cannady, Princeton (So., G – Mishawaka, Ind.)
Sam Downey, Yale (Sr., F – Lake Forest, Ill.)
Matt Howard, Penn (Sr., G - Columbia, S.C.)

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-08-17 04:17 PM - Post#225652    
    In response to mrjames

Hopefully Boudreaux takes the slight personally and comes in with a big chip on his shoulder the next two years.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
03-08-17 04:25 PM - Post#225655    
    In response to Go Green

or he transfers out...

I think its solidly disrespectful that 6 made 1st team, and one of them was Aiken. Clearly in this case, team quality was a determining factor on an individual award.

Edited by SomeDartmouthStudent on 03-08-17 04:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

03-08-17 04:33 PM - Post#225657    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

SDS, I wouldn't worry about that happening in response to a sleight for a meaningless award. Boudreaux seems to have a good head on his shoulders -- even if he appears to be losing a little hair.

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
03-08-17 04:40 PM - Post#225660    
    In response to mrjames

It's TRASH that the IVY coaches chose Aiken, Chambers, and Stephens ahead of Boudreaux on First Team. This clearly isn't a best player ranking type award. This is a clubby best players on the top teams award. Princeton three players, Harvard two on First Team? Aikens numbers? 14 pts/g on 39.1% shooting? 2.3 boards and 2.9 assists? Started 8 games? You have to be kidding me. Boudreaux had far better numbers than Aiken his freshman year and was on Second Team. These awards are a JOKE. Boudreaux's numbers are ahead of nearly everyone on the First Team. In multiple categories. Averaged a Double Double in the league. 1st in rebounding, 2nd in scoring in conference and out of conference. No one else close to that. So the awards are now exposed for what they are: a clubby "supposed" best players on the top teams that win as chosen by the coaches awards. To conclude, it appears based on these results that no matter what Boudreaux did numbers wise, he wasn't making first team because Dartmouth didn't win. And that is BS.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

03-08-17 04:47 PM - Post#225661    
    In response to hoops123

You are absolutely correct! It is an OUTRAGE!

If I were him, I wouldn't take this lying down. I would transfer to Princeton immediately!

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
03-08-17 04:48 PM - Post#225662    
    In response to hoops123

Lets pump the brakes here. While I wont dispute that the HYP seems to have an advantage here, they also made the tournament this year.

The disparity between Boudreaux's Freshman year placement and this years placement is definitely of note.

Boudreaux has a distinct disadvantage playing for Dartmouth and the results of awards like this will certainly alter the perception of potential recruits (if there is even a perception to alter at this point).

I wouldn't fault him for trying to go somewhere that wins, where he would also be recognized for his ability. While that would suck for me as a Dartmouth fan, I think i'm more upset about what this means for Dartmouth basketball as a whole.

Also re: his tweet. It's not wrong...

TLDR; Dartmouth Sucks, Boudreaux is great. Why didnt he get 1st team last year? This snub will set Dartmouth back even further.

Edited by SomeDartmouthStudent on 03-08-17 04:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrjames 
Professor

03-08-17 04:55 PM - Post#225665    
    In response to hoops123

While there are definite biases baked into these awards and winning is one of them, winning doesn't determine everything. Steven Spieth made 1st team despite the same 4-10 Ivy record.

Spieth is a senior and being a senior helps - we can argue whether it should or not. I do want to defend the coaches though. Numbers are important. And there certainly can be good players on bad teams. Boudreaux's advanced metrics fell year over year in key categories including win shares (3.81 down to 2.07), offensive rating (107 to 97) and PER (22 to 19). He was 2nd team last year. His team was better last year. His advanced metrics were better last year.

It is possible to be on a bad team in make first team, but you need to be seen as a player that isn't benefiting from picking up counting stats because few others on your team can. The advanced stats do a nice job of sniffing that out, and they weren't favorable to Evan this year versus his freshman campaign. Coaches can recognize this. And they are a lot closer to this stuff than any of us.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
03-08-17 04:56 PM - Post#225666    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

If it makes you and Evan feel better, many of us on this forum had him on our first team.

He'll have 2 more years to prove the haters wrong.

Page 4 of 8 « First<4567>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.252 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:06 PM