Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Get the Lawyers Ready        (Topic#20022)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-27-17 02:17 PM - Post#223875    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
My presumption is Penn fans are waiting to see if they make it (and then as the 4 or 3).

I think we are learning that people are a little more interested in their own team than the overall "festival" as it were.

Also, most of the good seats are reserved for the participants, anyway, and the people who are really interested are also likely to have sufficient entree with their athletic departments to get those seats.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
02-27-17 02:18 PM - Post#223876    
    In response to palestra38

You remember that correctly. I'd take one too. I have a 1909 VDB but not an S.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-27-17 02:37 PM - Post#223879    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

It doesn't help that as of now only two of the teams are known.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Get the Lawyers Ready
02-27-17 09:34 PM - Post#223946    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:

This would truly be the most radical solution to avoid such patently absurd scenarios: play a 14-game round robin tournament to determine the league winner!

That's madness, Chip. Sheer madness. Perhaps even March Madness.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
02-27-17 09:56 PM - Post#223950    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Also, doesn't the hair splitting actually seem a little backwards? If we're breaking a tie by getting to record against the 6th or 7th team in the standings, by definition everything is even up to that point. And we know that both teams finished with the same record. So, if one team wins the tiebreaker by sweeping the 6th place team, by definition they will have dumped a game (and in the instant case perhaps even 2) to the 7th or 8th place team. That seems worse to me than splitting with the 6th place team. It makes sense to prioritize record against the top 3 - that tells you how well you play at the top of your game. But once we're down to 6th, If I was going to use HTH, I'd almost be inclined to go the other way and start from the back.

I had the same idea as I was going through the hypotheticals - that in some scenarios, Penn would go through because two of their losses came to a last place Dartmouth. It does speak to arbitrary nature of the tiebreakers - now Penn fans might be biased towards using the ratings - and that makes sense if you are thinking about NCAA tourney performance. But I do think it's preferable to use conference play first.
Strength of victory might yield a similar outcome and involve even more "meaningless games" but seems like a more satisfying measure. (You total up the number of Ivy wins for each team you beat - if you beat them twice, you count the wins twice)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-28-17 08:41 PM - Post#224072    
    In response to umbrellaman

I may be fun to watch Brown-Cornell which my mean little to the two teams playing, but a lot to some others. Intended consequences?

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.138 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:07 AM