Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: NCAA Has A bubble Problem        (Topic#20038)
frank 
Junior

Reg: 11-22-04
03-01-17 12:28 PM - Post#224124    

Should favor mid-majors, not mediocre big names:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 17/02/27/nc...

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
Re: NCAA Has A bubble Problem
03-01-17 12:46 PM - Post#224128    
    In response to frank

As long as school revenue is at stake, big-money coaches' jobs are on the line, and the Jay Bilases of the world spout about the supposedly poor first round W-L records of poorly seeded non-power conference teams - "should" will never change.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-01-17 06:58 PM - Post#224186    
    In response to sparman

Thamel phrases the conflict of interest between the TV people (and the audience) and the power-conference mafia pungently but accurately:

"Fans have spoken with their remotes in the regular season, and they don’t want to watch Wake Forest, Providence and Arkansas play, just like they didn’t want to see Michigan, Vanderbilt and Tulsa play in the NCAA tournament last year.“

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-01-17 08:21 PM - Post#224204    
    In response to SRP

While I would like for Thamel to be right, I'll believe the major conferences will surrender their death grip when I see it.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-01-17 08:53 PM - Post#224206    
    In response to sparman

Maybe it's time to go with a national championship for mid majors only. Not sure what to suggest, but readers on these threads are full of imagination. My two bits: let the power five or six or however many conferences now run things have their own damn National Championship with only their members. They can invite all the mediocre teams in their conferences they want. However, no one outside of their conferences need apply. The rest of us form our own tournament without the big guys -- along the lines of college football now. IMHO, we non athletic factory schools will still be a big draw and will not be ignored by the TV guys. There is plenty of high level talent around for the mid majors. So the quality of play will not be a significant drop from the "power" conferences. But, the big advantage will be the opportunity to introduce some sanity into what is fast becoming a corrupt system.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.299 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:28 AM