Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Student support        (Topic#20057)
barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
03-03-17 10:51 PM - Post#224591    

I am a season ticket holder who has been at every home game. I am not a Penn grad, having gone to a small college in Ohio. The support the team gets from the students is pitiful. Attendance is awful and those who show up don't cheer. I hope this turns around for tomorrow night, the. most important game in many years

Edited by barryw on 03-03-17 10:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
Student support
03-03-17 10:53 PM - Post#224593    
    In response to barryw

Spring break. Forget it. That's why the band was where they were. This will continue to be an issue every year too. People didn't even go to the Princeton game most of my years at school, you know, when we used to actually win. We were lucky to fill it up for Yale at Easton. The student support stinks but nothing we can do here. Got to start fresh next year and get them early.

caughtinasnare 
Senior

Reg: 02-21-09
03-04-17 12:49 AM - Post#224628    
    In response to Quakers03

I remember the Palestra rocking my freshman year (the last year of Ibby, Zoller, and Danley). I also remember the depths it shrunk to by my senior year, where I remember that for one game (the one for which I counted), I personally had to start about a third of the chants. That said, hopefully we can return to a place like we were my freshman year and get away from the atmosphere like my senior year.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
03-04-17 08:41 AM - Post#224651    
    In response to caughtinasnare

The student section should be relegated to one of the corners. Pathetic lot.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-04-17 08:58 AM - Post#224653    
    In response to Charlie Fog

The pre frosh filled it a few weeks ago and had a good time so that helps. But it's all about winning.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-17 01:28 PM - Post#224710    
    In response to Quakers03

In the '70s, the average student was a white guy from the Northeast Corridor, who grew up with Clyde or Havlicek or Unseld and was a big basketball fan before coming to Penn, where Penn had the 3d best record in all of college ball during that decade. Penn's out of conference games were more important than League games except for Princeton. By the '90s, Penn was changing, but still had a solid core of kids who grew up with basketball and Penn basketball was experiencing a renaissance under Dunphy. The League was pretty much everything though, especially after Allen and Maloney were done. 20 years later, Penn is a completely different school. The academic requirements to get in mean that most kids here now, with few exceptions, are not sports fans. You want a school with a similar student body of Penn when basketball was king? Look at Syracuse today.

Regrettably, we'll never see student support again where there are overnight lines just for the right to buy tickets. If we are a consistent winner, it may be a popular thing to do for a while. But in general, I don't think it's possible to get a basketball-crazed student body ever again.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.26 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:50 PM