Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 8 « First<4567>
Username Post: Harvard II and other things        (Topic#20060)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Harvard II and other things
03-04-17 10:20 PM - Post#224883    
    In response to Penndemonium

I don't want to be negative, but I was kind of glad to hear Foreman fouled out. I was a bit worried about his deliberate style in crunch time- that he would hold the ball too late into the clock. Much prefer the way Goodman moves the ball either on the dribble or with a pass. I have visions of Foreman dribbling in place with the ball while he scans the court. Lack of ball movement just kills the O and gives the advantage to the opponent's D.

Edited by Penndemonium on 03-04-17 10:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-17 10:20 PM - Post#224884    
    In response to rbg

Amazing that Columbia was poised to enter the tournament having lost 7 of 8 down the stretch, until JD broke their hearts.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-04-17 10:23 PM - Post#224886    
    In response to PennFan10

Amazing win! I was landing on flight so couldn't even follow stats until after (again probably best for my heart!). Obviously season like we had can get frustrating as a diehard fan, but proud of the team finding a way to win this game and also finding a way to get to the Palestra from down 0-6!!!

And most of all, happy for and thankful of Matt Howard!!! I'm sure he had other options mid-Penn career when things got real bad, but he stuck it out and got us here. Let's Go Quakers!

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Harvard II and other things
03-04-17 10:27 PM - Post#224887    
    In response to Mike Porter

A tip of the hat to Matt Howard. From the start of the game, his determination and timely plays kept Penn alive. Nice to see he'll get to play at least one more game at the Palestra.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-04-17 10:27 PM - Post#224888    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
Congrats to the Penn Quakers. What a strange regular season it's been. Matt Howard was not ready for his college career to end. That's awesome.

Yeah, he did pick them up and carry them today.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
03-04-17 10:33 PM - Post#224890    
    In response to dperry

Checking the box, Donahue's only stat line entry in limited minutes despite starting (13 total) prior to taking and hitting his only FGA was a lone defensive rebound.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-04-17 10:39 PM - Post#224892    
    In response to dperry

I slowed down the replay to try to see if Steve Donahue actually called the play to Jackson Donahue. It appears that it was an even better designed play than that. Edosomwan gets lost doubing Goodman and Brodeur was wide open down the lan for a layup if Donahue pulls the ball down AND had great position for a rebound if he missed.

Obviously, Harvard has more talent out there, running out Edosomwan, Towns, Baker, and Lewis on the front court for instance. But unlike Penn they didn't seem to be able to exploit mismatches and double teams. They'll be scary if they ever learn to move the ball around, but that's an if.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
03-04-17 10:53 PM - Post#224894    
    In response to umbrellaman

Radio guys also said S. Donahue after the shot was screaming at Goodman to foul Chambers in the backcourt to prevent a three attempt. But Dev apparently didn't hear him because he was back pedaling like mad, which allowed Chambers to get into the front court with his head up to make the pass to Johnson for the potential tying shot.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 03-04-17 10:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-04-17 11:31 PM - Post#224895    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Tonight is a time to celebrate. Best night for Penn basketball in many, many years.

No criticism from me tonight!!!

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-04-17 11:35 PM - Post#224897    
    In response to penn nation

Four seed!! Best seeding in so many years.

Lefteroo 
Senior

Reg: 02-12-05
03-04-17 11:44 PM - Post#224898    
    In response to 10Q

I could not watch here, and I was relying on you guys in this thread for updates. Mrs. L and I went out for a late meal - I just got home, scrolled through all the comments from where I had left off with 5:20 left in the game, and got the happy result at the end. Thank you, guys, for keeping me posted!! 4th Place never felt so good!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-04-17 11:57 PM - Post#224899    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Funny -- my son and I spent the timeout discussing what we thought Penn would run and who we wanted to take the last shot. Jackson was the one guy whose name never came up!

palestra38 
Professor

03-05-17 12:04 AM - Post#224901    
    In response to SomeGuy

Same here--no one in our row thought they would run a play for Donahue, who had simply done nothing up to that point. With the way Howard was playing, how could we not go to him. Howard ran to the far corner, Donahue came off a pick and had the clean look. We all cringed---with almost 7 seconds left, there was too much time if he missed.

Had it all the way. What a great shot and a great play. And some heroics along the way, with consistently great play from Howard, a huge 3 from AJ that cut a desperate 7 point deficit to 4. A great steal and end to end from Goodman. That 7 point lead was gone in less than a minute. We just never gave up, despite the amazing talent Harvard has---they had 9 or 10 guys who can make plays.

A little surprised that Harvard never applied pressure on the ball. But we took an important step today. We will be better next year (although we will miss Howard) and one more good recruiting class and we'll be very competitive. Meanwhile, it's pure House Money against Princeton and it's in our House.

Ted 
Junior

Reg: 12-23-12
03-05-17 12:06 AM - Post#224902    
    In response to SomeGuy

Best game in at least 10 years! And great to hear the joint rockin' again! Congrats Quakers, for a gritty, gutsy win.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
03-05-17 12:09 AM - Post#224903    
    In response to Ted

Looking only at the box score you would say Aiken & Chambers dominated; but I think Foreman & Goodman did terrific jobs keeping in front of them & making them work for their points & that Foreman had a very good weekend running the offense.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
03-05-17 12:30 AM - Post#224905    
    In response to section110

Best thing about it is at least one extra game of experience for the freshmen.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
03-05-17 12:56 AM - Post#224906    
    In response to Mike Porter

• Mike Porter Said:
And most of all, happy for and thankful of Matt Howard!!! I'm sure he had other options mid-Penn career when things got real bad, but he stuck it out and got us here. Let's Go Quakers!

Aside from that great come-from-behind win against Princeton with that Begley-Osmundson-Fikiel team, I cannot think of a better game I've seen in person.

I was at The Palestra with my 10-year-old, who brought two of his friends, and we stayed around late to see the players come out afterwards. I had the chance to talk to Matt Howard. I thanked him for what he's given to the Penn program, said he will be missed next year, and asked him if he had any second thoughts about attending Penn, since he had quite a few other offers... He looked at me kind of quizzically and said "God no!! I love this place."

Also met Ryan Betley. What a great kid.

Having met some of the players, it will be hard for me to be overly critical of them on this board in the future. They are kids who sacrifice a lot for this program and are trying hard to win every game. So tonight, let's celebrate the great win these kids gave us!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-05-17 01:04 AM - Post#224907    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Last night apparently drained both Harvard and Dartmouth.

Keep yapping big guy...keep yapping. Say what you want but no way you're happy about this.

• Ted Said:
Best game in at least 10 years! And great to hear the joint rockin' again! Congrats Quakers, for a gritty, gutsy win.

I still take the Tyler charge game at Harvard over this, but this is certainly the best in the last 5 years. Same situation now too, except we're home.

As for the game, what can you say except good for the guys. Great for the guys, actually. Howard would not let them lose and if healthy throughout the league season, this would've been wrapped up a week ago. Props to AJ for staying with it. Even when missing, Betley's presence is always felt. And how about them making 80% from the line and being perfect in the first half?

As for the last play, I'm glad Darnell fouling out took the decision out of Steve's hands. I was certain they'd get the ball to Matt, but good for coach for keeping confidence all year in Jackson and good for Jackson for such a sweet stroke. That ball was in the air forever. Man did I miss looking across the Palestra at fellow fans going nuts. It has been far too long.

I really wonder what the make up of fans will be.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-05-17 01:35 AM - Post#224909    
    In response to Quakers03

Anyone know where the Penn bench will be? Would they move them?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-05-17 01:36 AM - Post#224910    
    In response to Quakers03

and maybe the locker room too.

Page 4 of 8 « First<4567>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.935 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:34 PM