Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Seniors        (Topic#20089)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-08-17 12:04 AM - Post#225512    

It's pretty historically unusual to have three players from the same class have this kind of impact on the Brown program. But these guys had careers.

JR Hobbie really is the best long distance shooter in Brown history. I got to see Brian Lloyd and Damon Huffman and Patrick Powers and Mike Martin - and JR was the best. He's the only player I've watched that, when he shot the three - whether contested or open - I expected it to go in, and was actually surprised when it didn't. The purest distance shooter, with the least variation in the shot that I have seen.

Tavon Blackmon is the purest pass-first point guard since Mike Waitkus. He brought a skill set to Brown hoops that we didn't have. He could get the ball up the court against anybody in the nation, could work his way into the lane with the very best of them, could finish in traffic despite his height and lack of jumping ability, and just brought a visceral quickness and natural feel for the court that is reminiscent of big conference point guards. More than anything you loved his demeanor - cool, the floor general and at times with an edge. And once he developed his outside shot, he became what you draw up as the classic perfect point guard.

Steven Spieth is quite simply the most versatile and best well-rounded player in Brown history. Rebounding, passing, defense, driving, shooting, free throws, and savvy play overall. He did not have a fundamental weakness. He only had fundamental strengths. A coach's and fan's dream, and probably the least selfish player on the league. And the way his game evolved, from efficient role player to lockdown defender to big time rebounder to commanding scorer who could take over a game, was remarkable to watch. If you're drafting your team, he very well may be your first pick. An all-time great.

They each had performances that I have loved over the years - Hobbie shredding Penn, Tavon outplaying Chambers, Spieth taking over and putting up the near triple-double against Niagara. But by far my favorite collective effort was their win at Providence their sophomore year. Along with the other key player in their class Leland King, these guys all had huge games and huge moments vs. PC. Tavon outplayed lottery pick Kris Dunn and forced him into 7 turnovers, while also sealing the win with a nifty drive and floater with Dunn on him. JR had a four point play and it seemed like every three he hit was a back-breaker, the biggest of which came off the break late in the 2nd half. And Spieth with key drives, free throw perfection down the stretch, and my favorite moment, the block of Ledontae Henton's jumper. It was my favorite win of their era, the perfect game played on national TV.

Felt lucky to watch these boys play and get better for the last four years. A unique and historic class.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-08-17 05:11 PM - Post#225677    
    In response to Bruno

Great post, Bruno! Glad to see Spieth First Team All Ivy, I think Blackmon could have reasonably been HM.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.354 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 AM