Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Pep Band        (Topic#20090)
mcapodee 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-29-06
03-08-17 09:08 AM - Post#225522    

I don't know if anyone else on the board would have a strong opinion on this, but as a Pep Band alumnus that dealt with the fallout of us not having a band in OKC, this is slightly troubling to me.

The current Pep Band has been playing men's and women's games all year, and to my understanding from a fellow alum that is still somewhat involved with the band, turnout has been pretty equal to support both teams. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but for some reason the band wasn't able to pull together enough numbers to play the women's QF game against Loyola. As a result, the Athletics Department has decided to bar the student musician from playing tonight's game, as well as the women's games on the weekend, and any NCAA/NIT games.

I find it very disappointing that the band wasn't able to turn out on Monday, but the Pep Band is always among the most ardent supporters of Bucknell athletics. I've watched enough games on PLTV/CBSSN this year to know that the Pep Band is typically a significant portion of the students that show up.

Athletics is now being extremely punitive to a group that has showed up all year to support the teams, and is trying to contract third party bands to play the remaining PL tourney games and any NCAA/NIT games.

In 2005, it was a cute story about a Cinderella school that beat Kansas after not even expecting to make the tournament so there wasn't enough time to get the band to OKC. In 2017, our athletics department is punishing a core group of student supporters, which judging by the sea of empty blue bleachers in the north end of Sojka, they really aren't in the position to do.

BeckyBison91 
Freshman

Reg: 05-03-11
Re: Pep Band
03-08-17 09:28 AM - Post#225524    
    In response to mcapodee

My understanding from a current pep band member is that Athletics dictates when the band can play during a game (think contests, cheerleaders, etc.) and because they can rarely play, the members don't often have "buy in" to go to the games. Additionally, for those who bring large instruments, their assigned storage space for those is over near the football field; making a student (with an instrument in storage) have to be extremely dedicated to walk what is likely clear across campus, pick up a drum, walk back to Sojka, and then back again after the game, etc. and often in inclement weather. He said that even if athletics would give them a storage closet in Davis or the Klarc or Sojka, it would help.

I realize this is only one side of the story but that's what I've heard from the student side. I wish that they would have support from athletics or the music department, but they seem to be their own entity without anyone advocating for them and without much guidance or support or backing.
BeckyBison91

mcapodee 
Sophomore

03-08-17 09:39 AM - Post#225527    
    In response to BeckyBison91

We were trying to get a closet at the athletic center during my entire tenure as well. I never understood the weird urinating contest between the Athletics and Music departments over the pep band.

We all just wanted to make fun of Tim Clifford and play 'Ray Bucknell.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-08-17 09:58 AM - Post#225531    
    In response to mcapodee

I've been at just about every home game, men & women. The band has played at very few and then had only 6-7 members. I don't know about the internal politics, but it's an embarrassment that Bucknell can't sustain a viable pep band.

mcapodee 
Sophomore

03-08-17 10:09 AM - Post#225535    
    In response to jkrun80

That is disappointing. The person I was talking with made it sound like the band support was stronger and more regular throughout the year.

I don't get the general student apathy around what have been two pretty fun teams to watch.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-08-17 10:49 AM - Post#225551    
    In response to mcapodee

Personally, I love having a pep band at games. It adds to the overall atmosphere.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-08-17 11:03 AM - Post#225559    
    In response to Bison89

Specifically in regard to tonight's game---a nationally televised championship on our home court--the university's decision is absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment.

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
03-08-17 11:51 AM - Post#225570    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

So when I went to Bucknell I was involved in the Athletic Department and specifically the game operations for Basketball. I know that there was a lot of frustration internally with the band. They played when they weren't slotted too, playing over music in the gym. They played past the restart whistle of the game, something they were told multiple times not to do. Overall the size of the band when I was there (graduated in 2010) was not large and really wasn't emphatic enough to really add to the atmosphere if I'm being brutally honest. So it doesn't bother me too much frankly.

mcapodee 
Sophomore

03-08-17 12:15 PM - Post#225575    
    In response to crd012

I graduated '08, but I remember we tried to be good at following the game script about when to play. We usually put up the the fist to the end the song at the 10 second warning buzzer and cut at the end of a phrase so we didn't interfere with the game. Maybe things changed in the two years after I left? Other than being annoyed we couldn't play the "Hey Song" because students yelled "you suck" and not having an instrument storage closet downhill, I don't remember any actual disputes.

Obviously, the band can't do anything that interferes with the game and sponsorship messages, but it's part of the college basketball atmosphere.

It'll just be really embarrassing when we have hired musicians (assuming we find them short notice) if Lehigh brings up their obnoxious band tonight.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
03-08-17 12:37 PM - Post#225585    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Specifically in regard to tonight's game---a nationally televised championship on our home court--the university's decision is absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment.

BRW, go gettem!!!

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-08-17 01:45 PM - Post#225603    
    In response to Bison89

I've been at every joke game except one and I can say I recall the pep band being at relatively few games, and I believe they were just recently. I also like having the pep band play as it is a positive rocthw game atmosphere.

Another thing I miss is live versions of the national anthem. I cannot recall a single time this year where it was performed live. I enjoyed the student singers as well as the saxophone guy. Just made it more special, I thought. It also would be cool if they dimmed the lights for the player introductions. I suppose this is more for the regular season, as for the tourney they do one starter at a fine from each team. I just remember in the Charles Lee years the lights going down and spot lights on when announcing the Bucknell players. It was a cool atmosphere. Now, they play the video on the video board with the lights on and it just seems weak. I say dim the lights, play the video, add some dramatic music and announce the players with a spot following each player. Build the excitement!

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
03-08-17 01:48 PM - Post#225604    
    In response to MrPhillie

So when I was working for the athletic department I pretty much begged for them to dim the lights for the player announcements. Unfortunately it's not possible because the lights that we have in the gym take too long to warm back up, to turn them on and off. There is no dimming of the bright lights for the pavillion, only on and off and the recovery time is too long.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-08-17 01:49 PM - Post#225605    
    In response to crd012

That's a bummer...seems like the older lights were better!

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
03-08-17 02:14 PM - Post#225609    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
That's a bummer...seems like the older lights were better!

It might have something to do with being more energy efficient.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
03-08-17 02:15 PM - Post#225610    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Another thing I miss is live versions of the national anthem. I cannot recall a single time this year where it was performed live. I enjoyed the student singers as well as the saxophone guy. Just made it more special, I thought.

The last person I heard sing the national anthem at Bucknell was at a football game in the middle of the season. I think she was a student and before she started singing she gave a 2 minute political speech and when her speech was over she sang the slowest national anthem I can remember hearing. Since then, all the the national anthems at Bucknell have been the recording I'm pretty sure.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-08-17 02:46 PM - Post#225621    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

Yes I can see that the newer efficient bulbs are like that...we recently built a house and the lights had to be energy efficient and even those take time to reach full brightness. As for the anthem, that's a shame that one bad experience totally changed how it is handled. The recording is canned, generic and sterile...just lacks warmth.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-08-17 03:43 PM - Post#225634    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Yes I can see that the newer efficient bulbs are like that...we recently built a house and the lights had to be energy efficient and even those take time to reach full brightness. As for the anthem, that's a shame that one bad experience totally changed how it is handled. The recording is canned, generic and sterile...just lacks warmth.

Finally something I'm actually knowledgeable about. The game lights are still the original metal-halide lamps and do have a long warm up time. The practice lights were replaced with LED lamps last year and are fully dimable and instant on. Unfortunately, it's hard to justify replacing the game lights when they are only used 100 or so hours per year.

http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_O...

As for the anthem, I can understand not inviting that particular student back but why discontinue the live anthem. They did have a local high school chorus sing at one game. I'm sure there is other local talent they can seek out.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
Pep Band
03-09-17 07:44 AM - Post#225835    
    In response to jkrun80

They did have a live group sing the anthem last night. Great. We should restore the practice. Too bad one rebel spoiled most of the year. And the pep band was there last night and did great. Don't know how it was organized to do it, but thanks. It was a throwback night with the student attendance and participation. Finally. Let's hope that the turnout Friday for the women is enthusiastic, too!

var126 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 03-09-17
Re: Pep Band
03-09-17 10:10 AM - Post#225848    
    In response to Bison54

Beyond Unison, a campus acapella group, sang the national anthem. My understanding is that local high schools supplied the pep band players.

I thought the student cheering section did a good job last night given that they hadn't practiced ALL SEASON.

Edited by var126 on 03-09-17 10:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-09-17 11:15 AM - Post#225865    
    In response to mcapodee

I know several members of past year's pep band and all mentioned issues balancing playing/rehearsal and testing. Appears many games right before finals. Without more support from administration and fans, I don't blame many for voting for their grades. Band is nice bonus but more focused on team.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.178 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:49 AM