Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Petrasek        (Topic#20094)
randal7 
Freshman

Reg: 12-31-13
03-08-17 02:45 PM - Post#225619    

It's odd to me that there has been no thread marking the end of Luke Petrasek's career at Columbia.

In the UPENN game, Luke surpassed the 1,000 point mark in his career. He was a highly cerebral player with a great all-around game (defense, passing, scoring -- AND in that order!).

Luke played increasingly conservatively as his career progressed, acclimating to the Ivy pace and tenor of play. As a freshman, he dunked the ball much more frequently and also swatted more shots. As he got older, he became a key cog in "the system". This year, he was the floor general when out there, consistently getting guidance from Engles while in the game.

I think the upside for Luke is extraordinarily high. At the very least, he can play competitively in Europe, and it would not shock me if he played in the NBA one day. Tall shooters like Vladimir Radmanovich, Raef Lafrentz, and Keith Van Horn all had nice careers (not to mention Toni Kukoc, Dirk Nowitzki, and some of the elite big men with a shot).

I think we should celebrate Luke's career -- he was really a core part of some lovely basketball and great teams. His games against St Johns, Yale (at home in 2017) K-state, UC-Irvine and Manhattan (2015-2016) all stand out as high-impact performances.

Thanks Luke for the dedication and great play

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
03-09-17 10:19 AM - Post#225849    
    In response to randal7

We'd definitely be a lot worse off without him this year. He held us up at many important times and will leave big (pun intended) shoes to fill. I think he has great potential as a long wing who can shoot. If he bulks up and improves his inside game and interior defense he could do well at the pro level as well. I appreciate all his contributions and wish him the best, he still has serious potential.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
04-24-17 11:06 AM - Post#228885    
    In response to Columbia Alum

3rd team all-Met
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
04-24-17 01:53 PM - Post#228891    
    In response to internetter

I think the issue with Luke goes back to his breakout game as a freshman, against St. John's, when he went off for over 20 and was basically unstoppable. His potential seemed limitless at that time. And while he was a very good player for us this year, he had a few games where he was invisible. But more fundamentally, he has the talent to be a repeat first team all Ivy and senior year POY but never reached his potential. Compare him to a guy like Weiss, who had much less talent but willed himself into becoming an outstanding player. I don't know if Luke just wasn't hungry enough, or if he lacked the strength to play inside more, or if something else was holding him back, but he never quite became what I thought he could be, a dominant one man game changer.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

04-24-17 01:53 PM - Post#228892    
    In response to Chet Forte

Meant Weisz. As in Spencer.

randal7 
Freshman

05-07-17 07:35 AM - Post#229116    
    In response to Chet Forte

Coaching held him back. Smith was a highly conservative coach from a schematics perspective. Combine that with an emphasis on riding his three horsemen (mullins, Lo, and Rosenberg) and there just weren't enough shots to go around.

Luke cane to Columbia as one of these 5 tools players who played the game with rhythm and artistry. You can't bottle that up and force it to play in a defined system and expect that it won't negatively impact the players approach to the game. Smith steadily and consistently made Luke a more conservative basketball player because that's what Smith was used to doing. Luke and Smith also had a strained relationship. Alot of players had a big time strained relationship with Smith. He was not by any stretch a beloved coach.

This season things really opened up for Luke and he played with some of those old basketball animal spirits because the coach allowed it to happen. If the coaching change happens earlier then Luke is a multiple year all ivy player

internetter 
Postdoc

05-07-17 02:53 PM - Post#229127    
    In response to randal7

Luke far too few shots, especially in Ivy games. He seemed content to stay along the sidelines.

west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

05-08-17 03:40 PM - Post#229141    

The only time I actually saw Smith go off on a player was when Kyle Castlin was a freshman. As I recall he was one on one and forced up a difficult shot which he missed. Smith jammed him out of the game and was screaming at him for what seemed like an eternity. I thought that Smith generally had Castlin in his doghouse thereafter.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
05-08-17 11:23 PM - Post#229155    
    In response to randal7

Did things really open up for Petrasek under Engles, though? Yes, his totals went up, but that was entirely a function of playing more minutes. His ORAT and WS/40 went down from his junior year, mainly because his Fg% dropped, particularly from 3. There is a pretty good argument that he wasn't as good as a senior as he was as a junior. That's not to say that he had a bad year or anything like that -- he was a deserving All-Ivy performer. I'm just not sure the numbers support that Engles was a better coach for him than Smith.

internetter 
Postdoc

05-26-17 05:45 PM - Post#229702    
    In response to SomeGuy

Luke may have a tryout with Sacramento, perhaps next week.
west coast fan

randal7 
Freshman

06-15-17 11:00 AM - Post#230111    

Luke has had tryouts with Sacramento, NY and Brooklyn thus far, with more to come. At minimum, in my opinion, he's going to be playing summer ball.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
07-29-17 05:39 PM - Post#231404    
    In response to randal7

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/nor thport...

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
07-13-18 08:15 AM - Post#258784    
    In response to hoopsfan

Luke Petrasek is playing for the Charlotte Hornet's Summer League team in Las Vegas. He spent the year with the Hornet's G League affiliate, the Greensboro Swarm.

With the Swarm, he played in 50 games (starting 29). He averaged 6.4 points and 4.6 rebounds. In Vegas, he has played in 2 games, averaging 3.0 points, 1.0 rebound and 9.5 minutes a game.

https://gocolumbialions.com/news/2018/7/5/mens-ba s...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.173 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:08 AM