Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 9 of 9 « First<6789
Username Post: Men vs. Princeton        (Topic#20124)
besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
03-17-17 02:23 PM - Post#227480    
    In response to palestra38

One tendency we saw Donahue break this year--as the team tried to climb back from its 0-6 start--was the tendency to go 10-deep. If Simmons is as advertised, (mrjames puts him in the deep 2nd tier of Ivy recruiting), I suspect the tendency to only play one big will also be broken, whether it's philosophy or not.

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-17-17 02:24 PM - Post#227481    

I was thinking Betley is a 2. I think of Eddie Scott as a potential 3. I like having more size out there as opposed to some of the undersized squads we have been running out there.

Who is the 2 in your scenario?

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
Re: Men vs. Princeton
03-17-17 02:29 PM - Post#227483    

I love Betley's game, but 6-8 boards a game??

I bet we have not had anyone but maybe DNH average 8 a game this century. I'm sure Ugonna, Zoller, etc never did.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-17-17 03:28 PM - Post#227493    

I think the conditions for AJ and Max (or Simmons) on the floor together are:

1) They move and cut in ways that give each other space on offense when needed.

2) They pass (or dribble) the ball sufficiently well that having two bigs doesn't slow down the overall ball movement.

3) They shoot well enough that the holes created (often mid-range) by mismatches of 2 big men can be exploited.

4) They defend sufficiently when opponents go small.

When I look at these, I think Simmons gives a better hope of us starting 2 big men. Particularly with #4.

I was impressed with Max this year. It appeared that AJ has had a positive impact in that Max was far more active in positioning and movement this year. They can play together if the team's strategies help with #1, but I'm not sure I see them pairing really well in terms of #2-4.

Also, don't forget about Eddie Scott. He is a hybrid solution. He seems pretty well suited to be our 3/4. He's quick, strong and has length. Even though Simmons has big upside, Scott may be a turnkey roster fit. He might fit #1, 2, and 4. He'll be a perfect fit if he addresses #3 as a shooter. I also have some hope for Hamilton in this role.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Men vs. Princeton
03-17-17 03:41 PM - Post#227494    
    In response to QHoops

• QHoops Said:
I love Betley's game, but 6-8 boards a game??

I bet we have not had anyone but maybe DNH average 8 a game this century. I'm sure Ugonna, Zoller, etc never did.

Not for nothing, but Betley averaged 4.8 RPG this season in 28 MPG. 6-8 might be a stretch, but 6-7 isn't implausible. The kid seems to have a nose for the ball and a high bball IQ, and is surprisingly athletic. In retrospect, he may have been underrated as a recruit.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-17 03:54 PM - Post#227496    
    In response to QHoops

In keeping with my Betley-Begley theme, I see Betley as more of a 2-3 with Woods/Foreman at the point and Goodman/JD at the 2. Some combination of Simmons/Hamilton/Jones at the 3-4 with Max and AJ at the 5. That assumes no Jackson. If he can break into the rotation, that changes the projections quite a bit. Silpe would have to beat Foreman out to get minutes if he stays. I wouldn't completely count out MacDonald. He becomes insurance against injuries given his versatility.

I know we all want SD to go 8-deep, but I bet we do not see that until the Ivy schedule kicks in, and then it might be 9.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
03-17-17 04:00 PM - Post#227500    
    In response to Streamers

The way the game's being played nowadays, the line between 2 and 3 and the line between 3 and 4 have both been blurred almost out of existance. And even the line between 2 and 4 is looking pretty fuzzy. So I don't think we should be getting too hung up on these positional distinctions.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-17 04:51 PM - Post#227506    
    In response to Silver Maple

Agreed, but slotting into positions is a good way of assessing who's getting the minutes next year.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-17-17 08:45 PM - Post#227513    
    In response to Streamers

I wouldn't count McDonald out either. The last couple of games, when Howard was off the floor (which isn't much), it was often Betley, MacDonald, a big, and two small guards. MacDonald seemed to have moved back ahead of Hamilton and Jones. I think all 3 will be in the mix, as will Max and the freshmen. My least favorite option, but still possible, is that Donahue plays stretches with 3 out of Froeman, Woods, Donahue, and Goodman on the floor. Lots of ways to go. I'm certain Brodeur and Betley will start and play big minutes. After that, there are lots of possibilities.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-17-17 08:50 PM - Post#227514    
    In response to Streamers

You know, I don't really see the Begley comparison. Names, heights, and 3 pt shooting are similar. But Betley is more athletic, a better rebounder, longer, and better off the bounce (at least compared to freshman Begley). Begley passed better. I don't think Begely could get into the lane and elevate for that little floater the way Betley can.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-17-17 08:55 PM - Post#227516    
    In response to Streamers

As for the position distinctions, at least this year Jones appeared to play the 2 spot (Doanue's) most of the time. Betley was playing something closer to Howard's position. He does more 4ish things than Jones, if one of them will play there. Betley also guarded more bigs, it appeared, while Jones was usually on a guard. As others have mentioned, it doesn't matter that much these days. 2-4 May look pretty similar for Penn

Page 9 of 9 « First<6789
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.436 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:58 AM