Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Username Post: Tigers get #12 seed, to play Notre Dame        (Topic#20132)
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
03-13-17 06:34 AM - Post#226689    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Colson is fantastic but he's 6-5. Our guys have a chance to figure something out.

I looked at some recent highlight videos of Colson. He's an absolute beast. He has an inside/outside game, over 7 foot wingspan, and tremendous upper body strength. Looks like he should be in the NBA next year.

I don't think even Stephens matches up well with him.

Also, the new Princeton offense of exploiting matchups, rather than a system, becomes problematic if there are no matchups to exploit.

The team has its work cut out for it. Which is of course, all they wanted.

Coloradotiger 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-13
03-13-17 07:11 AM - Post#226694    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
Also, the new Princeton offense of exploiting matchups, rather than a system, becomes problematic if there are no matchups to exploit.

Because of this, I wonder if we will see more of the "system" than we have previously this year.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-13-17 08:22 AM - Post#226697    
    In response to Coloradotiger

Question, not a claim - I would have thought it's very difficult to alter style of play in just a few days.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
03-13-17 08:37 AM - Post#226700    
    In response to sparman

Having watched a lot of ACC this season I don't see ND being particularly susceptible to heavy system. They are disciplined. They don't turn the ball over. They hit FTs. They mix up defenses. They don't make dumb fouls.

But all else being equal I like this Tiger team in this matchup better than I would a more system-focused team.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-13-17 10:10 AM - Post#226714    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

There are reasons why several analysts have ND going to the Final Four including the coach, Colson, 79% FT shooting etc.

After finally watching this weekends' games on replay, the Tigers need to execute much much better offensively to beat ND than this past weekend. They played tight plus Penn and Yale was obviously familiar with the Tiger's offense. Fortunately, their defense dug in at critical moments with few exceptions.

Stephens has the athleticism and fortitude to compete and playing against Colson will be the ultimate test. Let's see how good he is plus Cook is another alternative.

Yesterday, Weisz finally came alive with his passing early in the second half with really good set up passes for 3 pointers by Cook, Stephens and Cannady. He had a wide open 3 pt shot with a 3 pt lead and then held the ball to pass to Cook in the corner for a wide open 3 -- key point in the game. His passing and their shooting broke open the game. Weisz did have a tough weekend.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-13-17 10:16 AM - Post#226715    
    In response to Bruno

Aside from Colson, who is all that, the rest of the top 7 is no more athletic than Yale is. The decision will likely be do you let Colson get his, try to get him in foul trouble, and shut down everyone else. Bray is an excellent coach who will make sure they are ready and will make defensive adjustments in-game of the sort that frustrated Duke the other night. Hitting a bunch of those baseline 3's will help a lot.

It should be fun to watch.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-13-17 10:47 AM - Post#226727    
    In response to Streamers

Having read some of the "reactions" of ND fans to Its seeding and opponents (they are at best dismissive of opponents to Final 4, or completely overlook them), I'm hoping that the ND players become infected with hubris. Unfortunately, as we see on these boards, the players appear to be a lot smarter than some of their fans (self included)

Go ND! Good luck in the Final Four!

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-13-17 10:51 AM - Post#226729    
    In response to Streamers

Looking at a few minutes of ND's extended highlights against Duke, can't feel too great about the matchup. They have undersized bigs but conversely they don't look they would be too uncomfortable chasing Princeton around the perimeter. They have 3 guys who are good 3pt shooters who look like they key off Colson. Tempted to rotate the bigs on Colson, keep the key guys out of foul trouble and stay at home on the 3 point shooters. On offense, as mentioned those natural mismatches don't look to be there - our mids posting up small guards or driving past bigs.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
03-13-17 10:58 AM - Post#226733    
    In response to Coloradotiger

• Coloradotiger Said:
because of this, I wonder if we will see more of the "system" than we have previously this year.

I kinda wondered this myself. Of course as Sparman notes, hard to change this late, but one wonders if in an atavistic sense, our guys all know "the system" a bit. Late in games when ahead I see them go to 5 guys above the foul line and weave.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-13-17 12:32 PM - Post#226750    
    In response to umbrellaman

As the Tigers evolved during the course of the season, more players are involved in defensive rebounding. Cannady and Bell were significant contributors over the weekend on the defensive boards. Everyone of the 7 players who get minutes now rebound which helps to offset the loss of Brase in case Mitch needed two bigs on the floor at the same time in the tournament. One issue on defensive rebounding has been the long rebound although Cook had a key one on Sunday when Dallier fouled him on a possible breakaway.

Yale had Sears, Sherrod and Downey and it really helped them against the big boys.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-13-17 01:53 PM - Post#226763    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Having read some of the "reactions" of ND fans to Its seeding and opponents (they are at best dismissive of opponents to Final 4, or completely overlook them), I'm hoping that the ND players become infected with hubris. Unfortunately, as we see on these boards, the players appear to be a lot smarter than some of their fans (self included)

Friends who were covering Harvard in 2013 like to tell the story of how the New Mexico players didn't seem to know anything about the Crimson during media day before the game. That became clear when they kept leaving Laurent Rivard wide open for threes somehow.

They asked the same questions to Arizona the next day, and right away Solomon Hill starts going through Harvard's entire rotation, rattling off everyone's stats, strengths, plays, etc. That's when they knew Harvard was screwed in the second round.

It depends on the team, I guess is the point.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-13-17 02:29 PM - Post#226768    
    In response to whitakk

Yeah, this will not be a "smart take from the strong" game. ND seems a fairly heady team. But it could be a game where getting the 50-50 balls and boxing out are key. Irish seem to have a knack for coming up with those in the clutch but so can Princeton. The Tigers will need to play physically.

I would like to see Miller get some minutes out there because he can guard pretty far out if he has to and get back to bother a layup attempt if his man turns the corner. As for mismatches, they give up dribble penetration and I see no reason why the Tigers won't be fine driving, other than possible big-school officiating bias. This is not a great defensive team, but they have tons of big-game experience, probably won't commit dumb fouls, etc. I don't think they'll be able to prevent open outside looks from the whole array of Princeton shooters, but they will be able to pick their poison, which I think means Weisz may need to recover his form.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
03-13-17 02:45 PM - Post#226775    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
Weisz may need to recover his form.

Please please please.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-13-17 04:03 PM - Post#226802    
    In response to whitakk

• whitakk Said:

Friends who were covering Harvard in 2013 like to tell the story of how the New Mexico players didn't seem to know anything about the Crimson during media day before the game ... It depends on the team, I guess is the point.

It depends on the coach. Steve Alford's a m0ron.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-13-17 06:33 PM - Post#226836    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Here's another difference between Ivies and the powers: Princeton players prepping for mid-terms while Nova, WV, Va Tech traveling today to Buffalo. Princeton heading straight into the storm tomorrow.

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/w inter-s...

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-13-17 06:45 PM - Post#226837    
    In response to TigerFan

It's really more about Princeton's particular academic calendar, which schedules its midterms this week and does not have its break until later.

Most other schools, including other Ivy schools, either already had their break or are currently on it.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-13-17 07:02 PM - Post#226838    
    In response to penn nation

Just for completeness, with all pre-tournament games completed, Princeton is now 59th on KenPom overall, 85th on offense and 46th on defense. Notre Dame is 25th overall, 16th on offense and 58th on defense. His model gives the Tigers a 31.3% chance of winning the game (and a 7.7% chance of making the Sweet Sixteen).

But at the beginning of the season I mentioned my fan fantasy of going undefeated all the way to the national championship. After some OOC stumbles, it started to come into focus with 19 straight wins. What's a mere six more, even if there's only a .02% chance according to KenPom? Never tell me the odds!

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
03-13-17 07:57 PM - Post#226857    
    In response to TigerFan

Princeton decided to leave on Monday also. They will arrive in Buffalo tonight - https://twitter.com/Princeton_Hoops/statu s/8414300...

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-13-17 08:22 PM - Post#226860    
    In response to westcoast

Nothing like getting early to Buffalo in winter. Tigers earned that?

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-13-17 08:36 PM - Post#226864    
    In response to Old Bear

One assessment of the odds:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/?nid=menu_na...

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:25 AM