Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Tigers get #12 seed, to play Notre Dame        (Topic#20132)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-13-17 09:13 PM - Post#226869    
    In response to westcoast

Smart to get there early and avoid any risk regarding travel and the weather. It was interesting to watch the highlights of the Yale game on GoPrincetonTigers.com. It showed some of the key passes that Weisz made in the 2nd half and hopefully, he can make those unusual cross court line drive overhead passes to open 3 pt shooters. I doubt that ND has seen a bunch of those type passes even in the ACC.

It has been interesting to watch Weisz sharing the leadership role with Cook more and more during the course of the season. They bring two different styles of play and leadership to the table, cerebal vs. phyical/intense. One only has to see Cook at the end of regulation and OT against Penn to witness his intensity. They are clearly joined at the hip.

You never know if the team will play well and particularly shoot well but I do see them being mentally strong with no quit at all in them if they get off to a slow start. I believe/hope that they will do a good job in representing the league but time will tell.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-13-17 10:36 PM - Post#226879    
    In response to bradley

It's been 6 years since our last NCAA appearance, so I choose to be bullish on our chances.

Stephens leading the charge this past weekend was a big deal to me. It solidified his status as the go-to guy when our offense grinds to a halt. Against marquee opponents, long scoring droughts are par for the course and we inevitably come up a bit short. But now we have a go-to scorer to keep us in the game when the 3s stop falling.

Take care of the ball. Defend the 3pt line (close out or run them off). And let Stephens go to work in the paint (especially post-ups).

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-13-17 10:46 PM - Post#226880    
    In response to penn nation

Students in the Ivy League usually have to midterms and papers immediately before spring break. Word last weekend was that some Harvard players persevered through all nighters the days before the tournament due to exam/paper right before spring break - and the tournament. Looks like Yale had a similar schedule. Penn had the week off and as noted Princeton is now heading into their pre-spring break exam and paper period.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-14-17 08:17 AM - Post#226896    
    In response to gokinsmen

Henderson, Princeton and IL are getting coverage as a result of their winning streak. Stephens has a lot to do with their results. Hard to believe that at 6'4", he plays so much taller due to his jumping ability, motor and inside/out skill set. It is not like he has a super long wing span. Henderson and his Princeton system also has a lot to do with the results.

Henderson is going to get targeted after the Tiger's final game this season. He has grown into the job over time with some hiccups along the way but Princeton should do their very best to keep him. There will be a learning curve for the next coach. I believe that any success in the NCAA Tournament will increase the odds that he will be leaving but that is for another day.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-17 09:30 AM - Post#226903    
    In response to bradley

Myles is indeed a force of nature and it is amazing how much he has grown this year with a very confident 3-point shot, the knack for consistently getting to the rim off the dribble and an array of post-up moves. None of that was evident last year when he was mainly known for his defensive impact and ability to convert put-backs when Caruso, Cook and Weisz missed.

I agree with much of the ND pre-game commentary: the Tigers' success will likely hinge on their 3-point accuracy, which was MIA over the weekend until the second half of the Yale game. If Princeton can't force ND to extend their D then I don't think our O will be good enough to upset the ACC runners-up. Will Gladson might be an unexpected x-factor: he knocked down a few shots in the Crapshoot at the Palestra and if he can force the ND center to the perimeter that would open up the court for Princeton.

As for Mitch, I really hope he stays but he may get some interest. There is definitely more $$ available to him elsewhere, although the experience of Sydney Johnson shows that the grass is not always greener when it comes to recruiting and winning (and job security).

I am thrilled for Coach H and the seniors, what a fun way to end their hoops careers at Princeton. I am confident that they will play with great intensity and poise on Thursday. Penn liked to say they were "playing with house money" at the Crapshoot, I hope the Tigers also play loose and have fun at the Big Dance.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-14-17 11:17 AM - Post#226931    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Princeton should do their very best to keep him.

People said the same thing about Carmody, JTIII, and Johnson.

Is there any reason why Princeton should make greater efforts to keep Henderson than they did some of his predecessors?

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-14-17 12:12 PM - Post#226945    
    In response to Go Green

And yet we still see the IL trot out the patently absurd excuse of exams as justification for not participating in football playoffs.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-14-17 12:43 PM - Post#226949    
    In response to Go Green

I hope the administration understands that there are implications of not providing competitive salaries: 7-year NCAA drought after JTIII left and 6-year drought after SJ left. Those droughts are no more palatable at Princeton than the... hmmn, not sure I can count that high.. drought at Penn.

Carmody jumping to Big Ten Northwestern after a very long and successful run here and JTIII heading off to GTown to take his legendary father's old gig were pretty easy to understand. But losing SJ to a rather mediocre mid-major in Fairfield after only four years here really stung.

Dial Lodge 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-08-07
Tigers get #12 seed, to play Notre Dame
03-14-17 12:48 PM - Post#226951    
    In response to sparman

"Students in the Ivy League usually have to midterms and papers immediately before spring break. Word last weekend was that some Harvard players persevered through all nighters the days before the tournament due to exam/paper right before spring break - and the tournament. Looks like Yale had a similar schedule. Penn had the week off and as noted Princeton is now heading into their pre-spring break exam and paper period."

Just another reason not to have a tournament at the end of the season a day after mid-term exams (yes, I've always been anti-tournament, and would be even if Princeton was fourth in the league).

For comparison, I'll bet more than a few of the Power conference players aren't concentrating or even thinking about studying or exams around now.

In The Blind Side, Michael Lewis '82 wrote that some of the Mississippi players would simply pack up and leave school after the final football game of their senior year. No chance of graduating, so why stay?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-14-17 12:54 PM - Post#226953    
    In response to TigerFan

There is also the fact of Earl going to Cornell making a replacement look dicier than before, plus MH's recent recruiting successes in a league where that's becoming a lot more competitive. A transition now would be high-risk even more than when Johnson took off.

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
03-14-17 01:05 PM - Post#226960    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Don't know if his form is going to matter? He's going to get eaten alive on defense and will have trouble getting his shot off in traffic? Colson will be a handful and if the ND guards are hot that'll be all she wrote?

SRP 
Postdoc

03-14-17 01:27 PM - Post#226963    
    In response to joe nassau

I see that Jonah Bronstein of the Sports Xchange is picking Princeton for the upset. His rationale is thin, basically that ND is worn out after its ACC tourney run. But I did learn that Cannady has played summer pickup games with and against the ND players and he professes familiarity with them and their coaching staff.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-14-17 01:47 PM - Post#226968    
    In response to TigerFan

I would not be surprised if Mitch gets an offer to coach at a significantly higher level school than Sydney but not to JT or Carmody level.

What he brings to the table is an updated version of the Princeton offense with a track record of success. I suspect that he will interview well. Perfect fit is a good academic school that does not go the one and done route. Hopefully, he goes nowhere.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-14-17 01:51 PM - Post#226969    
    In response to TigerFan

Not just football and basketball, either:

Coach salaries escalating across the board

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-14-17 02:41 PM - Post#226985    
    In response to sparman

Princeton has plenty to offer the right match. But, if $ is the sole deciding factor, candidates need not apply. We shouldn't get into bidding wars.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-14-17 04:44 PM - Post#227004    
    In response to joe nassau

• joe nassau Said:
Don't know if his form is going to matter? He's going to get eaten alive on defense and will have trouble getting his shot off in traffic? Colson will be a handful and if the ND guards are hot that'll be all she wrote?

He certainly had trouble defending in the tournament, resulting in his high foul rate.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-14-17 07:04 PM - Post#227027    
    In response to SRP

I agree with you that Miller should get some minutes although ND does not have the size of some of the other NCAA teams. He may get some additional minutes if, big if, they get by ND.

There are a couple things about Miller -- some more important than others. Most importantly, I believe that he allows the least amount of points per minute playing head to head than any other IL Center. Very few centers score on him due to his positioning, wing span and misunderstood strength. He is very good at jumping out and disrupting the opposition's guards due to his wing span and aggressiveness. He is not as good on giving help defense at the rim. Less importantly, he is deadly on jump balls which helped in the Penn OT game -- over the past 2 years, he has probably won 90% of the opening taps -- IL and non-conference combined.

His obvious weakness is that he has little to no instincts on offense and he is way to passive when he gets the ball near the basket. Hopefully, he gets a chance to showcase his defensive skills in the tournament.

I remember B. Connolly against Kentucky and he played very good defense against their bigs.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-14-17 08:01 PM - Post#227029    
    In response to bradley

I am a big Miller fan, for all the reasons you have described so well. And I was very pleasantly surprised by Brendan Connolly in the last tournament appearance. If only Kareem Maddox had used his left hand to try to block that last shot instead of reaching across with his right hand. But I digress.....

In my fantasy win over Notre Dame, a tight game is broken wide open when Gladson comes in and makes three 3-pointers in a row.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-14-17 10:08 PM - Post#227036    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

The thing people don't seem to realize about Miller is that he's a mobile, quick-footed athletic guy. He has not quite the strength at holding his ground of somebody like Connolly, but he's still pretty tough and can move around a post man to reach in on the entry pass, as well as zip around the court on hedges and recoveries. (Good point about his jump ball prowess, too.)

I feel that his offensive confidence has been stifled by all the better scoring options he knows he has surrounding him. After the first minute, only in the most desperate circumstances does it seem reasonable to him to use a possession offensively. It's hard to be fluid when you play with that mindset. If you stuck him on some of the other teams in the league he probably would have scored a lot more and developed his offensive game more.

But he still shows tantalizing flashes of ability, like that perfect trey he dropped in in the tourney, his improved FT shooting, and a couple of fast moves down the lane. Plus he is a good passer, usually good for an inside assist or two if he gets extended minutes.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-14-17 10:44 PM - Post#227038    
    In response to SRP

Miller: Quiet, dependable, hard-working, complete team player. Fine Tiger

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.299 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:47 AM