Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Women's Game        (Topic#20164)
penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-18-17 11:21 PM - Post#227656    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • Chip Bayers Said:
The reversal of that out-of-bounds call was the most hilarious example of poor officiating you could ever see.

Don't tell that to Chris Collins.

You beat me to it..The NCAA already said those officials messed up.

penn nation 
Professor

03-18-17 11:24 PM - Post#227657    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
7 turnovers in the final 8 minutes.

At times down the stretch I was thinking about that Northern Iowa NCAA game where they just couldn't get the ball in without turning it over. At some point you have to switch it up by maybe running the baseline, or having a second person also behind the baseline--something to take A&M out of its defensive groove by changing it up.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-19-17 12:01 AM - Post#227659    

In fairness, part of the reason we were ahead so much is that A&M shot absolutely horribly for the first 3 quarters by their standards, and while we had something to do with that, they also just missed a bunch of outright open shots. In normal circumstances, we'd have been up 5 or 6 at the end of the third and they would have roared by us with five or so to go. Nevertheless, when you're up by 21 with 12 or 13 to go or whatever it was, you've got to get the job done, and I don't care what the refs did. One thing is that when Hillsman got two fouls early, they should have started attacking her more; she was keeping the Aggies in it early on, and by having Nwokedi and Stip and Ross go to the hole more, they could have either given her more fouls and gotten her out of the game, or else got some easier buckets if she held back on D to avoid fouls.
Again, overall, I'm glad that McLaughlin was willing to take the chance on Chambers, because she has really stabilized the backcourt the last couple of years, she's allowed Ross to move to the 2 where she improved mightily (this, probably more than anything, got them over the hump last year), and she's been a great leader and provided a lot of energy. However, against higher level competition, she has just not been good enough, and the backcourt in general has not responded like they needed to. Again, in the last few minutes of that game, you could just see them freezing up, and not being able to create any opportunities for themselves, as has happened too many times in the past few years against teams like this. Obviously, they've got the defense down pat now; if they want to get to the next level, they've got to start taking up the offense a notch. While they don't literally play the old-style Princeton offense (this game, I wish they did; they would probably have gotten a couple more back doors and won this thing), they take the same approach, which is slow the game down, limit the opportunities for both teams, and hope that you get luckier than they do. As we found with the men all those years, that only works every once in a while. To really get good, you have to get to the point where you can actually take on the other teams physically, as the men's teams that have made the tournament for the Ivies the past few years have shown. The hopeful thing is that, as far as I can tell from the limited history I've been able to find about Holy Family online, McLaughin did figure out how to do that there eventually. I'm hopeful that the players he's bringing in next year will begin a new phase of evolution in the history of the program, but we'll see.

Well, in 20 minutes we went from having a huge success to show future recruits to something that may potentially be actually detrimental to the program, now that we've got the biggest choke in the history of the tournament branded all over us. I normally save the video of Penn's appearances in the tournament, win or lose, but I just can't do it with this one; it hurts too much. I'm really sorry that Sydney and Kasey had to go out this way. I have to go to bed now, since I've got church in the morning and I'm going to have enough trouble sleeping as it is, but I'll give a wrapup and look ahead to next year sometime in the next couple of days.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
03-19-17 03:58 AM - Post#227661    
    In response to dperry

Well, in person those first 3 quarters were as fun as the 4th quarter was brutal. In fact, I bet from the floor that 4th quarter was even more brutal in person. Just needed to get 1 basket in 8 mins and we win...

Ah well, still a heck of a year and still a hell of a performance for a 12 seed to even get up 21 in 4th quarter against a 5 seed. For just that reason, I definitely don't see this as something hurting recruiting at all for Penn. Yes it was a letdown for the record books, but we were supposed to lose and for 3 quarters we made an SEC team look silly. That's easily made a positive on recruiting trail.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
03-19-17 11:38 AM - Post#227678    
    In response to dperry

Well said. You have my condolences.

penn nation 
Professor

03-19-17 11:44 AM - Post#227679    

I suppose it's also worth noting that the opponent in both of these games was....you guessed it, A&M.

• penn nation Said:
  • penn nation Said:
7 turnovers in the final 8 minutes.

At times down the stretch I was thinking about that Northern Iowa NCAA game where they just couldn't get the ball in without turning it over. At some point you have to switch it up by maybe running the baseline, or having a second person also behind the baseline--something to take A&M out of its defensive groove by changing it up.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-19-17 01:59 PM - Post#227708    

What a hell of a way to end a season! My sincere sympathy to the Penn seniors. But, you had an extraordinary four years, as my Tigers would have to testify.

penn nation 
Professor

03-20-17 10:41 PM - Post#227839    
    In response to Mike Porter

So far tonight, UCLA is crushing them. They have two bigs on A&M's big and have rendered her completely useless. Kyle Korver's cousin Kari has hit five 3s in the first half, scoring as many points to date as the entire A&M team.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.47 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:14 AM