Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: New VCU Coaching Staff - tons of ties to N. Davis, Flannery, and the P.L.        (Topic#20272)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
05-17-17 03:43 PM - Post#229427    

Looking at the press release on the new staff at VCU, I was amazed at how many ties there are to Nathan Davis, Pat Flannery, Bucknell, and the Patriot League. There are at least seven, and maybe eight, who have some connection - including Donald Brown. Here are the names and tie-ins:

- Mike Rhoades (head coach) - played for Pat Flannery at Lebanon Valley; began his coaching career as an assistant at Randolph-Macon when Nathan Davis was serving as a student assistant; was the head coach at Randolph-Macon prior to Nathan Davis taking over.

- Jeremy Ballard (associate head coach) - coached with Rhoades at VCU under Shaka Smart; replaced Jamion Christian on VCU staff after Christian became head coach at MSM; (Christian, of course, started his D1 career as a Flannery assistant.) lettered at Colgate for four years under Emmett Davis; has been a true coaching nomad, holding about seven assistant jobs including at Colgate and at Tulsa under former Navy player and coach Doug Wojcik and assistant Emmett Davis.

- Donald Brown (head of strength and conditioning) - held the same job under Rhoades at Rice; also was an assistant strength and conditioning coach a few years earlier at VCU when Rhoades and Ballard were assistant coaches. . . The connection to Bucknell is obvious.

- J.T. Byers (assistant coach) - followed Rhoades from Rice; was an assistant at Randolph-Macon under Nathan Davis; was also an assistant at Radford under Mike Jones, the father of Nate Jones.

- Mike Venezia (special assistant) - played for five years at Colgate, mostly as a solid starter at SG; was a graduate assistant with Rhoades at VCU in 2014-15.

- Jimmy Martelli (DOBO) - played at University of Scranton under former Flannery assistant Karl Danzig; was an assistant coach for Rhoades at Randolph-Macon in 2006-07; his career has fizzled after following Mike Rice from Robert Morris to Rutgers and getting involved in the player abuse "scandal".

- Justin Levine ( video coordinator) - was a student manager and then a student assistant under Bill Courtney at Cornell;

- - - - -
And there is one more who might have a connection, but I don't have time to try to research it:

- Joey Rodriguez (video cordinator) - followed Rhoades from Rice; started coaching career as a HS assistant at Benedictine Prep in Richmond; may have overlapped the tenure of head coach Sean McAloon, who was an assistant at Bucknell under Flannery. McAloon is now the head coach at St. John's College High School in Washington D.C.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/r e...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Re: New VCU Coaching Staff.
05-17-17 05:13 PM - Post#229433    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Mike Venezia (special assistant)

Special assistant?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-17-17 06:31 PM - Post#229437    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Special assistant?

Actually has some made-up non-coaching title but I forgot what it was and didn't feel like looking it up.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
05-18-17 11:16 AM - Post#229465    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Special assistant?

Actually has some made-up non-coaching title but I forgot what it was and didn't feel like looking it up.

"Director of Student-Athlete Development." Equally bewildering.

RayBucknell22 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 06-05-17
06-13-17 10:10 AM - Post#230035    

It doesn't stop there, although I can't confirm, but I have heard that Dom Hoffman will be a graduate assistant at VCU for the upcoming year.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
06-13-17 12:26 PM - Post#230044    
    In response to RayBucknell22

• RayBucknell22 Said:
It doesn't stop there, although I can't confirm, but I have heard that Dom Hoffman will be a graduate assistant at VCU for the upcoming year.

Dom was a player that I always thought was underutilized at Bucknell. He had such a quick and accurate jumper from 10-15'. IMO, he could have consistently been double digit scorer.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
06-13-17 12:39 PM - Post#230045    
    In response to RayBucknell22

• RayBucknell22 Said:

His Twitter account already reflects it. Check it out, because the banner photo will give you a good chuckle.
https://twitter.com/CoachHoff50

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
06-13-17 04:05 PM - Post#230054    

They could all star in Semi-Pro II with those mustaches!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
New VCU Coaching Staff - tons of ties to N. Davis, Flannery, and the P.L.
08-01-19 11:30 AM - Post#286586    
    In response to Bison89

Adding to the huge list of players with ties to Flannery and Davis who ended up with jobs at VCU, now both Jesse Flannery and Nate Jones are there as grad assistants. Flannery actually started last summer but I didn't notice it at the time.

https://twitter.com/wayneeppsjr/status/11 566427777...

Edited by Bison137 on 08-01-19 11:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.378 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:11 AM