Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 16 of 16 « First<13141516
Username Post: 2020 Recruiting        (Topic#20343)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-12-20 10:41 AM - Post#313206    
    In response to LyleGold

Yeah. By D1 basketball standards, Lefko wasn't much of an athlete. What he had was relentless drive, excellent fundamentals, meanness and cunning. He made many highly-athletic opponents look like donkeys, which was fun to watch.

That said, I do agree with some of the comments I've read recently about AJ Brodeur's athleticism being somewhat underrated. He had a lot of the same qualities as Lefkowitz, but with more quickness and leaping ability.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
09-12-20 10:53 AM - Post#313207    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
Yeah. By D1 basketball standards, Lefko wasn't much of an athlete. What he had was relentless drive, excellent fundamentals, meanness and cunning. He made many highly-athletic opponents look like donkeys, which was fun to watch.

We have had a number of similar over-achievers in the front court over the years, especially in the Dunphy era. Zoller and Grandieri come to mind immediately.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-12-20 10:58 AM - Post#313208    
    In response to Streamers

Unless you're Tommy Amaker and maybe James Jones, underrated overachievers have nearly always been the path to success for Ivy coaches. Thats why I'm (VERY) cautiously optimistic about this JUCO kid. He could be one of those. We'll see.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
09-13-20 08:43 AM - Post#313224    
    In response to Silver Maple

OK, be cautiously optimistic if you want. However being an over-achiever is only a piece of the puzzle. Guys like Bruce and Darnell certainly had way more than their fair share of drive but they also had enough athletic ability to back it up.

Even if I concede your Amaker and Jones point, look at where Harvard and Yale finish in the standings year after year.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
09-29-20 05:14 PM - Post#314249    
    In response to TheLine

Penn men's basketball newcomers adjust to virtual fall

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/09/penn- mens-ba...

- The brand new freshmen and transfers on the team are unable to live on-campus this fall, so they’ve been stuck playing basketball, training in the gym, and getting acclimated to their new team alone at home. Uncertainty remains over whether they’ll even be playing a season this year after the Ivy League canceled all athletics events until at least Jan. 1. Despite this, the team is still preparing as it would in a normal year, just under very different circumstances.

Many of the upperclassmen on the team already had off-campus housing set up for this year in Philadelphia, so they are able to meet up and work out together. Freshman guards Matteus Case and Clark Slajchert are back home in Toronto and Los Angeles, respectively, adjusting to a new team and to virtual college life. -

- Case’s situation is unique, as he was a late commit to Penn and never even visited campus. He had planned a visit for last spring, but it was canceled due to the pandemic. Getting to know all of his new coaches and teammates virtually has been a challenge, and he is itching to get on campus as soon as possible to meet everyone in person.

Weekly newcomer meetings held via Zoom have been helpful for Case and the rest of his class to get to know the coaches and each other better. During these meetings, the group doesn’t actually talk about basketball. The coaches use this time to check in on how the freshmen are doing mentally, how their classes are going, and how life is back home.

On the basketball side, however, learning a new system virtually has been especially challenging for the first-year players. The lack of an in-person, on-court component is something new for all the athletes on the team, but at least the upperclassmen are already familiar with how the Quakers run their offense and defense. -

- Out on the West Coast, Slajchert has been able to find a weight room to train in and a gym for on-court work. To learn Penn’s system, however, he has been forced to come up with new strategies.

“Penn is not an easy offense to learn,” Slajchert said. “We’re even watching film from [past] practices so I can kind of envision myself doing what I would be doing if I was actually there.” -

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-17-21 04:15 PM - Post#322243    
    In response to rbg

• Quote:
Mashburn, Jr., chose to join Minnesota and play for Pitino's son.

https://www.startribune.com/jamal-mashburn-jr-com m...

A day after Pitino was let go at Minnesota (and was hired by New Mexico), Jamal Mashburn, Jr. has left Minnesota.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1 372240501...

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello

Minnesota freshman Jamal Mashburn Jr. has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Former four-star recruit averaged 8.2 points this season.
1:36 PM · Mar 17, 2021

Page 16 of 16 « First<13141516
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.186 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:26 AM