Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 12 of 16 « First<12131415>
Username Post: 2020 Recruiting        (Topic#20343)
Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
Re: 2020 Recruiting
04-27-20 11:21 AM - Post#306690    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I hate all travel partners playing each other on back to back weekends. Would be best as first and last league games each season.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
04-27-20 12:54 PM - Post#306697    
    In response to Naismith

If there is a 2020-21 Ivy basketball season,

and if that season follows the new conference schedule system, beginning on Saturday, January 2, 2021,

then one of the two travel partner games will be on the final weekend of the conference season.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
04-27-20 06:27 PM - Post#306705    
    In response to Naismith

I believe that our first Ivy game this season is Brown (not sure if home or away). As Stu noted, our last game is one of the two Princeton games; the other is likely to be the middle game of the Ivy schedule.

As to other games, we are playing Bucknell, Towson and Lafayette. I think Howard owes us a game but not sure about whether that will be this season.

pennsive 
Junior

04-28-20 01:09 PM - Post#306743    
    In response to Penndemonium

I think that the loss of Berger is significant. From his films he looked as though he could have seriously competed for time at the point guard position. We really need someone who can distribute the ball on offense, shoot, and defend his position, and he appeared to have that potential. I know in the past we often have played with combo guards, but somebody with those skills also has to bring up the ball, not dribble into double teams and to start the offense rolling. Who do we have that is healthy who can do all all of those things now?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
04-28-20 01:29 PM - Post#306747    
    In response to pennsive

Agree - I was hopeful about TJ having a skill set that adds more value to the team.

• pennsive Said:
I think that the loss of Berger is significant. From his films he looked as though he could have seriously competed for time at the point guard position. We really need someone who can distribute the ball on offense, shoot, and defend his position, and he appeared to have that potential. I know in the past we often have played with combo guards, but somebody with those skills also has to bring up the ball, not dribble into double teams and to start the offense rolling. Who do we have that is healthy who can do all all of those things now?

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
04-28-20 01:32 PM - Post#306748    
    In response to pennsive

• pennsive Said:

At this point, we're looking at some combination of Dingle and Monroe, both with a year's experience under their belts. Jelani Williams could be a wild card if he's healthy (and I hope he is), but anything he can give the team would have to be viewed as an unexpected bonus at this point.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-28-20 01:34 PM - Post#306751    
    In response to pennsive

Certainly changes the profile of the class for the worse. I know nothing, but I am hoping he does a post grad year and is part of our class next year. We’ll see.

As for combo guards, Dingle and Monroe are your leaders. Dingle seems to have some specific repeated errors that lead to turnovers that should be addressable. Monroe had a weird year, where he was great with the ball OOC, and then suddenly hit a wall and turned it over like crazy in conference. I think that can get cleaned up as well. He may have hit the Gensler wall.

Jelani would qualify if healthy too.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
2020 Recruiting
04-28-20 05:14 PM - Post#306760    
    In response to pennsive

I'm bummed about losing Berger for sure, but to be honest, it's not his PG skills I'm bummed about.

I watched several of his games, and while he is listed as a PG, he didn't play that role. Jalen Warley, a big PG who is a junior getting recruited by P5 schools was their PG. Berger sometimes brought the ball up, but really he was the designated shooter. My guess is that the shooting is what we'll be missing on (he wasn't blowing by people off the dribble or anything like that, really shooting a lot of jumpers).

Clark Slajchert is really the PG from this class if that makes you feel any better. In general, I'm not that worried about PG. Dingle is a heck of a player and will only get better, Monroe played PG in HS, we have Slajchert coming in, and if Jelani Williams was healthy he was a PG as well.

I'm more worried about general depth of classes. If you look back at 2017, 2018, and now 2020 you are looking at classes of 3 or less truly "recruited" players per class. As we've seen, injuries can devastate those classes, and the reason why a Harvard or a Yale have overcome those types of injuries to still be top of the standings is depth...

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
04-28-20 05:19 PM - Post#306762    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Certainly changes the profile of the class for the worse. I know nothing, but I am hoping he does a post grad year and is part of our class next year. We’ll see.

As for combo guards, Dingle and Monroe are your leaders. Dingle seems to have some specific repeated errors that lead to turnovers that should be addressable. Monroe had a weird year, where he was great with the ball OOC, and then suddenly hit a wall and turned it over like crazy in conference. I think that can get cleaned up as well. He may have hit the Gensler wall.

Jelani would qualify if healthy too.

Jordan Dingle's TO Rate was 18.4% for the season, 15.1% in Ivy League (lower than senior Dev Goodman). I would bet if you took the time to look at other players across the league playing PG and holding the ball as much he Jordan did, that it compares well.

Now his assist rate isn't as high because he is more of a scorer combo guard, but his TOs have been overblown statistically.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
04-28-20 06:09 PM - Post#306763    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:

I have to believe current events are having a profound impact on this year's HS seniors. Their Senior tear is deprived of real classes, proms, graduations, etc. and they have no idea what their freshman experience will be like. This is especially true for athletes (especially IVY athletes) who may have eligibility concerns if the season is impacted.

Doing a secondary school PG or gap year must look pretty good to kids who can make that work.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
04-28-20 07:02 PM - Post#306768    
    In response to Streamers

This is true. I've heard from several people with graduating seniors that if classes aren't in-person next fall, they'd rather have their kids take a gap year. They figure that Freshman year really is an experiential year as much as it is an academic year.

I think schools will be slightly less open to gap years as a result. They wouldn't want that to cause a shortfall to enrollment and overload the admissions system next year.

• Streamers Said:
  • SomeGuy Said:

I have to believe current events are having a profound impact on this year's HS seniors. Their Senior tear is deprived of real classes, proms, graduations, etc. and they have no idea what their freshman experience will be like. This is especially true for athletes (especially IVY athletes) who may have eligibility concerns if the season is impacted.

Doing a secondary school PG or gap year must look pretty good to kids who can make that work.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
04-28-20 07:04 PM - Post#306769    
    In response to Penndemonium

May not be an option.
I thought I read that if matriculating seniors decide to postpone they lose their place.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
04-28-20 08:04 PM - Post#306770    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

There are no health reason to forgo school next year. Moreover, there are profound economic reasons to have it. Let's hope the decision makers come to their senses soon.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
04-28-20 09:37 PM - Post#306771    
    In response to UPIA1968

It's a legitimate question, particularly in the Northeast, whether or not it will be safe to start the school year in person.

It's difficult enough for administrators like my wife (middle school principal) who are currently mulling this very issue and, even in the somewhat unlikely event that they began in person, the protocols that would need to occur on their closed campus.

On a college campus, those kind of controls are simply not possible.

• UPIA1968 Said:
There are no health reason to forgo school next year. Moreover, there are profound economic reasons to have it. Let's hope the decision makers come to their senses soon.

mobrien 
Masters Student

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
04-28-20 11:39 PM - Post#306773    
    In response to penn nation

College campuses are particularly ill-suited for social distancing. It won't be easy for them to have in-person classes in the fall.

palestra38 
Professor

04-29-20 06:17 AM - Post#306774    
    In response to mobrien

If you are going to pay the price for a private college higher education, there is no way you want it to be remote in the freshman year. My daughter is starting med school, which is different, but for undergraduate, you make friends and start a new social life that is irreplaceable. Unless a vaccine is widely available by September, the community colleges will have their biggest year ever and private colleges will have their smallest classes ever. And in general, they don't have the bargaining power to demand that students start this year if they cannot either give the experience that justifies the cost or greatly reduce the first year cost.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
04-29-20 06:25 AM - Post#306775    
    In response to palestra38

We’re getting our applications in to local schools at a fraction of the price.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
2020 Recruiting
04-29-20 08:27 AM - Post#306778    
    In response to palestra38

Totally agree. Community colleges and low cost local public 4 year colleges will be the big winners. As long as they have the capacity to handle all of the on-line teaching.

Edited by penn nation on 04-29-20 08:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

04-29-20 10:59 AM - Post#306791    

How many enterprising colleges will offer online degrees for a lesser price once the infrastructure is built?

Hopefully not the Ivies, but I could see many others charging for a distanced degree. University of Phoenix will have competition. Betsy Devos will have her hands full! Politicians will pitch this as a way to avoid student debt. No hazing, less sexual harrassment. Sporting events can take place but without fans. Normal?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

04-29-20 10:59 AM - Post#306792    

How many enterprising colleges will offer online degrees for a lesser price once the infrastructure is built?

Hopefully not the Ivies, but I could see many others charging for a distanced degree. University of Phoenix will have competition. Betsy Devos will have her hands full! Politicians will pitch this as a way to avoid student debt. No hazing, less sexual harrassment. Sporting events can take place but without fans. Normal?

Page 12 of 16 « First<12131415>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.191 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:25 PM