Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: PL joins reffing alliance with ACC, Big East, etc.        (Topic#20410)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
07-27-17 03:43 PM - Post#231350    

Patriot League Basketball joins ACC Big East Basketball Officiating Alliance

I don't think this will give the league a better quality of referees, but maybe it will upgrade the performance of the second-rate refs who normally get assigned to PL games.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: PL joins reffing alliance with ACC, Big East, etc.
07-27-17 04:23 PM - Post#231353    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

Patriot League Basketball joins ACC Big East Basketball Officiating Alliance

I don't think this will give the league a better quality of referees, but maybe it will upgrade the performance of the second-rate refs who normally get assigned to PL games.

137, just out of interest, why wouldn't this multi-conference alliance result in more ACC and Big East refs covering PL and Ivy games?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-27-17 04:59 PM - Post#231356    
    In response to Bison89

There are only a certain number of good referees, and almost every available date they have is assigned to a power conference game. For a top referee to do a PL game in most cases would mean that Duke or Villanova etc would have to get a second-tier or third-tier ref - the ones who usually ref PL games. What are the odds of that happening? Also the ACC, Big East, etc pay a lot more than the PL does for refs, so they will always get the best ones available.

The press release said:

"The Alliance will enable all eight conferences to work together on a wide range of officiating matters, including scheduling, training, development, recruitment, retention and evaluation. The long-term mission of the Alliance is to increase proficiency and consistency among veteran officials across the collegiate basketball officiating landscape and to facilitate the entry of younger referees into the officiating profession."

Hopefully there will be more training and development - which may increase the quality of the refs in general. Also if they can recruit more quality refs - which is listed as one of the goals - there could be an effect on the overall reffing pool. More competent refs could drive out some of the incompetent ones, and thus upgrade what we see in the PL. Maybe.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
07-27-17 06:53 PM - Post#231357    
    In response to Bison137

Hmm, I don't recall any issues with PL refs? I've always been quite impressed with the quality and professional job done game in game out.

Sarcasm alert.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
07-28-17 10:58 AM - Post#231372    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Also the ACC, Big East, etc pay a lot more than the PL does for refs, so they will always get the best ones available.

I did not know that the Power Conferences pay more per game than the PL. That makes a HUGE difference.

By any chance, do you have any idea of how much conferences pay?

My buddy, who lived in CA, used to ref women's hoops for the WAC about 10 years ago. IIRC, at that time, he received $800/game plus travel expenses. If he traveled to Hawaii for a game, it was more. He used to try to do 2-3 games per week.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-28-17 12:24 PM - Post#231379    
    In response to Bison89

To begin, refs often have two options when it comes to pay. They can (A) take a higher amount but get nothing for expenses; Or (B) get a lower amount but with expenses paid separately. I don't have any precise numbers but I have seen some numbers in articles. For Option (A), I believe the refs in the top conferences get $3000+ per game. In the PL, it is less than half of that. A few years ago I heard an unconfirmed report that the PL fee, if expenses were paid separately (i.e. Option B), was $800. No idea of the accuracy.

VoiceofNavySports 
Freshman

Reg: 12-17-13
08-10-17 11:10 AM - Post#231785    
    In response to Bison137

The top conference fee is correct. When we played Friday-Sunday in the PL, we got a lot of those refs. Now everyone plays on Wed-Sat so by nature, we will not get the top rated guys.

Notice on the Monday games or Sunday games Reggie always got a Jeff Anderson, Clarence Armstrong, Sean Hull, on the games when he could...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
09-22-17 06:05 PM - Post#233154    
    In response to VoiceofNavySports

Old news, but new to me: Reggie Greenwood stepped down as coordinator of officials for the Patriot League.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-col lege-b...

PLHoopsFanatic 
Freshman

Reg: 01-04-11
09-23-17 09:34 PM - Post#233174    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Greenwood remains the coordinator of officials for the Patriot League and Ivy League. He will work with the Alliance.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.151 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:15 PM