Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Back to next season        (Topic#20431)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
08-12-17 09:26 AM - Post#231888    
    In response to PennFan10

That's because he had a smallish 5 option and no real 4 option that fit the mold.

AtCornell he had. 7 foot center and a big bodied 4 with a good mid range game, but not an outside threat.

I think his last year after the 4 graduated he went small since it was his best option.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
08-12-17 09:37 AM - Post#231889    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I disagree. He would play 5 guards if he could. Last year we didn't see AJ and Max together much at all. unless one of the three of Jarrod/AJ/ Max can do what Matt H did I don't think we will see it this year either.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
08-12-17 09:54 AM - Post#231890    
    In response to PennFan10

Well, you need the bigs for D. If anything, two bigs that can't take threes hurts Steve's offense.

Now, if he sticks with that gimmicky zone, he probably doesn't need a second big, because no one can suck AJ out to the perimeter. That being said, his team was one of the worst at allowing 3pt attempts (irrespective of percent made). It's hard to stop that out of a zone, but if you go man, you probably want a second credible rim protector on the floor. That tradeoff could be where not having a "real" 4 hurts you.

Also, important to remember, Howard was the 10th best defensive rebounder by rate in the league last year, marginally behind AJ. Only Bathurst and Oni rebounded better as guards and they were only marginally better as well. Howard being so helpful there papered over another trouble spot of a zone.

I guess all of this is to say that Howard might have been a very special player that enabled some strategies and lineup combos that it won't be easy to just slot someone else in to take over. That doesn't mean that the new ways Penn will have to play will be worse - the new personnel could empower better strategies - but, for me, losing Howard makes it tough to talk about Penn from the same starting style as last year.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-12-17 10:14 AM - Post#231891    
    In response to PennFan10

Playing 5 guards equates to 0-14 in the Ivies. Playing Ryan Bentley at the 4 is also a formula for a losing season. Unfortunately AJ and Max are not a great 4/5 combo.

Simmons in intriguing because he has a skill set that is unique for a big on this Penn team. The big question is how it translates to D1 bb In his freshman year. I would not wait until Feb to find out.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

08-12-17 12:21 PM - Post#231892    

Obviously he isn't going to play 5 guards, I was being facetious.

If AJ/Max are not a good 4/5 combo then how is adding Jarrod going to change that?

I agree w MrJ that Howard was a unique mix and we will have to see how Donahue employs the current talents.

Part of my notion that Donahue doesn't want 2 bigs on the floor stems from the fact he started Matt McDonald most of the first half of the year last year. Max looks like a much more productive player than Matt (certainly during that stretch) yet AJ/Max appeared few times on the floor together and for very short stretches.

Someone posted that a lack of depth kept Donahue from playing 2 bigs more often last year, which is plausible. If AJ/Max got into foul trouble, there weren't many other good options. Jarrod should change that. I hope so because some combination of 2 of AJ/Max/Jarrod all the time may be part of our best lineup.

I still think Betley will make the biggest jump and will become our best player pretty quickly.

So I see Frontcourt combo of AJ/Max/Jarrod (2 of the 3) along with Betley and then Goodman/Darnell/Woods/Jac kson battling for the guard spots along with Jelani once he is full go. That's 9 players without mentioning MacDonald, Tyler, Silpe, C Wood, Eddie Scott and S Jones (or 7 foot Jackson).

Going to be a competitive fall for the Quakers.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
08-12-17 01:14 PM - Post#231894    
    In response to SomeGuy

One more stat to overhype Betley -- over the last 8 games, he averaged a shade undear 18 ppg as we climbed back into it. So while overall I'd say he played at an HM level for the season, for the second half he was probably already playing at a 2nd team all-Ivy level.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
08-12-17 01:38 PM - Post#231895    
    In response to SomeGuy

Any word on how Antonio Woods is looking this summer? I'm wondering if he might pass a few folks to get on starting lineup.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-12-17 02:47 PM - Post#231897    
    In response to Mike Porter

"If AJ/Max are not a good 4/5 combo then how is adding Jarrod going to change that?

He changes the dynamics because he has a skill set neither of the other two has. He can actually bring the ball up the court or attack the basket off the dribble He is also very long and has superior athleticism. What's unknown is his maturity level as a freshman and ability to excel at this level right away.

Max is an undersized 5 with the skills of a 5 Brodeur has more skills than equate to a 4, but is a better option at the 5 than Max.

Undoubtably Max and AJ will share the court at times because Steve has to manage minutes and fouls. Having said that, it's not a strong front court combo.

So I think Simmons better be a preferred option or we are in a bad situation because i happen to agree with Mike James that we don't a very good Matt Howard/small 4 replacement on the team this year.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

08-12-17 03:40 PM - Post#231898    

I definitely disagree with your assessment of their skill set but we are in agreement in hoping Jarrod has a full complement of skills.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
08-12-17 05:44 PM - Post#231901    
    In response to PennFan10

My hope is that we will see a lot more 2 big sets if Simmons is ready to play at the college level. I think last year we saw hesitation to put Max and AJ out there at the same time because we had no depth and Donahue didn't really want to go deeper than Max and AJ in the bigs. I felt he was holding Max in reserve to back up AJ at the 5 knowing that we had a great multi-functional player in Matt Howard who could fill in at the 4 and do some unique things there. We'll see what happens in a few months!

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
08-12-17 06:01 PM - Post#231902    

Yes, I think the major consideration was to not get both bigs into foul trouble, but another was that they didn't seem to mesh particularly well when they were both out there at the same time. AJ and Max tended to gravitate to the same spots on the floor.

I'm of a mixed opinion. On the one hand, AJ has range on his shot and I wouldn't mind him using it more. On the other hand he's so effective underneath the hoop on both ends and I'd hate to give that away. His roll to the hoop is already close to unstoppable without doubling him - once he learns how to deal with double-teams then look out. Max also plays underneath the hoop most of the time. Jarrod - I don't know but in the little I saw of his high school play he also occupied the area under the hoop a lot.

One key is whether Simmons - or any other big on the roster - is going to be ready to contribute and be part of the rotation. If so then perhaps the staff will work more on offensive and defensive sets with two bigs on the court together and see how it goes.

palestra38 
Professor

08-13-17 03:15 PM - Post#231919    

I agree with you that Woods is the wild card this year. Few here seem to remember the hype for him when he started and he played with a confidence well beyond a freshman, even if he indeed was pretty raw. If his court sense has come up to his talent, he is a pretty special Ivy guard.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-14-17 08:35 AM - Post#231938    
    In response to palestra38

I thought Antonio started to begin to show he could be a very good Ivy pg in the last few games of his shortened season. Being realistic though - he hopefully has improved his shooting, especially from distance. I do believe he has the skills to beat his man off the dribble and get into the lane with the shot clock running down, but, even there, his FT % needs to improve.

I totally agree he's a wildcard that could make the team much better if ......

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Back to next season
08-14-17 01:28 PM - Post#231977    
    In response to mrjames

Has anyone seen Jackson on a basketball court this summer?

Talk about a wild card down the road....

Edited by penn nation on 08-14-17 01:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

08-14-17 03:14 PM - Post#231986    
    In response to penn nation

Jackson is only running and doing individual workouts. He was not allowed to work out or touch a basketball for 2 years on his mission. The team is getting him back into running shape and he is putting up shots, etc before he can even begin to participate in a group/team workout. It's hard to imagine him having much of an impact at any point this year.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.503 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:25 AM