Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lowball prediction        (Topic#20535)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
10-06-17 01:17 PM - Post#233556    

Mike James seems to buy into Jordan Majewski’s writeup of the Ivy MBB season, in which he tabs us for 6th, above only Brown and Dartmouth, based upon perceived defensive weaknesses of Castlin and Hickman, and lack of frontcourt players other than Meisner and Faulds. He does like Smith but thinks we will have to resort to a zone. I would attach the article if I knew how.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-06-17 05:45 PM - Post#233565    
    In response to Chet Forte

Chet, here the link from Majewski's twitter account.

https://www.sportsaction.io/blog/college-basketbal ...

Majewski suggests that the Lions have only two frontcourt players of note--Faulds and Meisner-- which is true to some extent, but he seems to have overlooked Patrick Tape who impressed many of us in limited playing time last year. Two other returning players should also be in the mix--Rodney Hunter and Andrew Panaytiou. Hunter missed his freshman year due to injury and he seemed uncomfortable at times last year playing outside. However, I assume that by now everyone recognizes that Hunter's skills set is that of a forward and not a guard and I feel that he can be a very good player up front. The Lions also have a couple of promising freshman bigs in Myles Hanson and Randy Brumant who will compete for playing time along with sophomore Andrew Panayatiou. Finally, I wonder if Shane Eberle is ready to play this year. I believe there is some video footage of him on line. I will leave Majewski's comments about our backcourt players for another day, perhaps the day after we open against Villanova.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-10-17 10:43 AM - Post#233688    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Rob Dauster of NBC Sports picks us for fifth. Passing reference to Mike Smith. Glowing predictions for Yale, Princeton, of course.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-10-17 10:55 AM - Post#233692    

Where should Columbia be ranked in the Ivy?

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
10-10-17 03:29 PM - Post#233721    
    In response to mrjames

Probably 5th, though if we have one or more breakout first year (Faulds/Bibbs/Hanson?) I have fantasies of dislodging Penn and making the tournament.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-10-17 05:16 PM - Post#233738    
    In response to cc66

We have several players with very high ceilings who are still unproven. Smith is a given, and I assume Castlin and Hickman are as well. But a healthy Meisner can really be a force in this league. And if Tape can stay out of foul trouble he can also be a difference maker. As far as the first years, Faulds and Bibbs are critical to our success. So to answer your question, I really don’t know. I think Engles is a very good coach, we have some good talent, and we appear to be deep.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-10-17 07:56 PM - Post#233749    

Last year was a transitional year in every respect with a new coaching staff, a new system, new key players, etc., etc. Then the Lions got hit with the injury bug losing Castlin before the season began and Meisner down the stretch. Columbia did not have anyone to replace those two and so the Lions missed the Ivy League Tournament. However, my sense is that everyone is much more comfortable this year and Coach Engles has brought in a very talented group that will make an immediate impact. Engles appears to be is a terrific recruiter and well-liked by the players so the program appears to be on the rise.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-11-17 09:43 AM - Post#233768    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

McKeon’s Three Man Weave picks Faulds as rookie of the year and newcomer of the year. Also picks Smith as second team All Ivy.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.232 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:11 AM