Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: 17-18 Season Previews        (Topic#20537)
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-27-17 08:02 AM - Post#234721    
    In response to whitakk

I guess I'm not thinking about it as much as being an explicitly worse player (to some extent, selection bias takes care of that - if you feel like you're going to be worse, you just never return). I think it's a fair concern to consider that missing time right up to the start of the season, and then trying to get familiar with a new cast of characters will just slow him a bit to start. Especially when you add in a back strain right before the season tips.

I don't know that there's a huge sample of stars getting injured to think through the ones that didn't return the same, but there certainly have been players who had injuries derail their potential. A guy like Kenyatta Smith comes to mind, who ultimately decided not even to take his post grad year after injury. Hunter Myers tried to return a bunch but never could.

I think Makai will be just fine, but I guess I understand if people want to point that out as a potential risk factor to hitting lofty expectations.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
10-27-17 10:33 AM - Post#234770    
    In response to mrjames

Not unhappy that people are looking past the TIgers. The losses are huge; the question is whether the production can be replaced. I don't see a Weisz or a Cook among the returnees nor is it reasonable to expect the freshmen to play at such a level right away, especially in an improved League 1 through 6,at least. But the goal is to reach the tournament and the Tigers should be very good by March. What a year this will be !

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
10-27-17 01:35 PM - Post#234823    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

One optimistic offensive scenario not involving freshman magic is that last season Cannady was deferring a lot and not getting in rhythm but that he will explode now (including on drives), Stephens is ready to put in a Wesley Saunders-like two-way performance, and Bell can play like the second half of last season or better. That would take much of the pressure off of replacing Weisz's point-forward role and Cook's scoring contribution .

A different optimistic offensive scenario is that the Tigers can rededicate to using backdoor cuts in combination with the three-point game to wrongfoot defenders (ironically, I've seen NBA teams doing this stuff more in the last few years than I have the Tigers--when the Celtics stole that playoff game last season from the Cavs after Thomas got hurt, Avery Bradley looked like he would have fit right in with Kit Mueller and company). It seemed like last season they relied heavily on athletic ability or mismatches to get good looks inside, and that worked pretty well at times, but there was a lot of tentativeness (and turnovers) on cuts to the basket.

I still think that defense could be the area where the team has to make the biggest adjustment, especially if freshmen play significant minutes.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-27-17 09:25 PM - Post#234870    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

"But, the goal is to reach the Tournament ..."

(Sigh), I was afraid that the idiotic Tournament would make us think like this. I still value the Ivy regular season Championship more than a chance to go one or two games against large conference jock palaces. The treatment of Ivy champs in most recent years has demonstrated, I believe, that the NCAA will always under seed our single representative to get rid of it as soon as possible. We merely reinforce this behavior by possibly sending some weekend wonder like a certain team that will once again draw home court advantage.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-06-17 09:56 AM - Post#235494    
    In response to Tiger69

Here are some additional Princeton previews:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2017/11/34-teams-in-3 4-d...

http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2017/11/05/interview- wit...

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2017/11/p...

http://www.trentonian.com/article/TT/20171102/S POR...

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/10/26/princeton- b...

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/hs-basketball- p...

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-06-17 10:14 AM - Post#235495    
    In response to Tiger69

Seems to me that certain Ivy teams other than Princeton have gotten to the Sweet 16 in recent years. So maybe the seeding issue is not a conspiracy as you suggest.

I agree with you that we should not have a tournament. But we do and it isn't going anywhere.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-06-17 03:19 PM - Post#235532    
    In response to palestra38

Busting Brackets had this:

"Primarily a bench player last season, Bell operates as a 3-and-D player. He’ll switch on defense with Cannady to guard the opposing ball handler because of his 160 pounds, but nonetheless is a quality defender."

Huh?

SRP 
Postdoc

11-06-17 03:21 PM - Post#235533    

Busting Brackets had this:

"Primarily a bench player last season, Bell operates as a 3-and-D player. He’ll switch on defense with Cannady to guard the opposing ball handler because of his 160 pounds, but nonetheless is a quality defender."

Huh?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-07-17 01:03 AM - Post#235565    

I have no problem with the Tournament as I believe I have previously indicated. My objection is that the NCAA bid is not guaranteed to the regular season champ. If/when we get a second bid, then give it to the Tournament Champ. Hopefully, this issue may become academic with the rising status of the IL. But, never underestimate the greed of the "power" conferences in clinging to the money by either excluding worthy mid-majors, under seeding them, or matching them off against each other in early rounds.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
11-09-17 01:56 PM - Post#235746    
    In response to SRP

3-and-D:

Most of the offensive contribution is spotting up for 3s, and is a stopper on defense.

SRP 
Postdoc

11-09-17 01:58 PM - Post#235747    
    In response to Tiger84

Bell is the best dribble penetrator on the team, posts up smaller guards, and weighs a lot more than 160 pounds.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.538 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:09 AM