Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike James tweet        (Topic#20547)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
10-11-17 03:04 PM - Post#233804    

Mike’s latest tweet if I read it correctly, is that HYP are so far ahead of the rest of the league in recruiting as to make the rest of us non-competitive. But if that is not the case in football, for example, why should that be so in MBB? Granted I do not pretend to be anything but a diehard lifelong Columbia guy, but I simply do not believe that this can be so. We have a number of football recruits who were also offered by those three schools, so why not in basketball? NYC is the basketball capitol of the world.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-11-17 03:11 PM - Post#233805    
    In response to Chet Forte

I also don't think that it has to be so in basketball. It just is right now - in a very big way.

Didn't intend that to equal manifest destiny, thus is the way it shall always be. Penn and Columbia are well-positioned to get some momentum in recruiting and potentially close that gap moving forward. But the gap is LARGE right now - larger than it's been since Penn and Princeton owned this league for 20 years.

florida lion 
Freshman

Reg: 04-21-17
10-11-17 07:26 PM - Post#233829    
    In response to mrjames

Mike, do you have any info on the % (vs nationwide) of quality recruits who come out of the greater NYC area. It seems to me that it’s less than used to be. Years ago it was fertile ground.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-12-17 10:23 AM - Post#233844    
    In response to florida lion

I don't have that info, but anecdotally - totally agree if we're just talking about NYC proper. I do think that Jersey within commuting distance of NYC pumps out a TON of talent (even with the loss of St. Ant's). That along with the New England Prep circuit is a far greater hub for recruiting activity than the actual NYC schools are anymore.

florida lion 
Freshman

10-12-17 11:48 AM - Post#233851    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks. Guess I was thinking mainly of NYC. But, I’m obviously out of touch, realized I haven’t seen high school names like Power Memorial, Erasmus, Thomas Jefferson, etc on any recruiting lists. I looked them up and they’ve all closed.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-12-17 09:06 PM - Post#233875    

Take heart Florida Lion as Erasmus Hall High School and Thomas Jefferson High School still have some life in them although they were split up into several smaller campus schools some time ago. In fact, while Erasmus is no longer the national basketball power it once was, Erasmus has experienced a football revival of late and one of its recent grads, Curtis Samuel, was a star running back at Ohio State and now plays for the Carolina Panthers. Academics are the issue today at Erasmus as well as Thomas Jefferson which produced Columbia basketball great, Jim McMillian. Finally, Power Academy, home of Karem Abdul-Jabbar, closed a long time ago, but there are still some solid Catholic High School powers in the Big Apple. Unfortunately, public school athletic facilities in New York City are just awful particularly in comparison with the out=of-town prep schools so talented players tend to migrate to those prep schools early in their career.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-13-17 06:34 AM - Post#233880    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

CJ Davis is from a very strong Catholic high school program in Queens.

florida lion 
Freshman

10-13-17 10:19 AM - Post#233888    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Thanks for the NYC update. Sad end to a great tradition. I took a quick look at two other key players on Jim M's team--Dotson and Newmark. Both went to public high in NYC.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-13-17 02:11 PM - Post#233930    

And Leon Williams.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-16-17 10:51 AM - Post#234039    
    In response to Chet Forte

Mike, you have been reporting some great stuff on the Open Harvard practice. Does anybody know if Jim is going to do something like that for us? I’m interested in seeing what working out all summer with Jimmy Butler has done for Mike Smith’s game, among other things.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.705 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:23 PM