Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 9 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: Bison Recruits 2019        (Topic#20573)
KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
Reg: 01-23-06
09-25-18 09:03 AM - Post#261575    
    In response to KenZ

not someone we recruited, but of interest, Miles Jones (Nate's brother) commits to play for their dad at Radford

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/r adfor...

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
09-25-18 11:03 AM - Post#261579    
    In response to KenZ

Since his father is the HC, is it fair to assume that his children get free tuition? So, there is really nothing for Radford to lose.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

NoMoney89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-17-18
09-25-18 03:42 PM - Post#261595    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
Since his father is the HC, is it fair to assume that his children get free tuition? So, there is really nothing for Radford to lose.

Not always the case as its usually a perk provided to employees/faculty after certain number of years of service. When I was actively seeking employment it was between 5-10yrs of service. So many coaches may not reach that threshold? obviously could be a negotiated perk in each individual contract. Also of note in the Higher Ed community there is a fair amount of reciprocity that goes on in this respect (i.e. would you want to be a professor or staff members kid on campus? many want to go further afield).

That said, I wonder if he would/could be considered a recruited walk-on and not count against scholarship counts.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
09-25-18 04:25 PM - Post#261600    
    In response to NoMoney89

Radford is not in the national Tuition Exchange. Their tuition benefit may be limited (some are 50%) or non-existent. Bucknell is generous in that respect.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
09-25-18 08:27 PM - Post#261617    
    In response to NoMoney89

• NoMoney89 Said:

That said, I wonder if he would/could be considered a recruited walk-on and not count against scholarship counts.

That is an interesting question. To begin, most tuition waivers etc are still considered financial aid by the NCAA's definition. Here are the general categories:

a) All funds administered by the institution, which include but are not limited to the following:

(1) Scholarships;
(2) Grants;
(3) Tuition waivers;
(4) Employee dependent tuition benefits, unless the parent or the legal guardian of a student-athlete has been employed as a full-time faculty/staff member for a minimum of five years; and
(5) Loans.

(b) Aid from government or private sources for which
the institution is responsible for selecting the recipient or determining the amount of aid, or
providing matching or supplementary funds for a
previously determined recipient.

So it appears that tuition benefits received by Jones - if he is receiving any - would not be considered any kind of special financial aid, since Coach Jones has been at Radford for eight years.

Secondly, the rules say that any athlete who is "recruited" for basketball becomes a counter if he receives any financial aid at all - even loans, tuition benefits, etc. But to be considered a "recruited" athlete, one must have either been offered a scholarship or taken an official visit or had an arranged off-campus visit with the coach. Given Miles Jones' status, probably none of those would apply. (There is a general exception in the rules as far as visits when a player is a close relation of the coach.)

So my guess is that he would not be a counter if he is receiving some sort of tuition benefit. BUT that only applies to tuition. If he is given room or board, I think his status would change to being a counter.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
09-26-18 11:30 AM - Post#261626    
    In response to Bison137

Per its HR website, Radford does not appear to have a remission program for employee dependents. So, either dad is paying the bill or Miles must be considered a counter against the NCAA limit.

Earlier this summer, Radford advertised a graduate assistant position for the men's basketball program and was very clear that the position received a stipend but no tuition benefit. So, the University has a hard-line stance on tuition benefits.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
10-02-18 03:32 PM - Post#261772    
    In response to DoCtoR62

more wrapup record keeping

Beran to Northwestern

Dingle to Penn (how many shooting guards can you play at one time?)

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
10-02-18 08:38 PM - Post#261779    
    In response to KenZ

It’s all about accumulating them and seeing who develops. Most schools can’t do that, but an Ivy can bring in six or more recruits every season and see what happens.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
10-02-18 09:26 PM - Post#261780    
    In response to Bison137

Hey guys - Penn Fan here who pops by from time to time (and also confused why we don’t play each other since I think it would be a fun game now that we are on the right path again).

While the core of what Bison137 is saying is true, it isn’t true that Ivy’s can recruit 6+ kids every year. I’m not on very latest but there is a 4 year cycle limit on number of recruited basketball players, which I believe is 20.

Regarding Dingle, he’s a recruit I’m pretty excited about, even more so now that a very well respected non Penn poster nychoops chimed in to sing his praises. He had a great EBYL season and not quite sure why he didn’t get more offers honestly, but better for Penn!

In terms of our 2019 class it was expected to be big, replacing 6 man class leaving and frankly we’re still just digging out of mess we were in from last Jerome Allen years. While we have 3 kids in the 6’3” to 6’5” range in this upcoming class they all bring something a bit different and definitely aren’t all SGs.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
10-02-18 09:55 PM - Post#261782    
    In response to Mike Porter

Thanks for the post. Interesting info. One thing I would add is that some Ivy League schools have recruited more than 20 players over four years cycle by having a few players with really good grades etc. apply as regular students. I know of a number of cases where that is happened.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
10-02-18 11:59 PM - Post#261784    
    In response to Bison137

I’m sure that totally could have happened over the years, but unlikely it does now. The AI is averaged, but only kids designated as recruited athletes count towards that as far as I understand it, so a team would lose the benefit of a high AI kid.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
10-03-18 10:03 AM - Post#261820    

• Mike Porter Said:
Hey guys - Penn Fan here who pops by from time to time (and also confused why we don’t play each other since I think it would be a fun game now that we are on the right path again).

Mike, Bucknell fans would love to have a game at the Palestra followed by a game the following year at Sojka. If you have any influence at Penn, please put in a good word.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
10-09-18 11:06 AM - Post#262238    
    In response to Bison89

Watts to Brown

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
10-09-18 11:09 AM - Post#262240    
    In response to KenZ

as for a Penn series, would love to see it. last thing i heard was a few years ago, probably prior coaching staffs at both schools, but Penn was not interested in a home and home series as they did not see any upside to coming to Lewisburg and have too many other options.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
10-10-18 01:18 AM - Post#262328    
    In response to KenZ

I’m just a fan with no sway whatsoever (and I live 3000 miles away), but I’d love to see a home and home.

Looks like we’ll have to settle for our teams scrimmaging this preseason as it is reported to be happening on Saturday. Not sure where, but maybe some folks on your side know? Would love to hear impressions after.

Cheers,
-Mike

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
10-10-18 04:02 AM - Post#262330    

NCAA closed scrimmage, might be tough to get any first hand comments.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
10-10-18 04:45 PM - Post#262371    

• Mike Porter Said:
Looks like we’ll have to settle for our teams scrimmaging this preseason as it is reported to be happening on Saturday. Not sure where, but maybe some folks on your side know?

At the Cathedral of College Basketball.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
10-13-18 08:10 PM - Post#262514    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

- Acunzo , Mattia 6-8 SF (PA/Italy) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ;  ODU, USF, American, Toledo, Youngstown State, Wright State, App State, UNCG, Lipscomb, Canisius, Stony Brook, etc.

• KenZ Said:

final five for Acunzo:

Bucknell, South Florida, Old Dominion, Toledo, and Richmond

Acunzo opts for Toledo. His HS is in northwestern PA. The other finalists were USF and ODU.

I wonder if the Bison could have still been in the mix before they used the last scholarship. Probably not, since his game seems quite similar to that of Van der Heijden.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
10-22-18 10:31 PM - Post#263286    
    In response to Bison137

Updating the list to reflect all of the activity and commitments of the past couple of months. Let me know if there are errors or omissions.

- Name . . . . . . . Height. . . POS . . . State . . . BU Offer/Date . . . . . Other Offers

- Acunzo , Mattia 6-8 SF (PA/Italy) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Committed to Toledo;  ODU, American, Youngstown State, Wright State, App State, UNCG, Lipscomb, Canisius, Stony Brook, etc.
- Akanno , Dexter 6-4 CG (CA/NJ) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; committed to Marquette; Northeastern, Northern AZ
- Beran , Robbie 6-8 PF (VA) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Northwestern; BC, KS State, GA Tech, GW, Richmond, Rice, GMU, JMU, W&M, Marshall, Wofford, Columbia, Lafayette, American, Samford, VMI, St. Francis, Mt. St. Mary's, etc.
- Bickerstaff , TJ 6-8 SF/PF (GA) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Drexel; Georgetown, Memphis, DePaul, Charlotte, UNC Asheville, FGCU, UAB, ODU, Eastern Michigan, Mercer, etc.
- Brayboy , Ciaran 6-10 Center (IL) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Harvard; DePaul, Rice, Ball State, Toledo, Wofford, Brown, Yale, Columbia, Milwaukee, and Southern Illinois
- Broadnax , Trae 6-3 PG (GA) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Rice, Tulane, USF, Charleston, Charlotte, UAB, Wofford, Columbia, UMass, FGCU, FL State, Georgia, UNCG
- Brown , Nick 6-1 CG (NC) No Offer ; Committed to Eastern New Mexico (D2)
- Buckley , Evan 6-1 PG (VA) BUCKNELL OFFER Oct-2016 ; Bucknell, George Mason, James Madison, Delaware, UNH, American, NJIT, DuquesneYoungstown, Lafayette, Yale, etc
- Cattoor , Hunter 6-3 CG FL BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Committed to Wofford; Bradley, Charleston, UCF, Furman, Elon, Lehigh, Boston, FGCU, Lipscomb, Texas State, UNCW, etc.
- Charles , Jonah 6-5 SG (NJ) No Offer ; Committed to Penn; Lafayette, Columbia - brother of HC's Karl Charles
- Cozart , Isaiah 6-7 SF/PF KY BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Committed to WKU; Bona, Toledo, W&M, Belmont, Lipscomb, Winthrop, UNCW, UNC Ashevlle, Morehead St, No. Kentucky, etc.
- Dingle , Jordan 6-3 Wing (NJ) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ;  Committed to Penn; St. Louis, Holy Cross, Penn, Boston U. (Maybe Princeton and Dartmouth.)
- Domask , Marcus 6-5 SF (WI) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Northern Kentucky; Akron, W. Mich., Air Force, Milwaukee, AU, Elon, Green Bay
- Evtimov , Nicholas 6-8 PF (NC) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Iona, App State, Towson, Colgate, Lehigh, Campbell, UNCG, etc
- Forrest , Jack 6-4 SG (PA) BUCKNELL OFFER May-2018 ; Committed to Columbia; Boston U, Lehigh, Drexel, Penn, Brown, Cornell, NJIT; and Yale; Bison were other finalist.
- Fowler , Mike 6-9 PF (NC) BUCKNELL OFFER May-2018 ; Committed to JMU; East Carolina, UNCW, High Point, Lipsomb, Columbia, Hampton, IUPUI, etc
- Freemantle , Zach 6-8 PF (NJ) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Xavier; BC, Northwestern, GA Tech, VCU, Bona, St. Joes, Lehigh, Monmouth, Brown, Columbia, NJIT
- Glover , Jacques (Ques) 5-11 PG (TN) BUCKNELL OFFER May-2018 ; Vermont, Furman, Canisius, UAB, Charlotte, New Mexico St, Charleston, Yale, Loyola (IL), Samford, , Mt St Marys, Canisius, Cal Bakersfield, Nicholls State.
- Grant , Donovan 6-5 Wing (GA) BUCKNELL OFFER Nov-2017 ;
- Jarvis , EJ 6-8 PF (DC) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Yale - VA Tech, GWU, Lehigh, Lafayette, Columbia, Penn, and Robert Morris
- Jimerson , Gibson 6-6 Wing (VA) No Offer ; Committed to St. Louis; Cinci, Richmond, JMU, Stony Brook, High Point, Lehigh, AU, etc
- Johnson , Tate 6-1 PG (NC) No Offer ;
- Johnston , Chase 6-2 SG (FL) BUCKNELL OFFER Nov-2017 ; Committed to Ft. Wayne; UCF, Rice, FGCU, Stetson, Columbia
- Kellman , Keeshawn 6-8 PF (NJ) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Committed to Princeton; Bucknell, Colgate, Navy, Drexel, Lafayette, Hartford, St. Francis; Bison were other finalist.
- Kolaja , Luke 6-8 PF (NJ) BUCKNELL OFFER Jun-2018 ; Class of 2020; Penn
- Leyte , Bas 6-10 PF/C (Netherlands/NH) BUCKNEL L OFFER Apr-2018 ; Reclassified to 2020; Lafayette, Milwaukee, Qpac, Siena
- Lindo , Ricky 6-7 SF/PF (DC) BUCKNELL OFFER Oct-2017 ; Committed to Maryland; GWU, St Louis, CU, Bowling Green, JMU, Lehigh, Loyola, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Brown, Columbia, Canisius, Mt. St. Mary's, High Point, etc. - reclassified
- Mills , Brenton 6-2 CG (TX/NH) BUCKNELL OFFER Jun-2018 ; Boston U, Bryant, Bing, RMU
- Mitchell , Tre 6-9 PF (PA/CT) BUCKNELL OFFER Septemeber 2017 ; Wake, KS State, Xavier,Vandy, Notre Dame, UConn, IL, Pitt, UMass, PSU, Yale, Manhattan, Duq., Mt. St. Marys, Canisius, etc.
- Monroe , Lucas 6-6 Wing (PA) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Penn; La Salle, Stony Brook, Penn, Colgate, Columbia,Boston U, and Lafayette.
- O'Connell , Jacob 6-11 Center (PA) No Offer ; Committed to Princeton; Stony Brook, Columbia - St Joes Prep (Phil.)
- Oduro , Josh 6-8 PF VA BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Committed to GMU; Rice, Towson, Siena, JMU, Quinnipiac, Marist, Loyola (MD), Columbia, NJIT, Longwood, Hampton, Lafayette
- Rhodes , Malachi 6-8 PF GA BUCKNELL OFFER Sep-2018 ; COMMITTED TO BUCKNELL IN SEPTEMBER; FGCU, Wofford, Winthrop, App State, Presbyterian, FIU, Jacksonville State, UNC Asheville, Western Carolina, Chattanooga, CCSU
- Rice , Alexander 6-2 CG NJ BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; COMMITTED TO BUCKNELL IN SEPTEMBER; IL State, Rutgers, Manhattan, Monmouth, Towson, Loyola, UNCG, Penn

- Schlee , Collin 6-3 CG (MD) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Kent State for football; Mt. St. Mary's - same HS as Zach Thomas
- Seymour , Sloan 6-8 SF/PF (NY) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2017 ; Committed to Siena as 2018; St. Johns, URI, Rutgers, St. Joes, South Florida, UMass, Siena, Iona, Vermont, Hofstra, Marist, etc. - many were off the table
Skogman David 6-10 PF /C (WI) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 Rutgers, TX Tech, So. IL, Rice, Canisius, Air Force, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Furman, Lafayette, American, LIU, etc.
- Timmerman , Alex 6-9 Center (IL) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; COMMITTED TO BUCKNELL IN JUNE; Lafayette, W&M, Furman
- van der Heijden , Jake 6-8 PF (NC) BUCKNELL OFFER May-2018 ; COMMITTED TO BUCKNELL IN JULY; Charleston, Lipscomb, Lehigh, Western Carolina, Presbyterian, Columbia
- Wahab , Qudus 6-11 Center (VA) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ;  Louisville, LSU, Seton Hall, St. John's, Gtown, Pitt, VCU, UConn, Syracuse, Clemson, UMass, GMU, St. Joes, Colgate, ODU, Northern IL, etc.
- Watts , Josh 6-4 SG (DC) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Committed to Brown; Columbia, Brown, Marist - Gonzaga HS
- Welch , Tom 6-8 PF (IL) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ;  Committed to Loyola (IL); Ball State, Kent State, Miami (OH), Wofford, Furman, Belmont, Canisius, Brown, Western IL, FAU
- Williams , Brice 6-7 SF NC BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2018 ; Wake Forest; Kansas State, GMU, Bona, Lafayette.
- Wojcik , Paxson 6-4 SG (SC) No Offer ; Committed to Loyola (IL); Miami(OH), Ind. St., Brown, Columbia, DePaul
- Young , Jahmir 6-1 PG (MD) BUCKNELL OFFER Apr-2018 ; Charlotte, LaSalle, Siena, ODU, JMU, Towson, Lehigh, Loyola, MSM, Hampton, UNCG, Coppin, etc - DeMatha HS

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Bison Recruits 2019
12-19-18 12:25 AM - Post#269440    
    In response to Bison137

Going back in time to May of this year:

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

- Seymour , Sloan 6-8 SF/PF (NY) BUCKNELL OFFER Jul-2017 ; Reclassified to 2019; St. Johns, URI, Rutgers, St. Joes, South Florida, UMass, Siena, Iona, Vermont, Hofstra, Marist, etc.

Seymour just committed to Siena and Jamion Christian. Thay have had a number of players transfer out and also a couple decommits, so they definitely need players. Having said that, a number of the Albany-area people who have seen him play have not been impressed. For example:

" In AAU, he was playing with elite talent and wasn’t expected to defend (no one does). All his strengths were accentuated and he was able to be solid as a shooter off the bench — drawing offers (having his dad never hurts). Watch him at Shaker HS and he looks like he might get cut by St Rose. Could he be a useful player for JC? Perhaps, but his motor stinks, he’s virtually useless beyond his 3 point shot, and he didn’t get better from JR to SR year of HS. I would wait on his prep year and see what happens but wouldn’t be the worst gamble you could make in May."

"If he had good committable D1 offers he wouldn’t have prepped. Those P6 schools you named pulled their offers. Don’t know for a fact on the A10’s but I’d guess most were no longer interested too. He was not good this year for Shaker and personally I’m not sold on taking him at Siena. . . Sloan is prepping becasue he isn’t a good basketball player."

• JDBison2010 Said:
With the strong offer list he had, it definitely made me wonder why he would choose to reclassify. Makes sense now

- - - - - - -

This past May there were many questions about Seymour's early high-level offers followed by him not committing and then reclassifying, followed by a last minute decision to go to Siena instead. And also speculation about whether he could have been a decent March pickup by the Bison, so I decided to see how he's been doing. Siena is in full rebuild mode and he has started each game. However his stats are amazing, and I don't mean that in a good way.

- He is a 6-9 PF/SF who has attempted 89 threes and only 7 twos. I don't recall ever seeing that kind of ratio from a big man before. And only very rarely from a SG. Even Bryson Johnson took 1/3 of his shots from inside the arc.
- Seymour is shooting 32.5% on the threes, but only because he had a hot start of the season. He went 11-24 in the first three games, and has been 18-65 (27.7%) since then. Despite the mediocre shooting, he is averaging nine attempted threes per game.
- Despite being 6-9, he has only shot 2 FT's the entire season.
- He is a 6-9 PF who gets less rebounds than the smallest guards. Has 11 rebounds in 11 games/268 minutes. That's 1.0 rpg for a regular starting PF.
- He has 1 steal for the season and 1 block.
- He also has but 3 assists for the season. To his credit, he only has 5 turnovers, but it appears that he isn't at all involved in the offense except to stand beyond the 3-point line and shoot if he gets the ball.
- He also has only 9 fouls in 11 games as a starter. From what I hear, that extraordinarily low number is largely a function of him not staying close enough to his man to foul.
- His minutes have fallen significantly the past three games. Despite Siena having few options, it's hard to believe they can keep starting him with those numbers.

Looking at the above, it's very unlikely he would have seen any playing time this year. And I think both Rhodes and van der Heijden would play ahead of him next year.

Page 9 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.712 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:34 PM