Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell vs Cortland Exhibition        (Topic#20630)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-05-17 05:24 PM - Post#235477    

Cornell beat neighboring Cortland, 96-70, last night.

The game was not available on ILN, but there was a post-game post from Cornell Athletics:

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2017/11/4/mens-b aske...

The box score showed that Stone Gettings and Pat Smith did not play. Matt Morgan did play, but did not start.

The starters were Wil Bathurst at PG, Jack Gordon at SG, Steve Julian at G/F, Jimmy Boeheim at Forward and Josh Warren at Forward.

Morgan had 25 points (including 5-7 from three) in 23 minutes off the bench.
Bathurst had 14 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds
Warren had 10 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds
Julian had 7 points and 7 assists
Jake Kuhn had 10 points and 4 rebounds in 16 minutes off the bench.

The Big Red shot 62% overall, 50% from three and 83% from the free throw line. They outrebounded the Dragons 35-21 (although lost they were outrebounded 7 to 4 on the offensive glass) and held Cortland to 37% shooting, including 20% from three.

http://cortlandreddragons .com/boxscore.aspx?id=648...

It's great that Morgan was not seriously injured in the Red & White scrimmage. However, the absence of Gettings is not a good sign. The front court is deeper than last year, but still inexperienced. Warren did well, but needs to be work on his three point shooting if he is going to cover for Gettings.

Next up for Cornell is a visit to Syracuse on Friday night.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
Re: Cornell vs Cortland Exhibition
11-05-17 06:48 PM - Post#235479    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

The box score showed that Stone Gettings and Pat Smith did not play. Matt Morgan did play, but did not start.

Troy Whiteside also didn't play. He may not be as critical as Stone, but that's 20-25 minutes of solid play at the guard spot.

• rbg Said:

Warren did well, but needs to be work on his three point shooting if he is going to cover for Gettings.

I disagree. Warren isn't a three point shooter -- he took one threeball all last season. It is hard to fathom that he could go from that to a legitimate threat from behind the arc in a single offseason. It's better to have him on the blocks because getting only 4 offensive rebounds out of 25 opportunities against a D3 school is troubling.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-05-17 09:04 PM - Post#235482    
    In response to mountainred

Thanks for picking up that info on Whiteside.

I completely understand your thought on Warren. I was basing the info from the coach's statement during the preseason media call (I believe the question about Warren came from Josh Verlin over at the City of Basketball Love)

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
11-06-17 11:38 AM - Post#235505    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:
Thanks for picking up that info on Whiteside.

I completely understand your thought on Warren. I was basing the info from the coach's statement during the preseason media call (I believe the question about Warren came from Josh Verlin over at the City of Basketball Love)

Got it. I'm just a bit shell-shocked from years of watching Cornell take 35-40% of their shots from behind the arc, but being below-average at making them. Josh was our best offensive rebounder last season according to KenPom; I'm content if he focuses on that.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.203 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:29 PM