Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Villanova Leads Columbia 32-23 at Halftime        (Topic#20659)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-10-17 10:38 PM - Post#235873    

Villanova goes on a 11-4 run in the final three minutes of the first half to go up by nine points at halftime. However, the Lions would be ahead in this game if the just shot the better from the outside. As expected, Coach Engles started a veteran five and then substituted Hunter and Adlesh as well as four freshmen--Faulds, Bibbs, Hanson and Stefanini. All four were impressive in their cameo appearance. There will probably come a time when Columbia's starting five will be Mike Smith and the four aforenamed freshmen. Incidentally, Smith was clearly the best player on the floor for both teams in the first half.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
11-10-17 11:38 PM - Post#235879    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

75-60 final. In addition to Smith, we saw signs of life from Castlin, who has developed an outside shop, Hanson with a couple of spin moves, and Faulds. But Hickman disappeared, Meisner didn't do much, and as expected, we got pushed around inside.

Although we are definitely a work in progress, it is much better to lose by 15 than the 26 that was projected.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
11-11-17 12:40 AM - Post#235891    
    In response to cc66

If Hickman puts in another performance like this he should be dropped from starting and given very limited minutes, if any. He's had poor showings since midway through last season. Faulds had an efficient game but seemed to lack a strong defensive presence. Tape didn't fill the stat sheet as much but looked good and aggressive every time he played. Meisner was disappointing, he seemed to be outmuscled and largely kept out of the action. Smith was outstanding and Castlin was a big boon to us, he seemed to injure his elbow/wrist at the end of the game, hope he is ok and back for our next game. We played with spirit and drive today which is why we only lost by 15.

Biggest rooms for improvement is defensive organization and better ball movement on offense. Both problems stem from far too many substitutions. On defense everyone's chasing the ball becuase roles haven't been well assigned and there are just too many combinations of players on the floor for players to feel confident in their roles. On offense we have too many one man dribble, drive and shoots because the constant substitution prevents a chemistry and positional understanding from forming. This is Engle's Achilles heel as was the case last season. He needs to have more confidence in his better players and have the leadership to disappoint some of his other players. Getting non-garbage time should have a higher bar, and be reserved for fewer players.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
11-11-17 03:49 AM - Post#235895    
    In response to Columbia Alum

Columbia Alum has it as I saw it. This being the first game for so many, it was inevitable that there wouldn't be cohesive O or D, as coaches have to sort out strengths, weaknesses, players get used to each other. Difficult vs. a very talented team.

Stef seemed tough on D, knowledgeable.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
11-11-17 08:21 AM - Post#235898    
    In response to internetter

Regrettably I have to agree about the downward trajectory of Hickman’s game. As a senior I would have expected him to show up last night, and he didn’t. Granted we played one of the best teams in the country and acquitted ourselves well, but we need to face the reality that Castlin is a better player than Hickman, and that we cannot afford to give minutes to Hickman that should be going to one of the younger combo guards. I know it is only one game, but this trend line started last season at crunch time in the Ivy schedule when we went into our tailspin.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-11-17 10:14 AM - Post#235899    
    In response to Chet Forte

Pt #1: As Columbia Alum pointed out, Castlin may have sustained an injury to his elbow/arm near the end of the game. Faulds had to take his foul shots. Hopefully, he is ok.

Pt #2: Hickman needs to go into a room and review the tape of the Army game last year when he scored thirty points. Obviously, whatever he did then, he's not doing now. Hickman should be scoring in double digits every game for Columbia, but starting in mid-season last year he seemed to lose his confidence on offense. Whatever it is, he needs to do what great athletes do when they go into a slump--look at film and figure out what adjustments they need to make.

Pt #3. All four of the freshman that played last night--Faulds, Hanson, Bibbs and Steffanini--struck me as very talented players with huge potential. All four of them exceeded my expectations. Not only that, but they showed no nervousness at all in their first game even though it was against the strongest opponent Columbia will play all season. Congrats to Coach Engles for recruiting these guys! And now, if I were him, I would just sit back and enjoy; i.e. put all four on the court with Mike Smith and let them play together uninterrupted for ten or fifteen minutes near the start of the game so they can build some chemistry.

Pt #4 Patrick Tape is a very talented dude and should be a lethal player in the Ivy League. There might come a time when Engles uses Faulds and Tape together.

Pt #5 My heart sunk when Meissner attempted a three early in the game. Meissner is a great athlete who could be a dominant interior player if he just stayed near the basket.

Pt #6 With Yale's Brunner and Mason injured and Dartmouth's Boudreax calling it quits on his team the day before the season begins, the crazy nature of Ivy League Basketball has risen anew. There is a previously unseen opportunity here for Columbia and its talented freshmen to compete for a top spot in the Ivy League race.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
11-11-17 02:34 PM - Post#235916    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Hickman's downward slide is bewildering. If you watch him when he gets the ball against a good defense, he holds the ball and seems to freeze. I don't know what's happened, but if the pattern continues, Adlesh or Steffani should start instead.

As to Meisner, I was hoping this was the year when he would begin to fulfill his promise. Maybe it was the competition, but he got pushed around last night, and only scored 2 pts.

With injuries and transfers scrambling the league,
we should not have to worry about losing at Dartmouth away, and Yale, while still slotted ahead of us, might be picked off in Levien. If the first years develop, Castlin's okay, and the Meisner/Hickman duo improve, the odds of our making the tournament have just gotten quite a bit better.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.229 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:26 PM