Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Coaching Deficiencies        (Topic#20670)
Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
11-13-17 03:31 PM - Post#236133    

Watching the game I kept thinking to myself that Steve Donahue was being outcoached. But I'm struggling to see how exactly he was outcoached. The reality is that we play a high variance strategy relying on lots of 3s. If we hit them at an acceptable rate, we win. If we don't, we lose. I'm open to the idea of a "backup plan" when 3s aren't falling but I'd like STATS people to cite examples of this.

Because here's the thing, if you have a plan that says we should shoot a bunch of 3s if we're open, and you continue to be open, I'm not sure you should deviate from the plan just cus you went, say, 4 for 20. I don't know that there's data that says streakiness works that way. Maybe it works for an individual player - if you're a career 40% 3 point shooter and you go 1-10, maybe you need to stop shooting, but I'm not convinced and don't know why you would assume all your players can't hit and therefore not just sub in a different guard.

I think in the Dunphy days, we won when we had more talent, lost when we had less. We didn't shoot a ton of 3s and we also had a demonstrably huge gap between us and other Ivies. Now we win some games I don't expect us to win and lose some I don't expect to lose and are generally in the middle of the pack in the Ivies and not "clearly" better/worse than many of the Ivy teams. We may just have to accept that.

Also, couple other things:

1. Q03, Woods came in on two different occasions in the 2nd half. Made no impact.

2. I really liked the way Pennsive phrased the idea of similar guards. We have a bunch of not very tall guards. The answer isn't to play a bunch, it's to the two best and play them (ideally not together but with a little overlap, not unlike Max and AJ on the other end of spectrum.) Antonio Woods may well be a better individual player than Caleb/Jackson/Hamilton/Sc ott. But if he's not better than Foreman, and data shows demonstrably he isn't, or Goodman then he shouldn't play that much. And, as you guys told me so often, Donahue NOT playing him that much "must" be evidence I'm right.

3. Speaking of short guards, if I never see another one of our guards jumping to throw a pass to the other guard and over outstretched hands of token pressure, that would be okay with me. sheesh.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Coaching Deficiencies
11-13-17 05:34 PM - Post#236146    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:
if I never see another one of our guards jumping to throw a pass to the other guard and over outstretched hands of token pressure, that would be okay with me. sheesh.

Seriously. Doesn't anyone teach their players to use ball fakes any more?

Observer 
Freshman

Reg: 11-26-04
Re: Coaching Deficiencies
11-13-17 05:35 PM - Post#236147    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Where I saw coaching deficiencies was on the defensive end.

1) Darnell, Jackson and Devon could not contain Nelson (30 points) and the coaches made no adjustments. Antonio was never in the game long enough to see what he could have done. I suspect his strength could have been beneficial against Nelson.

2) With the three guard lineup, one of the small guards were often physically over matched when they had to defend one of Fairfield's forwards.

3) Why didn't the coaches consider switching Ryan onto Nelson or even giving Eddie Scott more minutes to try and see if his size and length could have disrupted the 6'3" Nelson.

4) Donahue had Ryan matched up frequently against Fairfield's bigger and stronger forwards. Case in point 6'8" Methnani (20 points). Ryan left his heart out on the court. The coaches should have at least given him some minutes where he wasn't physically banged around on the defensive end.

5) AJ needs help underneath and he wasn't getting it from Max. I know Jarrod's only a freshman but in the couple of minutes he had on the floor he was active, hustled and showed his potential. His height and wingspan could have helped.

The bottom line is, a coach is supposed to put his players in a position to win. That was not the case on Saturday. To my eyes Donahue and his staff let the kids down.

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
11-14-17 03:26 PM - Post#236289    
    In response to Observer

If we hit our free throws at a reasonable rate, we win.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-14-17 03:41 PM - Post#236294    
    In response to yoyo

LaSalle missed two critical front ends of one and ones and we didn't lose that game on the line.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
11-14-17 04:44 PM - Post#236311    
    In response to palestra38

I don't think that you can count on Penn making their free throws at a reasonable rate.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
11-14-17 04:47 PM - Post#236313    
    In response to Penn7277

In the overtime, Penn missed lots of front and back ends. That allowed LaSalle to trade two points for one and allowed them to build a lead that Penn could not get back to a tie.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.202 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:38 AM