Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Slip and Jones        (Topic#20679)
fdiapmf 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-03-05
11-14-17 11:39 PM - Post#236356    

what happened to these guys? Jones had a real nice looking 3 point shot and should be able to knock down corner 3s.

Wasn't Silpe a big time get for us? he doesn't even get into games now?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
11-14-17 11:40 PM - Post#236357    
    In response to fdiapmf

Need to play defense too my friend.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-15-17 01:14 AM - Post#236361    
    In response to PennFan10

But it's proven that Jones is a plus defender!

Basketball Bruce 86
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-17
01-24-18 06:13 PM - Post#244546    
    In response to Penndemonium

Nice article today in the Inquirer about Jake. Here's what Mark Narducci wrote in his City Six Report:

In the 60-51 loss to Temple on Saturday, junior guard Jake Silpe, from Cherry Hill East, played a season-high 15 minutes and had three assists, two steals, two rebounds and no turnovers for the Quakers (12-6, 3-0 Ivy).

“We have a good record, but I am not satisfied where we are,” coach Steve Donahue said when asked about Silpe’s increased playing time. “Somebody who plays well in practice continually and done what he has done deserves a chance, and I think he makes us a better team.”
Silpe started 20 games as a freshman but has seen limited action since. This season, he has appeared in eight games.

“What he has been through, starting as a freshman, not playing for a long time and never losing perspective of what he needs to do in whatever role he is in, I am just proud of him as a kid, and that is how our program is,” Donahue said. “If you do it, I will reward you if it makes us better.”

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-24-18 06:20 PM - Post#244547    
    In response to Basketball Bruce

As an interested enemy observer, I never got the pressure from Penn fans to get Silpe off the court. He was the only natural PG on the team (able to dribble in traffic on moves other than drives to the rim, passing well off the dribble, etc.), he was tossed to the wolves as a freshman and still played pretty well, and he seemed to offer on-court leadership and intensity.

He made mistakes sometimes as a young player, but they tended to come from him trying to make plays and to stay involved--if he was out there, he was trying to make something happen rather than drifting along. Probably his biggest weaknesses were defensive, and maybe that justified his exile, but it seemed strange to me the way he just disappeared from the rotation.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-24-18 06:49 PM - Post#244550    
    In response to SRP

Actually, his troubles on offense are twofold:

1) An inability to hit a shot
2) Getting into trouble when close to the basket. Really getting lost in the trees a la Klatsky.

His big plusses on offense are seeing the floor and making excellent passes that no-one else can.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
01-24-18 06:51 PM - Post#244551    

And Goodman didn’t play. Sick? Injured? Or did Jake get his minutes by out-practicing him?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-24-18 07:17 PM - Post#244554    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I thought Silpe's ill-advised drives into the trees were occasioned by the chaotic state of Penn's offense in the old days. A good passer with no open guys (or open guys in bad places) might end up forcing the issue, especially when lacking in experience. Even then, when he didn't pick up his dribble he could sometimes get out of trouble from under the rim (a circular dribble path through the lane against the Tigers springs to mind, but he got out of sticky situations at other times too).

Obviously, it would have helped him a lot to be a great shooter, which he was not. But when Penn was in turnover hell it seemed odd not to have the best distributor PG getting any minutes. In fact, I'm kind of surprised that he's getting minutes now given that the Quakers have cut down on their TOs so much.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-24-18 11:42 PM - Post#244587    
    In response to SRP

I'm pretty sure Goodman doesn't get in because he won't play defense. SD has said his best defenders will play. That's his starting 5. Jake has worked hard (per SD's comments) in practice to be a great defender. He showed that against Temple. And now there are a few more shotmakers on the floor I believe it suits Jake's game more.

Defense is almost all about effort and desire.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-25-18 08:57 AM - Post#244595    
    In response to PennFan10

I’m not sure defense is the issue for Goodman. It appeared to me that he played against Princeton and Columbia specifically to guard Cannady and Smith. Those aren’t assignments for a guy who won’t play defense. He hasn’t seen the court since making a very lazy pass that led to a breakaway and easy dunk for Stefanini midway through the first half against Columbia.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-25-18 09:05 AM - Post#244597    
    In response to SRP

If you go back and read comments a few weeks ago before he started getting some run you'll see that many of us wanted him to get a fair shot. We saw what you saw, especially for a team with no true PG. I expect things to get even more interesting with Jake finally in the mix.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
01-25-18 09:09 AM - Post#244600    
    In response to Quakers03

His name is Silpe, not (Freudian) Slip. Goodman, Rothschild and Silpe sounds like a Center City law firm.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Slip and Jones
01-25-18 11:37 AM - Post#244626    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I’m not sure defense is the issue for Goodman. It appeared to me that he played against Princeton and Columbia specifically to guard Cannady and Smith. Those aren’t assignments for a guy who won’t play defense. He hasn’t seen the court since making a very lazy pass that led to a breakaway and easy dunk for Stefanini midway through the first half against Columbia.

He played 12 minutes vs Princeton and 4 vs Columbia. I think he was put in there because his profile matches up against those guys and if he was a great defender, I am sure he would have played a lot more than he did.

SD is playing his best defensive team consistently and putting in role players for offense. That's been his mantra since mid last year really. If Dev Goodman was one of the best defensive players on this team he would play significant minutes. That's clearly why Jake is on the floor, his defense has become too good to ignore and his floor presence has always been a positive. The other way to get on the floor is have a very specific offensive skill set (see Sam Jones/Caleb Wood, etc).

Edited by PennFan10 on 01-25-18 11:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
01-25-18 12:10 PM - Post#244634    
    In response to PennFan10

I like Silpe and am glad he is getting a shot at more minutes. I just wish he could shoot a little bit.

palestra38 
Professor

01-25-18 12:15 PM - Post#244639    
    In response to yoyo

That is the entire issue---his shot looked terrible in the Temple game, just as the rest of his game looked markedly improved. We don't have enough shooting to carry him for major minutes, though against teams that shoot better than Temple.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-25-18 12:59 PM - Post#244648    
    In response to palestra38

Jake's shot is better this year than last, and I expect we will see that in the coming games. That said, if we are counting on Jake to score we have bigger issues. This team, more broadly, is at it's worst when they can't score. And they have gone through long stretches of games without scoring. Certainly that (and FT's are part of that) is the Achilles heel of these Quakers. Team's that can play defense and can score will give us issues. This is not the most talented team in the league, but they may play the best and win.

Basketball Bruce 86
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-17
01-28-18 03:26 PM - Post#245007    
    In response to PennFan10

http://www.theempireofphilacollegebb all.com/penn/j...

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/s...

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-28-18 05:29 PM - Post#245018    

Ironic that Jake played a key role a year ago against Temple and then inexplicably disappeared from the rotation (literally) the rest of the season. This year he reappeared against Temple and is now a solid part of the rotation (hopefully). Keep plugging Jake.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-28-18 10:35 PM - Post#245044    
    In response to PennFan10

Glad to see him back in play. He seems like he'd be a lock starter if he could shoot better. I always thought he'd get there. Years ago, I envisioned him as an Ivy League version of Steve Nash. I guess my expectations were a bit high.

If we could meld the best of Silpe, Woods, Goodman, and Foreman, we'd have a pretty interesting point guard but still wouldn't have a great shooter. Maybe we'd need mix Wood in there too.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.258 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:03 AM