Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Manhattan        (Topic#20701)
84grad 
Junior

Reg: 11-09-17
11-19-17 03:40 PM - Post#236953    

At the game in Riverdale yesterday. Game that should have been won, but Manhattan’s hot shooting and the rather creative first half lineups were enough to give us 2nd straight L. Disappointed with the result, but saw plenty I like. It’s early, and we’ll find out more in California.

Didn’t mind the starter punishment at the beginning after a lackluster game at HC. But the continued use of makeshift lineups seemed like overkill and put the team in a big hole (which they admirably dug out of in second half). Manhattan’s shooting was obviously the other major factor, although the defense conceded too many open locks in the first half. The defense picked up in the second half, but Manhattan made some tough shots.

Aiken is being forced to do too much at this point. Perhaps Tommy’s return (someone told me fifth hand his absence is due to a concussion) will give him some needed relief. Rio is clearly athletic and did reasonably well handling the ball, but until he gets more experience he really shouldn’t be the only other ball-handling option.

Impressed with Djuricic’s energy in battling for rebounds. He’s got the 3 point shot to go with that and both will make him the valuable contributor that MJ predicted that he would be a long time ago.

Lewis was clearly underutilized yesterday. The team really needs to make a big commitment to getting him the ball. He missed on a bunch of opportunities against Holy Cross, but looked much better yesterday (especially against the backup center).

Two consecutive games where Bassey has been offensive liability (6 TOs vs. HC and 0 points yesterday). While I understand his defensive contributions, I would like to see his minutes reduced to no more than 20. Offense becomes lethargic when he’s on the court with other low usage types.

Towns continues to display all sorts of ability, but I always expect him to take over the game. While I recognize the PF issues, he needs to be taking it to the basket more. Perhaps when Corey’s shooting picks up things will open up more.

Have to hope Egi takes a step forward this year (he’ll need to). My understanding is he’s close. At a minimum, he’s a big body.

IMHO, Perez does not need to take a step forward to be an important piece of the puzzle. I thought his absence last year during the final two weekends was very costly. Don’t know what the issue is. He is a high energy guy and would have been a perfect lineup insertion while the starters were being forced to sit in the corner yesterday.

I’m off to Fullerton next week. At least there’s no pressure to need a win on Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-19-17 07:01 PM - Post#236956    
    In response to 84grad

Great observations 84Grad. I was there as well and completely agree with your observations.

Manhattan's starting center is very athletic, but their backup ended up on the court with Lewis a lot, leading to Chris scoring 12 points on 4-4 shooting (and 4-4 FT). Unfortunately, I only seem to recall Harvard posting Lewis a couple of time. Even if Manhattan collapsed the zone on him, there would have been good outside looks.

I agree with the article from NYC Buckets. Tommy made his point by sitting the starters. Probably cost Harvard a game, but it could be better for the long term.

The other thing I would add is that both Holy Cross and Manhattan pressed the entire game, ostensibly to wear down Bryce. Harvard generally breaks the press, then slows down and sets up a half court offense. In the second half, Harvard erased a 15 point deficit by continuing to the hoop once it broke the press. If your opponent is willing to overplay and gamble, I was taught that you have to make them pay by taking advantage of it.

I too think that Harvard will be fine, but the ceiling for this year may be lower than initially thought.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
11-20-17 12:43 AM - Post#236972    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Thoughts and TA quotes from yesterday:
http://www.nycbuckets.com/2017/11/manhattan-73- har...

@HDG, fully agree with the point about pressing the advantage after beating pressure. That's something the B-team lineup clearly couldn't do, but Towns was terrific in attacking the 3-on-2 / 4-on-3 situations that came out of it.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-20-17 04:10 PM - Post#237041    
    In response to whitakk

Manhattan went out and shot 3-for-20 from three against a terrible UMKC team and lost. UMKC shot 9-for-18. Roll them dice.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-20-17 05:23 PM - Post#237052    
    In response to mrjames

Wow!
Holy Cross and Manhattan shot lights out in first halves against Crimson!

Hoping law of averages works out

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
11-21-17 12:06 AM - Post#237147    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Wow!
Holy Cross and Manhattan shot lights out in first halves against Crimson!

Hoping law of averages works out

How much of this was lackluster D by Crimson, how much was just plain good shooting by the opponents?

I ask because Coach TA always says "Defense is our calling card." and just wondering if this team can't lock down like teams from 2010-2015?

Any statistical or anecdotal information someone cares to share?

Thanks.

84grad 
Junior

Reg: 11-09-17
11-21-17 09:27 AM - Post#237156    
    In response to H78

Thought the first half defense was poor throughout with lots of open looks. Defense was much better in second half, but Manhattan hit a lot of tough shots.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-21-17 12:53 PM - Post#237199    
    In response to 84grad

Agree with you about defense.

In last two games Harvard allowed 40.5 in first halves and 32.5 in second halves. Probably would be a larger difference if Harvard hadn't needed to foul in the closing minute of each game.

Holy Cross/Manhattan shot 59% in first halves, 11-15 on three's.

Apparently, CIT MidMajor poll only watches second halves/OT of Harvard games. Still ranked 15th. Princeton and Yale dropped out of top 25.

Went to see Legends Classic at Barclays Center. Oklahoma State shooting guard is Lindy Waters III. I recall he was headed to Harvard at one point. Would have fit nicely with Bryce.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-21-17 01:46 PM - Post#237212    

Good news is that’s just random noise. I’d believe more of what you saw in the second half than the first half from a “repeatable skill” standpoint...

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-21-17 02:06 PM - Post#237217    
    In response to mrjames

Tend to agree with you Mike, although that may not turn around quickly as Wooden tournament is stocked with good teams. Harvard ranked 5th of the 8 participants when I looked.

I am concerned that aggressive early D that leads to foul trouble for any of Bryce, Chris or Seth is problematical. Maybe the return of Tommy McCarthy and Chris Egi as well as the defensive/shooting skills of Djuricic will help in that regard.

Shame that Chatfield and Perez aren't able to contribute.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-22-17 12:34 PM - Post#237335    

Harvard has now played 3 close games that were all one possession games with Harvard possessing the ball in the closing seconds. To me, the telling stat is that Harvard has shot 29.2% from three on the season. This is far from trivial as Harvard shot 29 three's against Holy Cross (8 makes) and 30 (9 makes) against Manhattan.

Returning players on this 2017-18 roster shot three's at at 37.3% rate last season. Freshmen Djuricic and Haskett are supposedly great and good from long range. Mathematically, average shooting on just three point shots could have provided Harvard with roughly 8 more points in each game.

Certainly, winning close games against teams ranked 227 and 257 in Kenpom is not impressive. However, both games were on the road and this is a very young team early in its season. Corey Johnson (a Junior) is the only upperclassman to see the court. Freshmen and Sophomores have played 90% of the minutes thus far, scoring 92% of points, grabbing 93% of the rebounds, and handing out 93% of the assists. Egi and McCarthy should be back, but I've gotta believe that Harvard plays close to the youngest lineup in all of college basketball - especially for non-'one and done' programs.

Would certainly feel better heading into the St. Mary's 4-0, but maybe the law of averages can start working in our favor - on national TV on Thanksgiving!

Go Crimson!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.5 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:41 PM