Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: SFBN        (Topic#20703)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-19-17 07:56 PM - Post#236958    

One forward, two back. A winnable game against an equally young team. Turnovers killed. Still, a growing experience. D was an issue. That said, SF was incredible from 3. They also played Manhattan tougher than Harvard did.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: SFBN
11-19-17 11:21 PM - Post#236967    
    In response to Old Bear

I went to the game with one of my sons and it was fun to watch. Again give Brown credit for playing tough on the road with such a young team. SF was on fire at times and went in streaks but Brown had three good shots from three to win or tie in the last minute. They just didn’t drop.

St. Francis has some very good young talent of their own. They’re a team on the rise. They impressed me. But they left the door open with a lot of missed free throws.

Defense had a few lapses and we weren’t particularly strong on the boards. Turnovers killed - we were challenged to overcome the ball pressure and aggressive defense from SF - at times didn’t handle that great. Some youthful mistakes in the final minute intentionally fouling SF twice when they didn’t need to. So, some bugs.

But loved the comeback after being down double digits midway through the 2nd half. And again, young team in the road in a tight game. I liked more than I disliked. And this one really could have gone either way.

The thing we did best was play aggressively on offense. Pushed the tempo. We’re going to score this year. Great to see Hunsaker break out with a very heady game. And Anderson was probably the best player on the court.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
11-20-17 06:26 AM - Post#236973    
    In response to Bruno

Nice game report, Bruno. I'll lean on the positives and figure we'll tighten up the negatives. Backcourt and wings is where most talent resides. Hopefully the bigs can focus on rebounding, screening, and passing to the scorers. Surprised Erebor didn't see minutes so he can continue his development. He's been grabbing rebounds in the few minutes he has played.

Bears03 
Freshman

Reg: 02-23-12
11-20-17 12:59 PM - Post#237005    
    In response to Old Bear

Encouraging loss, if that's a thing. The guys played great 95% of the time, but they're young, and the small mental lapses hurt.

The defense looked better than I expected. Their spot up shooter (lanky freshman #14 Jalen Jordan) made our guards pay a few times when they got caught going under screens or helping on penetration. Fixable.

Anderson looked great all night, ran the show on offense and defense. Notable decline in production when he was off the court. May need more set plays when Sullivan or Hunsaker are at point. We were up 1 with 2 minutes left and Anderson got stung on a 10 second backcourt call as he walked the ball up. That hurt, but easily fixable mental lapse.

I liked what I saw from Choh, he plays big and quick. Had a bad turnover after a SF basket due to pressure stepping inbounds with it. Easy fix, but it resulted in a made 3 next possession.

Couple of fouls down the stretch it looked like Mike didn't want, and still had 3 good looks to win or tie it.

This team has much more upside than downside, and could steal some wins on any given night to get in playoff contention.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-20-17 01:05 PM - Post#237007    
    In response to Bears03

Okolie will help.

Bears03 
Freshman

Reg: 02-23-12
11-20-17 01:08 PM - Post#237008    
    In response to JBears

• JBears Said:
Hopefully the bigs can focus on rebounding, screening, and passing to the scorers.

Fuller had a couple of good post moves with finishes, including a nice sweeping sky hook. DeWolf added some strong minutes on D.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
11-20-17 01:54 PM - Post#237017    
    In response to Bears03

Good point Bears03. Fuller improved his inside game during last season. If he can continue that trend line he'll give us an inside scoring option. He plays under control and is methodical in his approach. But he's expanding his offensive game and that will a welcomed addition.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
11-20-17 02:23 PM - Post#237026    
    In response to Bears03

DeWolf is one big body. Had a big dunk on their big man.

There's acutally a lot of tight calls on who starts on this team. Interesting that DeWolf starts over Fuller, who is the more well-rounded player at this stage. But maybe Mike likes that early substitution and feels Fuller is more effective coming in. Fuller is really, really good with his back to the basket by the way.

The more I think about Okolie's return, the more I think he may come off the bench. I bet Howard continues to start - he is showing that he can play that stretch 4 on offense well. But I sense that they want Cambridge out there and that he's a rhythm guy who is better suited to start. (His missed breakaway dunk was easily the biggest laugh of the game. He'll make those mistakes this year. )
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.246 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:50 PM