Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Lafayette        (Topic#20719)
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-21-17 10:44 PM - Post#237307    

52pt win two years ago at Jadwin and a 16pt win at Lafayette last year. Lafayette continues to play an incredibly challenging schedule. Klinewski, 6'8" senior, has been their best player the last two years. Similar player with a better inside game than St. Joe's freshmen who killed Tigers last weekend.

Needless to say, Tigers need to get their confidence back and after Lafayette, they have FDU (away) and Legigh (home) -- time to get to a 3-3 record.

Ivy League continues to struggle in week #2. Hopefully, the proper word is just disappointing rather than the teams not being all that good. Still early but ..... not pretty.

jadwinjungle 
Freshman

Reg: 10-02-17
11-21-17 11:49 PM - Post#237313    
    In response to bradley

IMO these next 3 are must wins for the Tigers to get some kind of confidence going heading into an extremely challenging December with Miami, GW, Monmouth, USC, and the Hawaii tournament all still looming.

Would be nice to get a big win tomorrow where the role players can see some shots go in.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-22-17 10:05 AM - Post#237323    
    In response to jadwinjungle

It was interesting that Henderson identified the turning point to last season being the Monmouth 96-90 loss followed by the win against a good Bucknell team at Bucknell. The Monmouth game followed the St. Joe's debacle at Jadwin. Lafayette, FDU and Lehigh games probably do not meet the acid test as to providing a turn around although these games can restore some level of confidence as you point out. A loss or losses would to Lafayette or FDU would be a whole different story.

It is also interesting that the Coach did not describe any of the statistical measurements as to why there was a turnaround other than the "will to win" last year. He did comment that the additional minutes for Myles Stephens was a significant factor to the turnaround.

So far, the Tigers have not yet displayed the will to win even though there were opportunities during the first three games but it is still very early. It will be interesting to see if Harvard capitalizes on its play against Manhattan during the second half as a defining moment or will they continue to muddle on. At some point and time, good teams with talented players need to put a stake in the ground if they get off to an indifferent start.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-22-17 10:43 AM - Post#237328    
    In response to bradley

Too much Hollywood and melodrama here. The coaches and players just have to figure how to best work together to use their collective talents. Confidence will come when that is achieved.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

11-22-17 09:04 PM - Post#237399    
    In response to Tiger69

A truly awful half against a mediocre, at best, opponent. When we missed several wide open shots early in the half, Amir Bell decided to play one on one ball (with one nice exception where he set up Aririguzoh with an open dunk) with less than success. I'm sorry to say that Alec Brennan is still playing like a freshman and I cringe whenever he gets the ball inside. Desrosiers is still a dissappointment. There seems to be no flow with this team. Much work to be done. If we manage to lose this game, it will be very disappointing

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
11-22-17 09:06 PM - Post#237400    
    In response to Tiger69

Henderson uses 12 players in the first half, Cannady with 14 but Bell and Stephens are scoreless - remaining 9 players with 13 points, to be down 29-27. Henderson seems to be asking who wants minutes, who wants to step up?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

11-22-17 09:40 PM - Post#237406    
    In response to umbrellaman

LeBlanc, then Much, stepping forward. Finally. Sit Bell until mid season (when he finally got going last year).

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
11-22-17 10:19 PM - Post#237411    
    In response to Tiger69

Much appears to have arrived. Hope to catch the replay, took me all of the second half to figure out they have an app and that the mobile browser doesn‘t work.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Lafayette
11-22-17 10:34 PM - Post#237414    
    In response to umbrellaman

Another brutal half of basketball but the team came out of the break firing and playing better defense. The interior defense in first half was woeful but a little better in the 2nd half. I'm afraid that Brennan is as soft inside on D as he is weak inside on O. Stephens seemed like he was not feeling well and was substituted for frequently. Bell's shooting is way off--similar to the start of last year but I'm sure his touch will return. Cannady was terrific as usual. And it looks like Much has arrived!

Anyone have news on Gladson?!

Edited by TigerFan on 11-22-17 10:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-23-17 03:18 AM - Post#237429    
    In response to TigerFan

Brennan has always been a perimeter player on offense and a good help defender but so-so primary post defender. He is a stretch four, not a center, and has constantly been forced to play out of position. I didn't think he was that terrible in this game, but he is not going to be effective playing back to the basket or defending players whose backs are to the basket.

It was great to see Much look like the touted recruit he is. Without the swarming athletic defenders he faced in the first three games, his confidence blossomed and he was able to get good looks. LeBlanc had a terrific game as well, tipping balls, diving on the floor, grabbing rebounds, and hitting some open shots. This might be the best game I've seen from Aririguzoh as well, perhaps because he got a lot of PT.

The defense was better in the second half--the Leopard big man hardly got any shots after dominating in the first half--but aside from good rebounding, I didn't see much to get excited about. Lafayette missed a number of good looks in the second half and except for a couple of spurts there wasn't enough ball pressure to get them uncomfortable. The fouling did drop off in the second half and that helped a lot.

Good confidence booster for the team, with two of the big three not scoring much and other guys picking up the slack. Moreover, even when shots were missed, almost every possession yielded a good look (sometimes passed up) and there was better ball movement overall and good passing from a number of different players, which is always a good sign. If they can just be more aggressive defensively from the get-go as far as chasing teams off the three-point line, getting hands on the basketball, and collapsing/helping inside then they will be tough to beat.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-23-17 08:22 AM - Post#237435    
    In response to SRP

The Tigers appeared out of sync on offense for most of the game including Bell and surprisingly Stephens. Cannady played well once again and is bringing energy to the floor both ways as is LeBlanc. LeBlanc appears to be earning the fourth regular spot on the floor based on his defense, rebounding and 3 pt shot. 5th spot may eventually be Much/Arirguzoh although it would be good to see if Gladson adds something to the mix although Arirguzoh may become the primary center with Much/LeBlanc sharing time. Everyone else including Brennan, Young, Morales and other freshmen appear to be question marks although Young may become primary 3rd guard.

Lafayette is not very good so it is tough to judge although overall sense was that Tigers' play was not very good. Work-in-progress but a lot of work needs to be done.

Will be a challenging season but it is very early.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
11-23-17 09:10 AM - Post#237438    
    In response to bradley

I agree that Aririguzoh may earn a starting spot.

Gladson did not play low post in high school, and did not see much (any?) time there last year. I see him more as a Brase type player.

We need a low post defender--both NCAA teams had such a player. Hope is fading that we will recruit one for next years class, but Aririguzoh was a very late recruit.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

11-23-17 11:41 AM - Post#237448    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Rotation for now: Stephens, Cannady, Leblanc, Aririguzoh, Young starters, with Bell and Much off bench after a short look. Then Gladson, if healthy, followed by Morales, Desrosiers, Schwiegert and Brennan in no particular order as they gain seasoning and confidence. That's an eight man rotation with three more developing for the future and Brennan in the hope that he will finally break out with some assertion in his three point value when unguarded.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-23-17 12:30 PM - Post#237457    
    In response to Tiger69

I really doubt that Coach is going to take Bell out of the starting line up as he is a senior and co-captain although if he continues to shoot poorly -- it is possible down the road but Amir is probably going to be on a long leash.

It will be interesting to see how Harvard plays against St. Mary's, #21 rank, today. Crimson are 12 pt underdogs. Tigers will be playing highly ranked teams, Miami and USC in the not too distant future. Always a good measuring stick when playing very strong competition. The "dream" of a 2 team IL representation at the Big Dance will be tested out in non-coonference play.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-23-17 01:23 PM - Post#237461    
    In response to bradley

You may still be dreaming of 2bid Ivy, but I'm assuming you plan on waking up for 2018-19. Early OOC losses by Tigers and Crimson and Eli's injuries sealed the deal already.

bradley 
PhD Student

11-23-17 01:30 PM - Post#237467    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I am dreaming and kidding although the 2 bid IL representation theory was one of the arguing points by IL Tournament advocates as you may remember.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-23-17 02:35 PM - Post#237472    
    In response to bradley

I remember too well.
I'm not nor was I ever a fan of the Tournament. Once Penn wins it at the Palestra as a #4 seed things will be rethought.
If HYP keep struggling, could be this year.

84grad 
Junior

Reg: 11-09-17
11-23-17 02:51 PM - Post#237473    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Couldn’t agree more re: tourney. As a Harvard fan, I remember leaving the Columbia loss last year and feeling like it was no big deal. Normally I would have been depressed, and the fact that I wasn’t was confirmation of what the tournament takes away from the 14 game tournament. Like most sports fans, masochism is an undeniable part of why we like the games so much. I love the Palestra, but once a year is enough for me. The regular season champ is good enough for the European soccer leagues, and I always was happy that the Ivy League was the last holdout.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-23-17 03:13 PM - Post#237475    
    In response to 84grad

Good news is that it won’t be The Palestra in 2019. Imagine it’ll be at The Palestra a lot going forward, but this is the last year in succession.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-23-17 04:46 PM - Post#237483    
    In response to mrjames

Can I make my reservations at Mohegan Sun yet?

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.607 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:27 AM