Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Penn v Missouri-Kansas City        (Topic#20722)
penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-22-17 06:53 PM - Post#237382    
    In response to 91Quake

Well, the good news is that Foreman is not our 3rd best player out there tonight.

tguru 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-10-05
11-22-17 06:58 PM - Post#237384    
    In response to penn nation

Brutal down the stretch, including the tweetie birds.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-22-17 06:58 PM - Post#237385    
    In response to 91Quake

On a different note, I assume we paid to play in this thing, right? There's no way the organizers could possibly make any money otherwise. I thought that our old nemesis Florida Gulf Coast would be in it, but apparently not. For all the people that have shown up for this thing, I'm surprised that they bothered with even a minor-league arena; a decent high school gym would have served just as well and cost less.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

penn nation 
Professor

Re: Penn v Missouri-Kansas City
11-22-17 07:28 PM - Post#237387    

Glad he finally got the wakeup call out there. Woods and Foreman are just incredibly inefficient scorers, when they do manage to score at all.

• penn nation Said:
Donahue is worthless out there.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
Reg: 11-21-04
11-22-17 08:00 PM - Post#237388    

Once again, decent foul shooting could have put this away.

penn nation 
Professor

11-22-17 08:04 PM - Post#237390    
    In response to Penn7277

Not exactly a strong finish. But we survive.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
11-22-17 08:05 PM - Post#237391    

Darnell could have made it a lot easier by just hitting one free throw at the end.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-22-17 08:13 PM - Post#237392    
    In response to Penn7277

Looked like a tired team

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
11-22-17 09:08 PM - Post#237401    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Final FTs not withstanding, Foreman had a heck of a game. We don't win it without him. Can't say that about the other PGs.

Let's welcome Jackson Donahue back into the merry-go-round at guard.

FTs will cost us games. Book it.

Good : Foreman, Brodeur, Betley, Donahue
Bad : Goodman
Ugly : Woods
Neither Bad nor Good : Wood (some good moments early but nothing late), Rothschild (would be good if not for all the costly TOs)

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-22-17 11:51 PM - Post#237423    
    In response to TheLine

Pretty ugly finish but I'll take an ugly win versus a pretty loss any day.

Agree with Asia they look tired and still played a pretty short bench. Nice to see Donahue really come to life and save the day in the second half stretch.

Hope that Simmons and Scott can get up to speed to take more time and that Williams can come in quickly after he is cleared for action (I'm hoping he is the best of the class because we need it).

Max has definitely improved and love the energy/passion, but one thing concerning with the current approach... Max is taking by far the largest % of possessions... 26% more than AJ had last year. That just has to change. Betley is 21.5% and AJ is way down at 18.4%. Those number should be flipped and we have to find a way to do that. Also worried about the affect on Block% which has fallen off with AJ dragged outside more and that is missing from this defense.

Hope Coachella Donahue can figure it out, because isn't quite right yet.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Penn v Missouri-Kansas City
11-23-17 12:33 AM - Post#237425    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Final FTs not withstanding, Foreman had a heck of a game. We don't win it without him. Can't say that about the other PGs.

Let's welcome Jackson Donahue back into the merry-go-round at guard.

FTs will cost us games. Book it.

Good : Foreman, Brodeur, Betley, Donahue
Bad : Goodman
Ugly : Woods
Neither Bad nor Good : Wood (some good moments early but nothing late), Rothschild (would be good if not for all the costly TOs)

No one benefited more from facing sub-6-ft. defenders in this game than Foreman.

Meanwhile the volume of ridiculous turnovers from the entire backcourt rotation continues to astound.

Trying to decide what was my favorite: was it Antonio losing control of the ball in an unforced situation on a between the legs dribble near the midcourt line, leading to him falling on his butt and then kicking at the ball in an attempt to prevent a breakaway?

Or was it Darnell penetrating below the elbow, seeing Jackson D. on the wing with a wide open baseline available to him, and then throwing an innacurate pass to J.D. that he had to reach behind himself to catch, so that he was in no position to make an easy uncontested layup. So instead he drove, left his feet against a double team ready to block his shot attempt, and in desperation threw a pass off Max’s ankles that bounced away.

Quality D-I level play either way.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 11-23-17 12:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-23-17 01:18 AM - Post#237428    
    In response to Mike Porter

Can't agree more with regards to Max. He has improved a lot and I give him kudos for that. But he plays so aggressively on offense that he forgets that he is not one of our best options. It would be far better for us if he would clear space for Brodeur and take dump-offs when his man leaves to double Brodeur. Max has a few decent moves, but does not finish strong enough to be relied on as a one-on-one scorer. Stop the shot-hogging!

• Mike Porter Said:
Pretty ugly finish but I'll take an ugly win versus a pretty loss any day.

Agree with Asia they look tired and still played a pretty short bench. Nice to see Donahue really come to life and save the day in the second half stretch.

Hope that Simmons and Scott can get up to speed to take more time and that Williams can come in quickly after he is cleared for action (I'm hoping he is the best of the class because we need it).

Max has definitely improved and love the energy/passion, but one thing concerning with the current approach... Max is taking by far the largest % of possessions... 26% more than AJ had last year. That just has to change. Betley is 21.5% and AJ is way down at 18.4%. Those number should be flipped and we have to find a way to do that. Also worried about the affect on Block% which has fallen off with AJ dragged outside more and that is missing from this defense.

Hope Coachella Donahue can figure it out, because isn't quite right yet.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-23-17 07:36 AM - Post#237432    
    In response to Mike Porter

Max seldom gets doubled and he should take the ball to the basket every time he isn't.

The team played a sloppy game last night and everyone except Jackson showed the effects of playing 3 straight days (obviously he was fairly fresh from limited minutes).

Antonio had a nightmarish game, AJ missed a couple bunnies, Wood was off and Betley went hard but was less effective than the night before.

The ball movement actually looks pretty good. This team obviously can be defended (like Towson did the night before) and needs to work on some stuff when playing a team like that. But - there are not many Ivy teams with Towson level athleticism and even that game could have been won had not Towson shot the ball so well in that 2nd half.

All in all - still stuff to work on, but not bad so far. Max will be a key part of this year's Penn team.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Re: Penn v Missouri-Kansas City
11-23-17 07:55 AM - Post#237433    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Chip, you could've picked any of 10 plays from Woods. Or one of Rothschild's multiple travels. Or Donahue kicking the ball out of bounds when he had his choice of an open lane to the basket or an open Brodeur to pass to.

I don't get why you decided to pick on Foreman. He had a clean game compared to the others. I get that Foreman tends to be a whipping boy for what he isn't but let's give him some credit for once. He played solid D - better than the other guards on the team. He made a number of really nice passes to Brodeur and Rothschild. He cleaned the boards. He even hit a few clutch shots. He was the only one on the team capable of breaking the press - did it every frigging time while others fumbled the ball around.

PennPal, where the heck are you?

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
11-23-17 08:31 AM - Post#237436    
    In response to TheLine

I chose the Foreman and Donahue sequence because of its combo of stunningly poor passes on a single possession.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:24 PM