Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Penn Monmouth Report Card        (Topic#20739)
SteveDanley 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
11-28-17 11:02 AM - Post#238185    
    In response to SomeGuy

I like staggering minutes -- makes sense to have a couple of shot creators in every lineup. I haven't tried to juggle a rotation enough to keep 3 of 4 players on the court always. Seems to me that foul trouble might make that kind of difficult. But with Betley playing/shooting so well, he's going to play a ton of minutes.

Curious to see how much run these lineups get against Nova.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
11-28-17 11:29 AM - Post#238188    
    In response to SteveDanley

• SteveDanley Said:

Speaking of Nova, Steve, what is the mindset going into a game against a national power like that? I have to think in the back of a player's mind he's thinking, "There's no way we're winning this game." But on the other hand, every player on the court is REALLY competitive (they wouldn't be playing D1 basketball if they weren't) and surely wants to show these Big Shots that he's got some game too.

You played in that tremendous game against Nova at the Palestra (I think it was your senior year.) One of the Nova big men (forget his name) started the game unconscious from three, but Zoller started hitting some shots, Ibby tightened up his on-ball defense and you guys made a tremendous run in the second half. Fell short, but really showed a lot of fight.

As good as Nova was then, they're even better today. What does Donahue tell his guys before a game like this? What do the guys tell themselves?

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Penn Monmouth Report Card
11-28-17 11:52 AM - Post#238190    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Another question for Steve: any take on the FT shooting? it is terrible and was last year as well even though some of these guys can shoot. Is it psychological at this point? Is there a fix or the team is what they is?

Sorry to make this ask steve hour but you are the only former player we have....

Edited by 91Quake on 11-28-17 11:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
11-28-17 12:55 PM - Post#238193    
    In response to 91Quake

When was the last time Penn was even an average free throw shooting team? Seems like forever.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
11-28-17 01:23 PM - Post#238197    
    In response to 10Q

• 10Q Said:
When was the last time Penn was even an average free throw shooting team? Seems like forever.

2012-13 team was the last time a Penn team averaged over 70% (71.7%) which was good for 97th in the country. Every year since we have been north of 250th in FT%.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-28-17 01:40 PM - Post#238198    
    In response to PennFan10

As I mentioned elsewhere, the current clip of 61% and change is a historic worst. And we've had some pretty poor FT shooting teams.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Re: Penn Monmouth Report Card
11-28-17 02:07 PM - Post#238199    

• SteveDanley Said:
  • penn nation Said:

If Williams isn't really going to be a viable option this season, maybe even SD should think about using him as a point forward in spots. Lord knows he can drive to the hoop and finish.

I'm actually pretty surprised he isn't cleared to play yet -- he was playing 5-on-5 as early as the preseason. It's a lot to ask a freshman point guard coming off a major injury to be a difference maker though. But I'm hopeful -- heard nothing but good things about him from my old coaches in the DC area.

I don't think this is true. I don't think Jelani has participated in any 5 on 5 or other live scrimmage's/Pickup games as he hasn't been cleared by the doctors.

He is practicing with the team but no live drills yet.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-28-17 02:23 PM - Post#238200    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
As I mentioned elsewhere, the current clip of 61% and change is a historic worst. And we've had some pretty poor FT shooting teams.

ESPN currently has us ranked #338 out of #351 at 60.3% in 7 games (presumably they did not count the nonDiv I game, where we shot somewhat better).

Dartmouth, by the way, currently at #1 (85.1%).

Edited by penn nation on 11-28-17 02:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-28-17 02:28 PM - Post#238201    
    In response to penn nation

As many have already noted, the team will undoubtedly lose some conference games this season at the line. The question is, how many? Put another way, what's the value of devoting significant practice time to FT shooting, bearing that practice time is a precious and scarce resource, and that time devoted to that will have to come at the expense of something else?

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-08-11
11-28-17 02:31 PM - Post#238202    
    In response to PennFan10

"I don't think this is true. I don't think Jelani has participated in any 5 on 5 or other live scrimmage's/Pickup games as he hasn't been cleared by the doctors."

There's plenty of things I've done that haven't been cleared by the doctors. Steve usually knows what he's talking about.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

11-28-17 02:50 PM - Post#238207    
    In response to westphillywarrior

I have no doubt Steve is a credible poster. That said, I stand by my statement.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
11-28-17 02:56 PM - Post#238208    
    In response to PennFan10

So if we've been a bad free throw shooting team through 5 years of players and coaches, the solution escapes me. It's not these players, because past players couldn't shoot either. It's not this coach, because the last coach couldn't coach free throws either. Is it all just a coincidence? Is it the Palestra? Do opposing teams shoot relatively badly when they come to Penn?

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
11-28-17 06:28 PM - Post#238216    
    In response to Silver Maple

While you are right SM that practice time is a precious resource, foul shooting is something that one CAN practice without it being part of a formal practice. I am well aware that these guys have pretty tight schedules (being a D-I athlete is no picnic), but I've got to believe that one(s) who want to improve this skill can find SOME time to practice it.

11Quakers 
Sophomore

11-28-17 07:21 PM - Post#238223    
    In response to TheLine

Steve,

Thanks for the report card. I have missed having someone do these and your knowledge of the game makes them creditable.

Your the best, please keep doing them.

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

11-29-17 12:04 AM - Post#238249    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
  • SteveDanley Said:

Speaking of Nova, Steve, what is the mindset going into a game against a national power like that? I have to think in the back of a player's mind he's thinking, "There's no way we're winning this game." But on the other hand, every player on the court is REALLY competitive (they wouldn't be playing D1 basketball if they weren't) and surely wants to show these Big Shots that he's got some game too.

You played in that tremendous game against Nova at the Palestra (I think it was your senior year.) One of the Nova big men (forget his name) started the game unconscious from three, but Zoller started hitting some shots, Ibby tightened up his on-ball defense and you guys made a tremendous run in the second half. Fell short, but really showed a lot of fight.

As good as Nova was then, they're even better today. What does Donahue tell his guys before a game like this? What do the guys tell themselves?

Big time games are one of the biggest recruiting pitches. I never found there was too much to say at this point -- you know the big games when they come, and you're almost too fired up. Dunph tended to go through the rituals (pre-game etc) to keep us grounded. There are fewer rah-rah speeches than you think (though more being yelled at for not boxing out).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't -- the Nova games were fun. We had St. Joes when they were #1 overall my freshman year. UNC at #1. Duke at #1. Kept most of them close (UNC the exception). Never quite picked one off.

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

11-29-17 12:06 AM - Post#238250    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
I have no doubt Steve is a credible poster. That said, I stand by my statement.

There's a chance I'm wrong here -- sometimes the fresh faces get confusing when the guys play pickup. But made a mental note one Saturday am when I thought he was out there. Hopefully there's been no setback and I'm just misremembering.

My guess is they're being really cautious with him, and rightfully so.

Edited by SteveDanley on 11-29-17 12:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

11-29-17 12:13 AM - Post#238251    
    In response to 91Quake

• 91Quake Said:
Another question for Steve: any take on the FT shooting? it is terrible and was last year as well even though some of these guys can shoot. Is it psychological at this point? Is there a fix or the team is what they is?

Sorry to make this ask steve hour but you are the only former player we have....

I wish I had an answer for the FT stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

There's some ritual to this too -- coaches have different responses to poor free throwing shooting. Some add more volume shooting to practice, some raise the stakes by making you run after misses (in practice or games). But mostly, it fixes itself.

My best guess is that it is mostly random, and will normalize somewhat (that doesn't answer the year-to-year problems) -- I think the guys are fine shooters, and there's no one whose form is atrocious.

My second best guess is that it has to do with how often (or not) guys get there. I always felt like the 1st free throw of the day was the toughest, then you could settle into a rhythm. Maybe our shooters don't get there that often / are cold? And the bigs who get there more often are in that 60-70 range anyway when it normalizes?

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

11-29-17 12:13 AM - Post#238252    
    In response to 11Quakers

• 11Quakers Said:
Steve,

Thanks for the report card. I have missed having someone do these and your knowledge of the game makes them creditable.

Your the best, please keep doing them.

Thanks, but that wasn't me! I've just been in the thread quite a bit.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-29-17 12:58 AM - Post#238253    

You'll all want to be here next week for another exciting episode of:

****Ask Steve Danley!****

Steve will opine on Ryan Betley's tee shirt, several players' tattoos, why hand-checking is for sissies, the infield fly rule and more. Be sure to tune in!

(Thanks Steve.)

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-29-17 04:01 AM - Post#238257    
    In response to Silver Maple

No one besides Betley shoots over 70% or has ever shot them well. We start two small PG's who can't shoot a FT. Who are we going to trust with possession of the ball in a tight game with a small lead? That is imperative for a PG.

I've noticed that Woods has a strange grip on the ball (he seems to use more palm than average) and also doesn't follow through with his wrist (My daughter calls it "reaching into the cookie jar") the way he does when shooting a 3. There's something weird about his release - he looks like he's lobbing it for an alley-oop as opposed to making a laser targeted shot. Foreman's FTs are flat. His cadence makes the shot sling a bit harder as opposed to smooth acceleration through release. His form works better for him in the midrange game as many of the shots are fading or spinning away from defenders. Falling away adds arc to his shots.

BTW, I have no basketball knowledge - just throwing stuff out there for conversation. Hoping everyone on the team takes the time to solve their individual problems, whether mechanical or mental.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.901 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:35 PM