Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: St. Joes Game        (Topic#20756)
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-30-17 09:51 AM - Post#238509    
    In response to jkrun80

jkrun - I agree that we won't have many nights that bad shooting the ball and the result is no surprise when you look at the %'s across 2's,3's and FT's, I posted six reasons why we could lose against against Stony Brook on that threat. Change the team and coach names and change "recent" to historical and you at where you're at. That said, I am agreeing because there will be reversion to the mean as it pertains to shooting the ball. Unfortunately, the reason one of the 6 points listed addresses shooting is that reversion to the mean dos not in and by itself exclude "black swans". Black swans in this case encompassing %'s not as much as an outlier as last night. The point being you have to try to keep it close defensively and by second shots etc o that you can steal a win on a night you shouldn't. I love our coaching staff but this also leads me to agree with crd012's commentary directly above yours. I worked for one of the earliest and best system coaches in the game but we always got TACTICAL within the confines of the 40 minutes. The flip side is that you have to take the long view and "dance with what brought ya" (i.e., you can't just throw in the towel every time your system is challenged) if your belief is that your system will be stronger at the end of the year than the beginning and therefore produce the results your trying to achieve. Truly frustrating if you're a fan and want a result every night. All that said, I still can't figure out what the ball screen "philosophy" is. Each team member seems to handle differently and I'm searching for what the key is. We again seemed to get too far off our responsibilities in our weak side help positioning but its almost impossible to really analyze defensive schemes and rotations given streaming video with really static camera angles and virtually no replay. 3-5 and we're coming home. Sojka solves a lot of issues. VT is good and really shoots it at the perimeter (one of our present defensive weaknesses). Chance to improve and get a result. I'd be surprised if this isn't a game settled in the last 1-2 minutes

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-30-17 01:20 PM - Post#238551    
    In response to Old Bison

Obviously the shooting was horrible. 4-27 on threes and barely .500 on FT's although most of the latter is on Foulland. Zach had his worst shooting night in a few years - was way off on the threes and had trouble finishing near the rim. Was fouled a couple of times with no calls and seemingly got a bit frustrated. Moore and O'Reilly both shot poorly as well.

But there were a few positive things as well:

1. Zach had 19 rebounds. To find a Bison with more than 19 in a game, I think you have to at least go back to Butts or Barry. Muscala never had more than 19. Foulland's career best is 13. McNaughton, D. Brown, and others in the scholarship era never came close. Don't think Lalugba did - although it is remotely possible he did it his senior year.

2. Sotos played really well again - although his shooting on threes was off. However he had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers. Shot 2-3 on twos. He played 27 minutes but would have been over 30 had it not been for foul problems. Meeks also was solid.

3. Bison only had six turnovers - which clearly is good even if the St. Joes defense doesn't put too much pressure on the ball.

4. Bison outrebounded St. Joes. Got 79% of available defensive rebounds and 30% on the offensive boards.

Agree that the Vermont game is likely to be decided in the final minute. Will need to shoot a lot better however. Vermont has a lot of talent and is currently 6-1, with the only loss being a close one on the road vs Kentucky.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
11-30-17 01:44 PM - Post#238556    
    In response to Bison137

I believe Birdsong said Zach had the most rebounds since somebody in 1987. I forget who he said it was but I'm pretty sure he said 87.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-30-17 02:08 PM - Post#238569    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

the problem with three's other than the lower statistical probability is you rarely get to the line shooting one...more importantly is the number of times it results in a high rebound that leads to a run-out. O'Reilly's often come out high whereas Zach's don't show an equal propensity. I think Bruce is challenged in a 4 out 1 in and you're gonna have start looking at getting him involved through a different set (in Avi & Kimbal's absence). he is not adept at putting the ball on the deck in dribble drive combinations and getting to the hoop (in traffic or not in traffic). also is not a consistent 3 ball shooter and is often erratic in closer range. got to get him in the interior in high/low interchanges with Nana/Zach/Nate S. Nate S would benefit from some 3-2 sets as well. hell, we haven't got Nana a hoop from the high screen & roll all year that I can remember. can't pick and pop with him from there either. all teams exist an injury or two from being a wash-out. we can compete in the interim because we're good but so is everybody else. May not be an easy period with two guys out and high expectations can be a hurdle in and of themselves...we're just spit ballin' as fans...they'll figure it out. separate note, I saw VT-KY...they're talented. Bison are up to the challenge but I don't suspect they're favored as was projected on prior thread.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
11-30-17 02:20 PM - Post#238571    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
I believe Birdsong said Zach had the most rebounds since somebody in 1987. I forget who he said it was but I'm pretty sure he said 87.

Thomas had 11 rebounds by halftime and fell one shy of the team’s first 20-rebound game since Eric Hegedus in 1985. http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_O...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-30-17 03:23 PM - Post#238582    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
I worked for one of the earliest and best system coaches in the game

Who was that?

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-30-17 06:47 PM - Post#238615    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I could tell you but then I would have to shoot you!

If you send me a mail (I don't know how to do internally) I'll let you know but you'll have to wrestle me in the new Graham bldg. We may be able to raise some funds for the program

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-30-17 08:37 PM - Post#238623    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
I'll let you know but you'll have to wrestle me in the new Graham bldg. We may be able to raise some funds for the program

Vegas has you as the early favorite.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-30-17 09:41 PM - Post#238626    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I gave you a fist bump on your way into SB. It may have something to do with the extra 6” and 100 lbs. Vegas doesn’t know however you did a lot of wrestling in Hunt way back in the day!

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
12-01-17 08:46 AM - Post#238635    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Vegas doesn’t know however you did a lot of wrestling in Hunt way back in the day!

Careful, OB, I don't want to see you end up on the front page of the NYT...

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-01-17 09:40 AM - Post#238642    
    In response to res

It’s why you never see me post on the women’s basketball thread. I’ll leave all that to Pauly and the Bison girls

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
12-02-17 09:00 PM - Post#238775    
    In response to Old Bison

Villanova defeated St. Joe’s 94-53 at St. Joe’s. We never should have lost to that team.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
12-02-17 09:38 PM - Post#238793    
    In response to MrPhillie

This is reminding me of the Monmouth game. Hope it has a better ending.

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
12-03-17 01:29 AM - Post#238861    
    In response to MrPhillie

St. Joes is 100% going to be our lost of the year. That team is not good, and we went in there and gave a sad effort. Their rpi is gonna end up in the middle of the pack of the Pat League. That team was simply bad...our performance was worse

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-03-17 09:12 AM - Post#238866    
    In response to crd012

Unfortunately it’s not a park in Jersey City and we just can’t say “let’s run it back”. We got our butts kicked - it’s over.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
12-03-17 10:40 AM - Post#238876    
    In response to Old Bison

In the pre-game interview last night, Coach Davis acknowledged that he didn't coach very well and the players didn't play well. Hopefully, that is out of their system and we see consistent effort from everyone in every game from here on. You saw a different team last night.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
12-04-17 01:00 PM - Post#238979    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

Sotos played really well again - although his shooting on threes was off. However he had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers. Shot 2-3 on twos. He played 27 minutes but would have been over 30 had it not been for foul problems. Meeks also was solid.

I am finally getting around to commenting on this game due to a very busy last few days. I was sitting 4 rows behind one of the baskets along with a small contingent of Bucknellians. IMO, the team played like that were all hungover. They were slow, did not move well, could not shoot, and did not play team D. I do not know why, but this team does not seem to get fired up for games. Maybe they need some Red Bull before the game.

Sotos moved well, but he was hesitant to shoot. There were a couple of times that he passed up on open looks. He is a freshman. We all need to keep this in mind.

Meeks is interesting. He is very smooth. He does not seem to move fast, but before you know it, he is in a good position to score or rebound. He has lots of potential.

Bucknell should not have lost to St. Joes. That was a VERY bad loss. The coaches really need to think about the teams pre-game ritual and find a way to get them a little more excited about playing.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: St. Joe game
12-04-17 03:52 PM - Post#238994    
    In response to Bison89

Sorry did not get a chance to meet you or other members of the Bison Nation at the game, B89. I was sitting with some other Bison fans in the upper part of the mid-court seats, behind the benches.

That trip to City Line Ave. was about as much fun as going to the King of Prussia Mall the day before Christmas! Traffic nightmare on the edge of Philly and the game was a dud.

Agree with you about Meeks. He is a big, solid forward at 6-6 and has a certain "glide" to his game. He gets to the hoop and is good around the basket. I did not say explosive! Has more potential than what I first expected.

This was a learning experience game for our team, and for the coaches. St. Joe is more athletic and more physical than what we expected. Zach got bumped hard a few times and Moore took a shot in the face. In the second half, we decided to bump back and looked much better.

In terms of what Nova did to St. Joe, a reminder that the Hawks were only down by 4 late in the first half so the 40 point loss is deceiving. Nova has players who are as quick as Stephen Brown but stand 6-4 or 6-7 (Phil Booth and M. Bridges).

We really missed the toughness of Toomer in the game vs. the Hawks.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.227 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:06 AM