Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: URI        (Topic#20759)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-28-17 10:13 PM - Post#238236    

Ouch. Not the team you want to play on the 3rd game in 4 days, particularly with this young a team. I hope this is a learning experience.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: URI
11-28-17 10:33 PM - Post#238241    
    In response to Old Bear

I agree. It’s a shame Brown didn’t get URI at another time, because they were just out of gas. Didn’t come out with a lot, and their defense was soft. (Gave up 60 pct shooting to URI). URI to me is a top 25 caliber team and they just blew them off the court.

Frontcourt remains a concern. Getting zero from Fuller and only one FG from the trio of DeWolf, Fuller and Howard isn’t going to beat anyone.

If there’s one thing to be disappointed by tonight it was the lack of aggressiveness and execution on offense. Rams overplayed the guards all night long and we barely were able to get the ball North-South. Few good inside passes and fewer strong takes. We got to the line, but didn’t execute offensively much.

But - this was an incredibly tall order for a tired and young team that has played well of late. Take the learning and onto the next one.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
11-29-17 10:00 AM - Post#238279    
    In response to Bruno

Not going to get too worked up about this one. URI is absolutely suffocating on defense, with elite level athletes and length. We couldn't get into any of our stuff comfortably and were always starting our offense 2-3 feet further out than we should have been. But again, we were playing above our weight class a bit.

What trend strikes me as a little concerning is the turnovers. It appears Hunsaker is adjusting to the speed of the Division 1 level. Gets caught a lot in the lane with no where to go and his passes sometimes are a second too late. He appears to be a tough, coachable kid though - so I would expect it all to slow for him around January.

Anderson, has been terrific so far, but the kid dribbles the leather off the ball to the point where it is borderline selfish. But with that being said, could be possible he is told to do that given how often others are handing it off to the other team.

I think those two are going to be really good, and my negativity regarding the above comments are driven by high expectations given their respective talent levels.

Will be very interesting to see how the staff works Obi back in to major minutes. Anderson is clearly going to get he lions share of the minutes at the PG spot. Hard to take Hunsaker off the court given his ability to shoot it (his % will go up) and play well above average defense. And Cambridge is IMO the best "talent" we have had come to the Pitz since....so he has to play 28 min +. My assumption is once ivy league play rolls around the staff will go 4 guards with Obi at the 4. To Bruno's point we arent getting a ton from our bigs, and aside from Harvard dont see a team that would absolutely hammer us on the glass in league play if we trotted out that lineup.

Go Bears!

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
11-29-17 11:36 PM - Post#238486    
    In response to jst4245

You may be right about the 4 guard lineup being what MM gravitates to. Given the need to have Obi on the floor enough to develop rhythm and given the fact that our strength is in the guard play. I prefer the stretch 4 model, which I was thinking Howard was a solid fit for, but of late he’s not been effective shooting the ball.

Still if you have Obi spelling the 2/3 combo of Hunsaker / Cambridge, that is probably the best threesome at the 2/3 in the league.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.216 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:09 AM