Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy Tournament and home court advantage        (Topic#20782)
mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
12-03-17 12:29 PM - Post#238888    

This post was on the general IVY board
sounds good to me....

Offline Early Season "Swing Games"
12-03-17 11:13 AM - Post#238886 New Reply
In response to SomeGuy

I don't know if it's been discussed much, but school academic calendars were reputedly a major influence on last year's tournament. For example, I know that Harvard players apparently pulled all nighters for midterms and papers before boarding the bus from Boston to Philly. Penn had the week off to practice on the home court. I knew more about Princeton and Yale then.

Looking to this year:

Harvard, Yale, Columbia: midterms likely (Harvard definitely) right up to the tournament weekend, which is at the start of spring break

Penn: week off (spring break) heading into the tournament; midterms completed over a week prior to tip off.

Dartmouth: Final exams (not midterms) start Friday and end Monday, tournament most inconvenient - right in the middle.

Princeton: midterm week follows the tournament

Brown, Cornell: uncertain, appears midterms are likely two weeks after tournament (could start week following)

Please feel free to update with info. Thus:

Advantage:
1) Penn
2) Brown, Cornell

Disadvantage:
1) Dartmouth
2) Harvard, Yale, Columbia
3) Princeton

Bias acknowledged, but the Ivy League couldn't have tipped the scales more if it tried. Schools with exams have to travel the furthest (Dartmouth, Harvard), while the only school with a week off plays at home.

Good Job.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 12-03-17 11:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Ivy Tournament and home court advantage
12-03-17 12:57 PM - Post#238891    
    In response to mbaprof

Sadly, that poster does not realize what Penn had to give up. No more Penn-Princeton game finale to end the season.

Imagine if Harvard and Yale no longer had their so-called "Game" in football.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
12-03-17 05:53 PM - Post#238916    
    In response to penn nation

There is an Ivy tournament??? OMG

gopenngo 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-30-06
12-04-17 02:18 AM - Post#238933    
    In response to 10Q

Hahahaha!!! They're afraid of Penn! It's nice to have people worrying about the Quakers again.

Tell them next year we'll start the "tournament" on the preceding Tuesday, when we used to play Princeton. Perhaps they can petition the NCAA to adjust March Madness to suit these hand-wringers.

Or, just decline to participate, due to prior inflexible commitments and, you know, lofty priorities.

palestra38 
Professor

12-04-17 09:29 AM - Post#238939    
    In response to gopenngo

The criticism above is ridiculous. If the schools intend to have an Ivy tournament and care at all about making it a social experience for their student bodies, they easily can coordinate the academic schedule. Princeton STILL has finals after break in the winter which makes no sense to anyone except those who had to do it themselves so why should it change? And midterms are not scheduled school-wide anyway.

I would agree with our Harvard friend that there should not be an Ivy tournament since there is no way in hell that we're going to get in a second team any time in the foreseeable future, which is the only justification for it. But it wasn't Penn that was the leader of the movement for it, and it isn't Penn's fault that it has the only acceptable venue for the tournament that won't cost $$$.

And I don't want anyone from Harvard complaining until it agrees to allow the Ivies to participate in the FCS playoffs in football--that decision is 100% designed to protect The Game.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Ivy Tournament and home court advantage
12-04-17 09:47 AM - Post#238941    
    In response to mbaprof

The five "disadvantaged" teams including Harvard and Princeton deserve no sympathy as the AD, Head Coach and Administration voted their support for the IL Tournament. It was not too difficult to figure out that there were going to be logistical issues for certain schools based on academic schedules.
The concept that Penn and Princeton is somehow disadvantaged as they do not play each other at the end of the season may be even difficult to fathom.

Hopefully, everyone thought through the process by prior to voting. It is what it is.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-04-17 09:59 AM - Post#238943    
    In response to bradley

They could always petition the NCAA to move the dates of their basketball tournament, right? That would solve it.

Or maybe have Robin Harris move the Ivy tournament to February or April so as to not conflict with midterms.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-04-17 11:14 AM - Post#238960    
    In response to TheLine

Well, as of this moment, the tourney would just be HCA for the top seed. Based EXCLUSIVELY off of this year's outcomes, the seeding would be:

1) Penn
2) Yale
3) Columbia
4) Harvard

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
12-04-17 11:17 AM - Post#238963    
    In response to mrjames

I'm going to print this out and hang a framed copy on my wall.

I'm OK with ending the regular season right here. Who we got in the first round, and is Raftery calling the game?

"Onions!"

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
12-04-17 11:45 AM - Post#238969    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

It's not particularly close right now.

But Penn's sorta where we thought they'd be (140s - maybe a shade higher than I thought, but in the neighborhood). It's more that Princeton and Harvard are getting destroyed by shooting in a way that is not going to sustain and Yale is fighting on bravely without Mason and Bruner but, as we knew going into the year, is getting its greatest weakness (the bench) exposed now.

How one might order the league right now depends on what question one is trying to answer. If I had to pick an Ivy to go up against a 4-seed in the NCAA tournament, I'd pick Harvard easily. If I had to pick an Ivy to play a nationally average team and feel good they won't lay an egg, I'd probably want Penn, Columbia or Yale. I'm not sure I'd pick Princeton for anything right now, but history would indicate they have a way of figuring it out for Ivy play.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-04-17 11:54 AM - Post#238970    
    In response to mrjames

Now 'tis the autumn of our discontent. But winter is coming. All Ivies must die.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
12-04-17 01:52 PM - Post#238987    
    In response to SRP

It was the best of times....

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
12-04-17 02:05 PM - Post#238988    
    In response to palestra38

Wow! For the first time in a while, I solidly agree with P38.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-05-17 09:15 PM - Post#239164    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

How one might order the league right now depends on what question one is trying to answer. If I had to pick an Ivy to go up against a 4-seed in the NCAA tournament, I'd pick Harvard easily. If I had to pick an Ivy to play a nationally average team and feel good they won't lay an egg, I'd probably want Penn, Columbia or Yale. I'm not sure I'd pick Princeton for anything right now, but history would indicate they have a way of figuring it out for Ivy play.

I like the continued optimism. The thought that the IL rep might be playing a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament will require some winning pretty soon against some good competition as well as other IL teams picking up the pace. I get a kick out of Lunardi already projecting Yale playing #2 seed Wichita State but it does say something as to how the IL is competing to date.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
12-06-17 02:48 AM - Post#239194    
    In response to bradley

League-with-so-much-poten tial sucks so far, relative to expectations.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.269 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:23 AM