Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: McLaughlin too stubborn to succeed        (Topic#20799)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
Re: McLaughlin too stubborn to succeed
12-16-17 04:40 AM - Post#240302    
    In response to EasyGreen1

I heard a quote by Jeff Van Gundy. "You can't miss on your own players." You see them everyday in practice. As a coach you have to know your personnel inside and out, and know what they bring to the game.
"...no excuses - only results!”

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-17-17 01:39 AM - Post#240379    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

You guys need only look at Penn's recent history, if you want a cautionary tale.

Two bad coaching hires can leave your program wandering around in the weeds for a decade. Your administration should move, and do it soon.

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
12-17-17 06:58 PM - Post#240419    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

TWO bad coaching hires? The last Dartmouth coach to finish with a winning record during his tenure there was Ozzie Cowles—who coached from 1937-1946! The team hasn't won the Ivy League title since the 1959-60 season. Cormier brought them closer to that pinnacle than any other coach in recent memory, though that was during his first stint. Faucher was beloved by his players, but he only had three winning seasons in 13, and none in his final five. Terry Dunn was probably the only DISASTER here. What we could really use is someone like a Buddy Teevens: an alum who's earned his coaching stripes in major programs and wants to come back and rebuild his alma mater. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any players from the Dartmouth program who followed that plan. Woe is us until, like, a Brad Stevens emerges to save us from obscurity.

GIQUAKER 
Junior

Reg: 02-27-06
12-17-17 08:34 PM - Post#240420    
    In response to flinder

Just some thoughts after reading the posts:
1) I think Flinder brings up great points. Yes Dartmouth can be a difficult place to recruit to for many young kids and expectations should be tempered. We're not winning the IVY's this year.
2) Coach M is a very hard working dedicated coach and I think that he will be a successful coach. He should not be compared to the Penn coach from 10 years ago.
3) Coach Cormier was a great X and O's coach but things change!
Go Big Green!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-19-17 09:53 PM - Post#240609    
    In response to GIQUAKER

Dartmouth played an outstanding game against ND tonight. They showed a lot of heart plus offensive skill. Could not handle Bonzie Colson but that is not unusual.

Barry can play -- 11 assists. Coach looked like he did a great job of keeping the players focused and no quit.

GIQUAKER 
Junior

12-19-17 10:08 PM - Post#240615    
    In response to bradley

Yes, they shot well and played great defense, forcing some good turnovers. Emery looked like he did last year. I thought they were going to get tired at the end like the UIC game but they held strong. I think Coach M substituted more in this game. I hope we shoot 3's like this for the rest of the season. Too bad I have to miss the Bryant game.
Go Big Green!

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-20-17 02:17 AM - Post#240689    
    In response to GIQUAKER

I thought Dartmouth looked pretty good for most of the game. They shot well, with the exception of that stretch early in the second half where ND dropped the hammer on them. Defense was better than I expected. Good positioning, and alertness that led to a bunch of deflections leading to turnovers.

Colson and the big Lithuanian kid punished the Green in the paint.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-20-17 04:59 AM - Post#240715    

From reading comments over here I was expecting defensive ineptitude, but Dartmouth looked very ept in the first half. Quick hands, good positioning, not a lot of easy stuff for ND. And some good outside shooting and ball movement. If they can bottle that they will score some upsets in the IL.

GIQUAKER 
Junior

McLaughlin too stubborn to succeed
12-20-17 06:32 AM - Post#240718    

"Colson and the big Lithuanian kid punished the Green in the paint."

You've been watching the IVYs long enough to know the difference between athlete students and real student athletes. I think the Big Green (with 4 freshmen!)n did extremely well against a professional team on their home court. If Notre Dame and other schools were brave enough to return the trip to IVY schools, games like last night might have been different.
Go Big Green!

Edited by GIQUAKER on 12-20-17 06:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GIQUAKER 
Junior

12-20-17 06:50 AM - Post#240719    
    In response to SRP

"From reading comments over here I was expecting defensive ineptitude, but Dartmouth looked very ept in the first half. "

Perhaps you were reading the wrong comments or perhaps comments written based on early observations of a young team. I think things will look progress for Dartmouth in the long run.

EasyGreen1 
Freshman

Reg: 12-08-16
12-20-17 12:45 PM - Post#240765    
    In response to GIQUAKER

Last night game against ND was exciting and fun to watch (for a change), but it was not a showcase of defensive skill for either team. 97-87 in a college game with both teams shooting over 50 percent FG and over 40 percent from 3. The Big Green is a talented team and should do well in the Ivy. My hope is that we make adjustments in guard play defensively to deal with the quick/athletic guards we'll continue to face. This will limit the early foul trouble on our bigs and the Ws will follow.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-20-17 08:21 PM - Post#240855    

So is the Coach now less stubborn?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-20-17 10:05 PM - Post#240861    
    In response to Old Bear

I only saw the first half, but Dartmouth helped ND commit a ton of turnovers. The Irish were a little careless, but the swarming Green defenders contributed a lot to the empty possessions.

EasyGreen1 
Freshman

Reg: 12-08-16
12-20-17 10:06 PM - Post#240862    
    In response to Old Bear

Hoping he gets it worked out and have the team hitting on all cylinders no later than January 26th Old Bear!

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
12-21-17 08:28 AM - Post#240885    

Short version of EasyGreen's analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_f8l2RRKko

Corms 
Freshman

Reg: 10-17-16
12-21-17 01:09 PM - Post#240949    
    In response to Go Green

Dartmouth looked great vs. ND. They cut it to just 3 late in the second half. Knight, Barry, Emery, Rai, are all very promising players for the future and I'm sure there are others, too. As an old PG myself, I have particularly enjoyed watching Barry's game.

As a Miles Wright fan, I was happy to see him shine on the big stage. Back when my dad and bro coached Miles, I used to tell them to draw up some easy buckets for him early so that he would get it going. Because once he's on a streak with some momentum, he is at his best. I haven't seen a lot of the action this year but I also noticed Taylor Johnson playing a huge role. It is always nice to see seniors do well.

I was wondering about Sistare and Carter. I thought they would be more involved as they each bring a lot to the table, which isn't to say there isn't good, deserving talent playing in their place.

From the ND game I was especially impressed by the good defense we played and by the body language of the players on the bench. Everyone was having fun and cheering each other on. Lots of good camaraderie. I have long heard that the love for Dartmouth basketball is strong in and around Chicago. Seems like the local DMB community's support rubbed off on the team nicely!

Go Big Green!

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:15 AM