Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: It's the DEFENSE, stupid!        (Topic#20806)
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
12-16-17 12:46 PM - Post#240315    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
OB, this team came into the season with some people thinking it could maybe advance to the Sweet 16. The past Bison teams that won games in the Dance won or were competitive in games that this team is losing. The WVU game last year was what prompted the idea these guys could go somewhere special. I said on multiple occasions on this board that Kimbal was the key, just as he was vs WVU. But, due to injury Kimbal has not been a factor this year. Without him, best case scenario is we are a good PL team. Of course the loss of Zach, Nana or Stephen would be crippling as well, but my going in hopes were based on the assumption that Zach would be Zach, Nana would be Nana, and Stephen would be Stephen. The X factor was Kimbal, who showed us what he could be in the WVU game. That Kimbal, a year older, combined with the other 3 could maybe take us to the promissed Land. The window is closing, for this particular combination of players. Next year when Kimbal should arguably have his best year, will be a rebuilding year.

Wow! 63 - there’s a lot there that generates discussion points. I think our performance vs WVU was blown up out of proportion. I told a member of staff that if NJ doesn’t hit a meaningless 3 in the quarter and KM goes 3-8 from 3 we lose by 15 and the headline is “WVU tames Bison”. I think he thought I was crazy. You just can’t take one game’s result and outsize it. It is why every year you can play “6 degrees of Kevin Bacon” and ultimately come up with someone terrible beating Duke by doing the pyramid link. Kimball, SB and Nana all had career games as well. An antithetical position if you wanted to be cynical is we were one missed KM 3 from the corner from being bounced by Navy in the semis on our home floor. Any projection about S16 is a fan’s prerogative and it’s great that anyone had such a positive viewpoint. The reality is that every staff in conjunction with their captains (in my experience) sets and agrees team goals that are both achievable and stretch. They are also normally tiered and I imagine the Bison’ look a little like this:

1. Win PL RS title
2. Win PL tourney title
3. Advance in NCAA tournament
4. Sweet 16 - (stretch)

I would add that it’s difficult to label anyone “key”. It’s a team game and unless you have Jabber nobody’s key. That said, when you’re talking about injury all teams are fragile and losing one strong component can in fact be labeled a “key” loss. I just don’t think however you can label one components “gradient” of performance as being a key. To be successful at the levels we’re talking you need 5 guys operating at optimal efficiency.

I understand your more holistic point that that beating Syracuse and Pittsburgh (Big East) during the regular season were showcase wins that anchored the reality that those wins indicated the potential for high level post season success and This team doesn’t have such a comparison CV and that worse yet this year’s version has a CV with some losses that have indicated weaknesses. As I posted previously, I think it’s a valid point in the context your raising. I would add that it’s tough to quantify the loss of Avi and KM. Avi also seemed to be indicating he had more confidence shooting the ball prior to going down. His form and the quality of his “misses” last year left a ? mark that has now been short circuited.

The most important issue you have raised is the last one and I have alluded to it as well earlier in a thread about Chicago (?) State and in other posts in subtle ways. I fully agree that next year is more “rebuild” than “reload” and agree wholeheartedly that the window is closing. That said, I think it’s all the more reason we enjoy today, work to improve, GET HEALTHY, and get results 1 by 1. First goal, get home court advantage for the PL tournament.

Lastly, when you reference us cratering at UoM you miss the fact that there are success indicators in the fact that we were up 15 on a quality Big 10 team by 15. What is missing in that analysis is same thing missing in our analysis about the defense. The other guys are trying to win and Maryland came out and wrung the towel in the second half. I just visited Jay W and they have game goals as well. The coaching staff tracks deflections! They track “the pass that led to the pass”! They award a hustle player of the game EVERY game.

Your concern and points are valid but that’s what our goals and guys are working towards. We have to bring that intensity every game and we have been inconsistent on the road but also showed some character on the road (UNC - UoM although a bitter one to swallow)

Let’s enjoy and support. I’m very interested in tonite

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
12-16-17 01:04 PM - Post#240317    
    In response to Old Bison

I’ll get back to you in a month or so, after I finish reading what you said. Hell I thought I was long winded, but you are the champ! LOL!

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
12-16-17 01:46 PM - Post#240320    
    In response to bison63

There’s great news for everyone. My things to do list is increasing again and Board meetings are looming. This is a temporarily insane period for me as things have quieted for Cmas. It’s also snowing and kids games are cancelled. Good period for me bad period for you guys. I’ll go on hiatus again...I promise...you’re gonna miss me 63!🤮🤢

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
12-16-17 02:42 PM - Post#240322    
    In response to Old Bison

We're gonna get whooped tonight. We will win the league but get beat by Army in the Patriot league tournament. Our bench is not deep. There is no Santa Claus.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
12-16-17 03:06 PM - Post#240324    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
We're gonna get whooped tonight. We will win the league but get beat by Army in the Patriot league tournament. Our bench is not deep. There is no Santa Claus.

Our bench could beat 6 or 7 of the PL teams, including Army. We'll be just fine tonight and the rest of the season. VCU has lost to good teams and beaten bad teams. ODU is their only decent win. We can win the next 3 and sweep the PL. 18-0 baby!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-16-17 04:18 PM - Post#240338    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:

When Toomer and Mackenzie return, BU will have the PL's deepest bench by a very wide margin.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
12-16-17 08:06 PM - Post#240360    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
There is no Santa Claus.

That might be the funniest thing that you have ever posted!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-17-17 03:49 AM - Post#240381    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
OB, with reference to your comments about 5 or 6 wins being about what we should have expected, I could not agree more. In fact I said 6.

Fwiw, the Bucknell strength of schedule (based on Pomeroy) is now 3rd in the nation - behind only Texas Southern and Prairie View. Neither of those teams has played a home game yet, and the first home game is not yet close for either.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.236 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:20 AM