Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: It's the DEFENSE, stupid!        (Topic#20806)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
12-14-17 04:24 PM - Post#240220    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
MO, JM, ND and JS do not have the foot speed and toughness of KM

Wow, how bewildering a sentence is this to try to decrypt? I hope my decoder ring arrives in today's mail.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
12-14-17 04:49 PM - Post#240227    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

and Avi

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-14-17 04:52 PM - Post#240228    
    In response to Old Bison

ND was supposed to be NJ...Ha!, a lot more foot speed than ND

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-14-17 08:57 PM - Post#240246    
    In response to Old Bison

Btw - it’s a pretty simple sentence so I don’t know what’s so bewildering. They say red heads aren’t that smart - maybe you need more than a decoder ring.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
12-14-17 09:59 PM - Post#240249    
    In response to Old Bison

Last year we started the season ranked around 180 in Pomeroy and worked our way to the top 100. This year we started ranked 70 something in Pomeroy and now are about to work our way out of the top 100 (99) as this is written. Paralysis by analysis is a definite possibility so I will go with the old Parcellsism “ you are what your record says you are.”

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-14-17 10:18 PM - Post#240250    
    In response to bison63

As I said previously - high expectations present a challenge in and of itself. I think the majority of us sensibly conjectured that a 5-6 win OOC schedule was a solid result. I specifically pointed out that the opener had an outsized importance given the next three road games. We are at 4-6 and if we can squeeze 1 or 2 out of the next three it’s still a very solid result. When you factor in the loss of KM and Avi its outstanding. VCU lost at home by 4 to Texas and I was shocked by how well they played against Duke. Tomorrow obviously won’t be easy but that’s why to got to play the game. We’ll worry about the next one after this one. The reality is we’re not really that deep when you take KM and Avi out of the mix. We’ll be fine...keep the faith my brother. Nobody sensible should have thought we were coming out of this 7-6. What was the result of the poll that was posted?

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-14-17 11:36 PM - Post#240252    
    In response to Old Bison

On second thought, If we can upset VCU there’s absolutely no reason we can’t get to 7-6 as LaSalle is at least at Sojka. Given the loss at Monmouth 6-7 down two starters is a job well done. One at a time...see what bounces the ball takes Saturday night. “Come on up for the Rising”. #atVCU...I don’t do Twitter- is that how it works?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
12-15-17 12:48 AM - Post#240254    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Btw - it’s a pretty simple sentence so I don’t know what’s so bewildering..

The initials are mind-boggling, at least for me. Investing a few more keystrokes in spelling names would go a long way.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-15-17 08:16 AM - Post#240256    

Got it. I’ve been a fan and supporter of the BU Men’s Basketball program for 37 years. This is the first year I have posted although I read commentary in the past. I couldn’t get my head around the fact that I would be talking about the very program I have so much passion for and including direct commentary on our kids and coaches in a forum that is easily accessible. Eventually I came to the conclusion that anybody playing or coaching at this level has a lot tougher skin than to be affected by what is ultimately trivial and that in the age of social media this is merely a new way to interact and enjoy that passion. There exists no other industry where the Monday morning QB-ing is so severe, although there are blogs and bulletin boards around stocks and qtrly earnings reports I suspect might be a lot more vitriolic. I normally post the day after each game so as to invoke at least a “12 hour rule” that may obviate saying something in disappointment and frustration that I would regret. It took me 10 days to post any commentary on the NE game. As you can tell from the last 24 hours my desk is a lot cleaner. We may or may not win at VCU but I’m highly confident that our guys are happy to have exams behind them and are ready to compete tomorrow night. I don’t know who Kenpom and Pomeroy are but I do know that Bucknell has had great success over a number of years and that a tradition started with Woolum and has extended thru PF, DP and ND to today and that it has to be nurtured, protected and supported to be extended. Nothing is self sufficient. Please no commentary from biology majors about some organism I never heard of! I will add along those lines that I’m shocked by the number of former players that have enjoyed the benefit of being a member of that tradition and have turned their back in “giving back”. I don’t need to invoke the “12 hour rule” on that.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
12-15-17 12:10 PM - Post#240265    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Old Bison Said:
Btw - it’s a pretty simple sentence so I don’t know what’s so bewildering..

The initials are mind-boggling, at least for me. Investing a few more keystrokes in spelling names would go a long way.

BRW, OB is OK by me.

(Bison Road Warrior, Old Bison is okay by me.)

No honestly, I am not a big fan of writing with initials. I would prefer a first and last name or at least a last name.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-15-17 01:33 PM - Post#240270    
    In response to Bison89

I just hate referencing the kids at all when saying someone didn't defend well or shoot it well etc., I guess if I initial them I feel less like I'm talking about them behind their back even if its easily discernible. I should probably try to just post without any mention of personnel but it's tough to do. This is my first time around posting so maybe I just need to work on just staying very general. But that's kind of like being a coach and not yelling to me! (Nate does a great job publicly so there's hope). We're due a good one BRW!

bison63 
Postdoc

12-15-17 03:18 PM - Post#240281    
    In response to Old Bison

OB, with reference to your comments about 5 or 6 wins being about what we should have expected, I could not agree more. In fact I said 6. But given the way we lost to MD, with a complete second half collapse, and the way we lost to St Joes and NE, combined with the defensive deficiencies we have seen all season, I think there is cause for concern. 5 or 6 wins playing competitively is one thing, but the 3 games I mentioned make me wonder. These last 3 games are very important, because if we wait till the PL to start winning we will not know if we fixed our problems or won only because of the weaker competition. That is IF we start winning in the PL.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
12-15-17 09:39 PM - Post#240290    
    In response to bison63

I thought we would win 7, possibly 8, but I am an eternal optimist. Still, it was not unreasonable. I thought we would win against:
Monmouth
Maryland
Siena
Ball St.
Stony Brook or St. Joe's
Northeastern
Richmond
LaSalle
Vermont was a toss-up.
I was off the mark on Northeastern. Remains to be seen if we can win 2 of the next 3. All three are winnable, but we need to play D and have more than the "big 3" scoring.

bison63 
Postdoc

12-15-17 10:55 PM - Post#240293    
    In response to jkrun80

Not at all unreasonable. When you look at the games we lost badly only 1 of the 3 was to a power conf team. Two bad losses to teams we should have probably beaten is the real killer thus far.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-15-17 11:11 PM - Post#240295    
    In response to jkrun80

63 - all valid points...got to get healthy and work it out. All coaches I talked to about the Bison had the same comment - “guys hurt now better than February and better to struggle early than late”.

JK - I wouldn’t have considered 7 out of the question but 8 given the level of the opposition and the fact that 9 games were on the road does validate your a glass 🥃 half full guy! Good way to go thru life btw! I had Monmouth as a high probability win which would have put us at .500. Losing the opener and two starters has put us slightly behind the 8 ball. Win tomorrow and all of a sudden we’re wearing a new pair of glasses 🤞

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-15-17 11:28 PM - Post#240296    
    In response to Old Bison

63 - Tough to beat decent/good clubs on the road. I think we would have beaten both of them at Sojka...and if my aunt had grape 🍇 nuts she’d be my uncle...right?

bison63 
Postdoc

12-16-17 01:35 AM - Post#240301    
    In response to Old Bison

OB, this team came into the season with some people thinking it could maybe advance to the Sweet 16. The past Bison teams that won games in the Dance won or were competitive in games that this team is losing. The WVU game last year was what prompted the idea these guys could go somewhere special. I said on multiple occasions on this board that Kimbal was the key, just as he was vs WVU. But, due to injury Kimbal has not been a factor this year. Without him, best case scenario is we are a good PL team. Of course the loss of Zach, Nana or Stephen would be crippling as well, but my going in hopes were based on the assumption that Zach would be Zach, Nana would be Nana, and Stephen would be Stephen. The X factor was Kimbal, who showed us what he could be in the WVU game. That Kimbal, a year older, combined with the other 3 could maybe take us to the promissed Land. The window is closing, for this particular combination of players. Next year when Kimbal should arguably have his best year, will be a rebuilding year.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

12-16-17 10:04 AM - Post#240308    
    In response to bison63

How do you do the thing where you put prior stuff in the box?

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
12-16-17 10:08 AM - Post#240309    
    In response to Old Bison

You hit the "quote" icon, which is between the red circle (report post) and the reply icon.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
12-16-17 10:31 AM - Post#240311    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
63 - all valid points...got to get healthy and work it out. All coaches I talked to about the Bison had the same comment - “guys hurt now better than February and better to struggle early than late”.

JK - I wouldn’t have considered 7 out of the question but 8 given the level of the opposition and the fact that 9 games were on the road does validate your a glass 🥃 half full guy! Good way to go thru life btw! I had Monmouth as a high probability win which would have put us at .500. Losing the opener and two starters has put us slightly behind the 8 ball. Win tomorrow and all of a sudden we’re wearing a new pair of glasses 🤞

I would not have been as optimistic had I known Kimbal and Avi would be out. I expect Kimbal will be back midway through PL play and we will be fine against that level of competition.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.524 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:03 AM